• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is your favorite Pokemon Region, based off of all existing Pokemon Media and why?

trentsuki

Trent
I'm mainly talking about the main series regions (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos, Alola, Galar and Hisui.) But you can include spinoff Regions if you'd like, what is your favorite region, not just based off of the games, but also taking into account the Manga, Anime, TCG, and any other form of media that there is, Not just the main series games.

For me it would definitely have to be Hisui (yes, I know it's just past Sinnoh, but it's different enough for me) because I love how much it takes inspiration from Japanese culture, I love their culture, the drastic change from the present where a lot of people are under the impression that Pokemon are nothing but a obstacle for humanity to overcome in this new region they found. I love the old poke ball design, a lot more than I like the modern one, I like the new Pokemon in the region and how they all seem like Pokemon that would be in this kind of environment and I just really like their culture and way of life.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
Kalos

Bull

Just a pokemon fan
Probably Johto as it felt like an expansion to the world of Kanto when I first played Silver. If not, Unova (Black 2 map) was very interesting and reminiscing of many areas of the US that I know (or have lived in).

Random Man2

HYPER BEAM!
Johto. I love the atmosphere, and in my opinion, it has the perfect blend of traditional cities (such as Ecruteak City), developed cities (such as Goldenrod City), and natural places.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Jouto due to its history and lore in the games mostly, but also partially because of nostalgia. I wasn't pleased by its portrayal in the anime, however. There wasn't much that stood out about the region in the anime, unless being notorious for filler episodes counts.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Main Series: Definitely Hoenn followed by Kalos and Alola. Hoenn was a region I appreciated for the land vs water theme. I guess a couple of my criticisms with it is that the cities prior to ORAS didn't feel big, and the Kyushu region it's based off of has a literal frog shrine, and the closest we get to frog Pokemon in Hoenn is a Tympole from the radar.

Side Series: Oblivia from Pokemon Ranger: Guardian Signs. I liked how this region was designed. I guess I have a thing for archipelagos.

Miraidon

Blasting off at the speed of light!
It's gotta be Johto! Love the Pokémon, love the landscapes and Japanese vibes, love the games that take place there. I also have fond memories of the anime when that aired, the opening song to Johto was so fresh and adventurous! That definitely adds to the experience when it comes to the region imo.

TwilightBlade

Oh that's a tough choice. I would say Sinnoh is my favourite region by far because I love the layout but Hoenn was a good region too except for the ocean routes. Johto has its charms also even if it's really small but that's mostly Gamefreak's fault for treating it almost like an extension of Kanto. :[

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Alola its great except for those some of the art styles.
The only real bad things were: The Alola word being used a million times for hello or other meanings get tiring. And the facial joke scenes that were either black/white colors or taken out of a manga panel. And Rotom's paparazzi personality and shrill voice

Unova is my least favorite for 5 reasons
-Cilan having a connoisseur personality for everything (in short hyper nerd)
-Iris's stupid such a kid jokes
-Pikachu literally got nerfed in the first battle against Snivy
-Ash's stupidity in battles (including to only trying to use Palpitoad vs Elesa)
-A lot of episodes felt like filler with big gaps between the major cities

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Sinnoh definitely. It has a near perfect blend of exploration, lore/mythology, world building, fun characters, and memorable locations. The Sinnoh saga is also my favorite in the anime and although it’s technically treated as a different region, Hisui was also a great expansion. Alola is a close second because I love the family thematic storytelling and culture.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Probably a small margin difference between Sinnoh and Unova

Islightly prefer Unova though.

It was cool it's enhanced versions were actually sequels this time around and overall the game play was just made easier like for example asking do you want to use repels after it runs out etc.

The Gym Leaders having their own goals and hobbies outside of running Gym's made them feel more personable and I liked how your rival this time doubled as part of the evil team. The idea of Pokemon liberation certainly opened up a door for some questions

Overall, there is a reason why BW's OTS is still used in the anime to this day. The Title Screen, Gym Leader's last Pokemon etc. I enjoyed the music so much.

