• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is your favorite Unova starter?

Favorite Unova Starter

• Snivy

Votes: 74 43.8%
  • Tepig

Votes: 30 17.8%
  • Oshawott

Votes: 65 38.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mega Altaria

☆~Shiny hunter▢~
Another reason that made me prefer Snivy over the other Unova starters is because when I had a first look at their official Sugimori art, Snivy looked smug and cool. Tepig was just too cheerful and Oshawott was just sad.

Bananarama

The light is coming
This was the only generation where I actually picked the Grass type (Snivy) over the Water type (Oshawott). I'd rather have a badass snake than a little seal.

SpoinkyPearl

Snivy. I really like its evolution line and design, and Grass is my favourite Pokémon type. Funny thing is, I've never picked Snivy, neither in Black nor in Black 2 because I wanted to have other Grass type in my main team (Lilligant and Whimsicott respectively). But I've been thinking to start Black 2 over again and then I'll pick Snivy as my starter.

Oshawott, hands down.

My favorites are generally design-driven: I love otters, and like the real-world equivalent, Oshawott's friggen adorable. Having it use a scallop (well, "scalchop") as an accessory and a weapon was pretty clever - made for a very cool new attack too. Samurott was a bit of a disappointment, since I (like many) was hoping the line would stick with a bipedal-otter-samurai theme...but I still enjoyed using it in my first run through Black and it hasn't dampened my enthusiasm for its first stage. Dewott is pretty perfect too.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
Snivy is definitely my favourite cuz it's similar to Treecko and I'm a fan of reptile based pokemon. I like Serperior especially cuz it looks so regal and all. ^^

Skylander Sylveon

Top Coordinator
how come no one voted Tepig? sure, in the anime, oshawott is pretty funny and all, but c'mon, floop the pig! (lol)

I'm biased because i don't like snivy since when Ash was trying to catch her she was like an annoying anime girl. :p

Its reductive type combination is one of the reasons why I'm not a huge Tepig fan myself. I didn't like choosing it as my Starter in Gen 5 knowing that it was basically a copy of Torchic's and Chimchar's evolutionary lines.

Being the same type doesn't make him a copy. By that logic you could say that Samurott and Serperior are copies of Blastoise, Feraligatr, Meganium and Sceptile.

how come no one voted Tepig? sure, in the anime, oshawott is pretty funny and all, but c'mon, floop the pig! (lol)

Hey, I voted Tepig. I like the little guy; he's the cutest of the three and his evolutions are fun to use in the games :p

Pikachu52

It's a close tie between Oshawott and Snivy but I have to go with Oshawott. Oshawott is simply one of the cutest Pokémon ever designed with that large nose, round ears, adorable little body and that big tail. Snivy's an easy second favourite though.

Alatar VGC

House Greyjoy
Tepig hands down!

It's so cute and Emboar is a beast.

I don't even care that it's fire/fighting.

I do like all 3, but Tepig wins this.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
Snivy. I liked how it's stats were set up, that had me interested from the beginning. Plus, coil is a really cool move.

grxma

Snivy. I used to love Tepig but I just don't now for some reason. Besides, who doesn't like snakes??

XXD17

Draco rex
I can go on forever about how much I love serperior. It became my favorite pokemon the moment I saw it. It's design is simple yet effective. It flows elegantly with no extra spikes or bumps. I was a little put off by how it lost its legs when it evolved, but I got over it when i realized that the design didn't need legs to be great. In terms of design, snivy was everything that treecko wasn't. Before the snivy line was a thing, my favorite pokemon was actually sceptile. However, I really don't like treecko. I just don't like its weird toes and chubby fingers. I know they are supposed to be gecko toe-pads, but they look a little too anthropomorphic. I was glad that grovyle and sceptile fixed that. Snivy though, looked perfect. It was snaky with little reptile limbs. It looked so smug and sharp with those adorable glaring eyes and those yellow collar buds. I also really enjoy servine with its stegosaurus-meets-tree snake design. Serperior I already talked about...

I don't think I have ever liked a pokemon this much before. During first gen, it was charizard, second gen was typhlosion, third gen was sceptile extending onto fourth gen. I mean I liked them a lot, but I never went out of my way to buy merchandise featuring them. You should see how much snivy/ serperior stuff I have ranging form plushes to keys chains to EVERY SINGLE serperior card.

Even though serperior was easily the worst out of the three Unova starters, I still went with it. I stuck with it through white, black AND white 2. I started to replay black with an oshawott, but that thing was just a little too disappointing. I restarted again with tepig and that thing was a monster. However, it still couldn't compare with serperior. I'm also super happy that contrary serp has finally been released albeit a little too late. It would have been crazy in gen five considering that T-flame wasn't a thing and that serp could have still used its most popular movesets today back then.

Last edited:

Sprinter1988

Oshawott because he evolves into a great pokemon. Shame he never became part fighting!
Also a shame that the anime represented it so poorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.