• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is Your In-Game Rival's Name?

mjunior3

Link Jokers!
I thought this was an interesting question, so I'll ask it.

What is your rival's name? The first name i gave mine in FR was Brock, which kinda freaked me out when I hear Brock is the Champion. Not who I thought, lol.

telivisionhead

My first rival was just Gary. Dunno why but eh. Then in my heartgold/soul silver rival I named him James and another time I named him soul when I wanted to name him silver but that made him more creepy. Now in this playthrough I'll call him silver. In 3rd gen, I forgot. In 4th gen. Barry. In 5th gen. I CAN'T NICKNAME STUPID BIANCA AND CHEREN! Wait that's probably to stop the mean names because they are annoying! In black 2 and white 2 I named him Hugh but now his Jacob.

mjunior3

Link Jokers!
I named Hugh Junior, because I'm a Jr., so it kinda fits. I also named my rival after my brother in another FR file, lol.

JediTom

is Jedi
I always and for some strange reason have always named my rival Dave or Steve. Just a thing I guess...

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Blue
Silver
Barry
Hugh

Dragoniss

I'm 26 now, why am I still here?
I named them all their normal names. Green, Silver, Barry, Hugh, so on. I prefer keeping is as close to the source material as I can. Just like I name my character Red, Gold, Brandon, ect ect.

mjunior3

Link Jokers!
I name my rivals after powerful trainers in different regions, like naming my Diamond rival Lance.

xYachu

Spicy Tuna!
I named mine noooob,... I am destinied to always beat them :p

Cyberra

pain in the ***
XD;;; I give my rivals insulting nicknames. In Diamond he was Dolt, in Pearl Doofus, in Platinum Dipstick, and in Black 2 he's Nimrod. I've forgotten when I named him in White 2.

mjunior3

Link Jokers!
xD, i actually got in trouble for doing that once! my mom was NOT happy, as i called him BigSh1t, lol

xYachu

Spicy Tuna!
Your mom actually check your games o_O?

mjunior3

Link Jokers!
no, my brother was watching, and started laughing, and my mom was wondering why. she wasn't laughing, lol

DjangoCribbs

I used to always name him after my best mate, when he still played the games. He stopped back at the R/S/E gen and since then it always depended on what I felt like when I started a game, bear in mind I'd start a new game every three or four months.
Currently, however, I have a theme. My character's name is Django on both my SS and Pt game. On each game, nicknames follow a rule. On SS they are named after actors/comedians/writers/musicians I'm particularly fond of. On Pt they are named after fictional characters, often ones created by or portrayed by ones I've named on my SS game.
As such, my rivals are named appropriately. I'm named after Django Reinhardt but when one thinks of Django nowadays they go straight to the recent film and rightly so. On SS my rival is named Caprio (DiCaprio is one character too long), reflecting his antagonistic role in the film. In Pt he is named King, reflecting the eccentric camaraderie.
It occurred to me after choosing the rival name on SS it fitted appropriately with his parentage.

mjunior3

Link Jokers!
i think i may start naming my rivals after other cartoon characters, like Yugi, Bam Bam, and Yogi, lol

zozo

SLIMED!
I totally forget what I named my first rival... I remember I named the rival Jet in my Platinum game because of the way he's always rushing around. The last time I played LG I named my rival Weed because my character name was Dahlia. In my Pokemon Yellow ROM I named my rival Raven. And most recently, I named the rival Magus in White2 because my character was named Schala (Chrono Trigger ftw!). Oh yeah, and Silver was named Wander in HeartGold because of his red hair (like Wander in Shadow of Colossus) and the fact that he seems something of a vagabond.

... ... I think I put a little too much thought into crap like this, lol! xD

*~Silver*~

I always just keep their original names. I kept Hugh as Hugh, although in my first run-through I was starting the game off and my friend was watching so I named him Santa as a joke. I restarted after she left and put the original name back. Barry was Barry, and so on.

mjunior3

Link Jokers!
xD i don't think i ever used the original names. well, maybe once when i was lazy. oh, in crystal, i named myself Neo, and named my rival Trinity (Matrix trilogy)

☭Azimuth_055☣

Thou enraged?
My in-game Rival Names are:

RBY: Blue
GSCHGSS: Silver
RSE: May/Brendan (depending on gender)
DPPt: Barry
B2W2: Hugh