• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is Your Favourite Era?

Which Era is your favourite?

• The Good Old Days (Gen. I + II)

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Perfection of Pixels (Gen. III, IV & V)

Votes: 22 57.9%
  • The 3D Era (Gen. VI, VII & VIII)

Votes: 10 26.3%

• Total voters

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
It'd be easier if Gen 5 and 6 were together.

Anyway voted for the 3D era mostly because of Gen 6. It had a lot of good stuff. Triples were still allowed to exist. Chespin. Megas, easier breeding mechanics, easier EV training, easier IV checking, the PSS, PokeAmie. Gen 6 had a lot of good things going for it. Gen 7 was cool mostly because of the dismissal of HMs and the change on graphics for the overworld sprite (now a proper model). Gen 8 only had as a saving grace further improvements on some mechanics and that's about it.

Though 3-5 was a really good era.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
From an aesthetic standpoint, the Game Boy era wins and it's not even close. I almost guarantee there's some nostalgia creeping in here, but I have always preferred my games to have simpler graphics and stylization so the basic overworld and sprites appeal to me much more. I would lump Gen 3 in with this too; 4 onward is where things started to take a turn for me personally though I can't figure out exactly why. All I know is the more detailed things got, the less stylized it became to the point where the more recent games feel more like "generic anime" in style rather than anything original. Does that make sense?

Ultimately, though, I cast my vote for Gens 3-5 because at the end of the day we're talking about a game here and mechanics wise everything got ironed out to perfection in this era. Adding abilities and the physical/special split were huge depth enhancers and everything that came after is more of a tweak (Fairy type) or gimmick (Megas, Z-moves, Dynamax).

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
The GBA era was great but I think I liked the GBC era a little more because Pokemon was still new back then so everything felt more original. My favorite Pokemon is from generation 1 so maybe I'm a little biased too.

I hated having to buy batteries for my GBC but that was a small inconvenience.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Nostalgia: G1 grew up with the cartoon and the cards didn't have the games. Until i discovered emulators for mobile phones.

Stories: Gen 5... N's story was interesting and tragic. Ghetsis abused a kid who was gifted. Seeing turned into a speechless sore-loser wreck in Black and White 2 was so satisfying

Playability: Ultra Sun and Sword playability are my favorite era. the amount of clothes customization is also a big aspect.
I also dislike that HM moves persisted until Gen 7 makes them so annoying although Surf is a strong move. Also in many games you could only use a TM move once then you can never teach it to any other pokemon later in that game. Gen 5 finally did away with that limitation.

Last edited:

NeedsAName

Gens VI, VII, and VIII. Þe previous gens have some great features like þe Game Corner or Sevii Islands, but þe lack of future QoL features really hurts þem in my point of view. It's actually really cool to see þe games slowly improving and learning from þe mistakes of previous installments, like a little kid slowly going from "mama" and "dada" to "can I have a night-night story?"

bobandbill

Winning Smile
Staff member
Super Mod
I started with gen 2, so have bvious bias to that. And gen 3 had cool games, including on the GameCube. :v But overall, I feel I enjoyed gen 4 and 5 the most. Platinum was very polished and HGSS were fantastic remakes of my original Pokemon games, while BW had a nice move towards better story and other QoL changes.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I'm going to say 3d era because we got R/S remakes and Sword/Shield DLC.

UltimateNinja

Praying for the holy relics
Hoenn + DS era bar BW1.

Most content and the regions were the most fun to explore.