• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is your favorite starter pokemon for Gen. 4?

What is your favorite starter pokemon for Gen 4?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ditto B1tch

This thread isn't new, it may have been posted years ago when Diamond and Pearl were launched out, anyways my favorite is Chimchar.

Piplup is my favorite. I had a really nice time with my Empoleon, which I feel is under appreciated.

xerxes

ようこそ!ワタシの音楽工場へへへへへ
piplup, i never really cared for the other two though piplup's design wasn't grand either.

Arlo

...and so on...
Hard call. They're all good - Piplup/Empoleon has only so-so stats, but a workable movepool and a great typing, Turtwig/Torterra is a great design, an intriguing (though sometimes unfortunate) typing, decent stats and nice STAB coverage, and Chimchar/Infernape has great stats and a huge and useful movepool. They each serve different purposes, and they each do it well.

My personal favorite is probably Turtwig/Torterra, in part because I like the design and the typing, and in part just because when I take Turtwig, Dawn takes Piplup, and that's the way it's supposed to be. :D

Cutty

Forever now
I've used three of them. My favorite will have to go to Pliplup.

MegaSerperior

<--- My life
Chimchar was literally my first Pokemon ever, so him and his evolutions will always have a special place in my heart.

Kalosian

So long
I love all three of them, but Chimchar is my favorite as it and its evolutions have always worked great for me in battles.

Charoshi

Charmander is best
It goes Turtwig, Chimchar, and than Piplup for me. I personally love Turtwig, and it was my first starter in Pearl.

Drummerdude

I tend to like the fire type starters but in this Gen Turtwig is my favorite. I really like Torterra's type, design, and stats. 4th gen actually has my favorite set of starters.

Aquarelle

Staff member
Piplup, because I like Empoleon's typing and I've found it very useful in battles.

TwitchyAssTaillow

I chose Piplup because of the Water/Steel typing and Flash Cannon was my favorite steel type move. I didn't want Chimchar because it was just another Fire/Fighting in it's 3rd stage and I used to call it a rip off of Blaziken... and then I became the biggest hypocrite with Gen 5 by using Tepig.

ZiR

Beginner Collector
Turtwig is the best choice for beat the game, it's strong and can take hits. Piplup is another good pokemon, but you to should have a nice backup for beat Gardenia. Chimchar is strong and fast but it defenses sucks and get fainted too easy, but in another hand, it start to get really useful higher levels.

In overall, I think Torterra is the best starter one in IV gen.