The anime was a vibe as well

Mirai

Alola because the Gen 7 games brought me back into the franchise after taking a long hiatus from Pokemon. I lived in Hawaii for a little while a few years ago too so the Alola region really resonated with me because of that.

Miraidon

Blasting off at the speed of light!
Alola because the Gen 7 games brought me back into the franchise after taking a long hiatus from Pokemon. I lived in Hawaii for a little while a few years ago too so the Alola region really resonated with me because of that.
Did it capture the Hawaiian vibe accurately?:)

Ryker101

Alola’s my favourite, the games were so refreshing and original. They had great story, amazing characters and a fun selection of pokemon. It was also nice having an alternate version, albeit they could’ve gone crazier with it. The anime really brought it to life by encapsulating the family themes and expands on many characters (mostly Kukui, burnet, classmates, even Guzma)

I would also put unova but the anime wasn’t good for it

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Hoenn. I liked the balance of land and sea. Found this really cool. I also loved the culture of Alola. Not the handholdy stuff, of course, but the overall culture of the region was great. I liked how tight-knit Alola felt, if that makes sense.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
Initially I wrote about three regions - Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh in both its forms - but in the end it has to be Hoenn.

I’d specifically pick the Hoenn presented in Emerald (and to a lesser extent the original Sapphire and Ruby, but I find Gen 6 Hoenn’s water routes to feel smaller and less fun, plus the Frontier being gone). It feels the most like a real adventure, with secrets to find and explore, stories to discover, and some of my favorite legends.

My most vivid memory in the series from when I was a kid is the first time I ever encountered Latias roaming on route 121, having not known about it beforehand. That was the catalyst for me getting engaged with the series, trying to discover everything I could about this wild new encounter I just had out of the blue. I remember reading online about the Starf Berry around that time, this mythical thing described as “abandoned at the world's edge” and “considered a mirage” which was such a fascinating concept to me - and then it was made the ultimate reward for beating the Battle Frontier! To this day I’m still trying to get all gold symbols with a team of my favorites, a dream that’s lasted nearly two decades.

Hoenn is the place where imagination runs free for me. Ever since playing Sapphire 20 years ago, one of my favorite themes in media is the sky, stemming from the then-postgame location of Sky Pillar. Since I’d never played the original RGBY at the time and since GSC didn’t have high levels in their postgame dungeons, seeing a level 60 Altaria appear was already a shocker, but finding Rayquaza at the top was a moment I can’t forget. I also remember browsing a Pokémon fan site that I think was called Sky Pillar at the time that used a Rayquaza theme and had Dragon Roost Island from LoZ: The Wind Waker playing, so I learned to associate these kinds of locations with that style of music. That’s something that had a deep impact on me (which was probably reinforced by Pokémon Mystery Dungeon, which also had great music and a tower in the clouds with Rayquaza at the top).

I could literally write forever about every tiny element of Hoenn that I love. The far-off mysteries like the RS Battle Tower and Southern Island, the lore underlying the Regis and other legendaries, the secret bases that you could make in the secluded corners of routes at the edge of the earth, the wide-open sea routes and all their items and underwater zones, the Elite Four battles, the challenge of the Frontier… even some things that were improved in the remakes, like Wally’s arc and the inclusion of Zinnia, and the flower symbolism surrounding both. I haven’t even touched the music, my favorite in the series - or the pure aesthetics, which I think original Hoenn does better than any other generation.

I won’t go too deep into other media, but I think it’s fair to say the movies based around Hoenn legendaries we’re all great to me as well, and while I don’t otherwise follow the anime too closely, I watched more of that series than most others.

It’s all just perfect, to me, not a single thing out of place.

GarchompTheAssassin

Water starter fan
Sinnoh for sure. If I had to make a list of my all time favorite locations/worlds in video games, I'd imagine Sinnoh would be very close to the top.

Also really fond of Unova and Johto.