• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is your favorite/least favorite thing about the Physical/Special split?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silverninetails

Quaaaaagggg~~~
I actually love it because it's more realistic. Maybe it's because my first pokemon game is diamond..

fschulze47

Mighty Marvo
i agree, it's more realistic, and some pokemon (im looking at azumarill) got cheated out of their abilities because they lacked a physical/special STAB that matched their types. I like it, quite alot, but defense is a lot less reliable, because, if you look at a pokemon like cloyster, with GREAT defense but pathetic special defense, it becomes less predictable, seeing as lucario can carry Aura Sphere AND Close Combat, the former of which will hit cloyster A LOT harder than the latter.

Tadashi

kiss my greens
My favorite thing about the Physical/Special split is that it all finally makes sense.

Using Alakazam as an example, it had Elemental Punches as viability. That confused me, because I never thought that Alakazam had good enough Atk power to use them properly. Only then do I find out that Electric types are considered "Special Attackers" . WHAT?! O_O That makes no damn sense to me.

Finally, this split makes everything seem correct. Elemental Punches become Physical because there is contact made, not because of their type classification o_O And things like Discharge become Special, because there is no physical contact made! Gosh it's wonderful! :D

I've just... never thought that the old system was correct. Finally, this system is one that works, and it works well.

Lion Demon

Fairy Type Champion
It makes the game more realistic and interesting.

Actually aside baenette theres nothing bad about it!

Murra Myrrh

First 5th Gen Shiny!
I think the slpit was good, REALLY good. It's kinda sad that some of my best sweepers in FR/LG kinda turned useless, but now it's easier to make strong pokemon. The only pokemon that I transfured from my old games that didn't lose value are my tanks, but even then only one of my tanks really stood out. Now the game has a more natural flow to in...IMO....Though there is one thing I'm somewhat disapointed in...Some types don't have an even amount of special and physical damage, like rock type attacks. I know most rock type pokemon are physical, but there are some other pokemon who can learn rock moves, but it doesn't mesh with their natural stats. Get what I'm saying? I'm not overly upset, it's just it would be nice.

koosbane

master breeder
I really liked the split, seeing as I didn't play the third gen. games too much, atleast not competitively. So I really think it makes sense. some attacks that aren't physical like flamethrower didn't make sense to be physical.

sages21

mysterious trainer
i liked it because irs more realistic and because many pokemon benefited from it. i think they should have made a few more attacks to help pokes who would lose viability because of this just like alakasam lost the elemental punches but got many new moves

Landotron

I think the offensive minded Pokemon got the best gain, which is good because my style is typically offensive.

Now they can use dual stab, one physical and one special. (Rain dance Kingdra comes to mind with surf and waterfall)

Although some Pokemon lost important things to them, such as Sceptile's special leaf blade, most Pokemon gained another attack that was almost as good, while probably getting a lot of other stuff too. Sceptile can still use Energy ball or Grass knot (which is occasionally better than leaf blade, although often worse) while also gaining stuff like special hidden power. Alakazam's loss is without much gain, minus a hidden power, but most offensive Pokemon either got a lot of new attacks that works off their better stat, or got more attacks to make up for some that they lost.

Defensive Pokemon, got hit hard I think. Which is good, because I'm not a defensive player. Now that Blissey has a lot more to worry about, basically every type can hurt her. There are things like Flare Blitz that can make fire Pokemon much more threatening to her.

All considered, I really like the special physical split, and my biggest reason is the physical STAB that dragons get.

Zhanton

le quant-à-soi
Now it makes tons more sense. I never really understood why certain typed moves were also physical while others were always special. Sure, it messed up some Pokes that were super good in the 3rd gen *cough*alakazam*cough* but it gave others the breath of life. =]

mudkip master

Surf's up Mudkip
hitmonchan works now not haveing s atk punchs

kablay

Freek
Absol is actually good! I loved it in R/S but never used it because it sucked... Now it's on my main team c: I mean, it's not Salamence or anything but it's really cool looking and I'm just glad it's useful now. But one thing I don't like is that the Dark type basically changed into a full-physical type; the only special attack is Dark Pulse! Yeah, it's a good attack, but it doesn't give much variety. I just wish they would have done more of a split w/the types than they did.

seraph8x

Catastrophe
Least favorite thing- Hyperbeam is now all but useless- It used to be practically a staple of every physical sweeper, but now that things like Gyarados and dragonite don't have any use since it wastes a turn and does crap damage anyway. And there are hardly enough special sweepers anyway.

Also flareon is now worse, since it has no viable physical attacks. Then again, that was always it's problem, right?

#Gecko#

The Essential One
^^^
You can use Giga Impact.

Like everyone said, I like it how its now more realistic. I always wanted Pokemon with the Physical/Special Split. The only thing I hate was that my favorite Pkmn Sceptile lost Special Leaf Blade. It can be replaced, but I loved my third gen Sceptile w/ Leaf Blade!

Toastybob

Is this real life?
Shadow Ball = Special = Epic win.

Also, Seraph8x, Hyper beam was always a waste of a turn. The split did not affect its viability at all, and, as #Gecko# pointed out, you can always replace it with Giga impact.

theclaytonator

I like everything about it. Now you can train a physical fire pokemon or a special bug pokemon and so forth.

It all makes sense now!

You have been Claytonated.

One thing i couldn't understand, was Spark.
I mean, why is it a weak no self-damage version of Volt Tackle, it's not like it's useful, I mean, most of the people here who wanted a physical electric move, would have went with Thunder Fang. It should have remained a special move.

Toastybob

Is this real life?
One thing i couldn't understand, was Spark.
I mean, why is it a weak no self-damage version of Volt Tackle, it's not like it's useful, I mean, most of the people here who wanted a physical electric move, would have went with Thunder Fang. It should have remained a special move.

Spark is the same as Thunder fang, except it has better accuracy and lacks a chance to make the opponent flinch. If Spark remained a special move, which wouldn't have made sense, it would have become completely useless, because nobody in their right mind would use that over thunderbolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.