• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is your oldest Pokémon game memory?

Mirai

Playing Blue version for the first time especially my first playthrough and how I came really close to losing against my rival at the Indigo Plateau and only won by sheer luck.

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Mine was choosing a Squirtle as my starter Pokemon in FireRed and catching a Pidgey on Route 1 (I remember it was Modest and Squirtle was Jolly, which is ironic considering neither is good for these particular Pokemon, unless you count Mega Pidgeot).

Gargoss

Hotshot
My first Pokémon memory wasn't of the Games, but the Anime. Living in Australia back then, the only outlet for Dubbed Anime was a small 2-3 Hour morning TV block called Cheez TV. While the Anime they did get was some of the best at the time back then (like the only known official Dub of Tekkaman Blade, renamed to Teknoman), the most relevant was the airing of Pokémon.

I got up one school morning to get organised, and was switching through the channels before freezing on the channel with a Cartoon I had never seen before. I had just happened to come in just as one of the key points of Ash's career was happening - catching his very First Pokémon, Caterpie!

I kept watching the episode, hoping that it'd tell me the name of the show at some point, but the producers of Cheez TV had cut all the non-episode parts for time. I would find out the next morning though, as the Title Sequence was left in - soon after, advertisements for the Games started airing, and I got a copy of Pokémon Blue Version when it came out...

Yes, we actually got the Anime before the games down here. Though if I wasn't hooked on the Anime back then, I would probably never have even noticed the Pokémon games until much later...

Last edited:

RedJirachi

Veteran member
My earliest vivid memory is playing Leafgreen trying to soft reset for a blue Porygon during a family vacation in Rotorua. Been too long since I last went there

MrJechgo

Winning a Mew at Toys'R'Us by getting sticker cards and peeling the Mew one, back when Gen 1 (and Yellow) was out. If there was a "winner" underneath, you could collect a Mew ^_^

first memory was why can't i choose charmander or Bulbasaur or squirtle - just got pikachu - now know because it was pokemon yellow version not red :D

dementeddurian

Love Ball Lover
I still remember my grandparents coming from Georgia and giving me and my brother the original games back in the late 90's.

I got Red and my brother got Blue.

It's been over 20 years since, but I have that memory ingrained in my mind for the rest of my life.

Labbielsen

My oldest Pokémon game memory is of my starter Pokémon, Charmander. I remember being so excited to start my journey and catch new Pokémon.

Victreebong

Gives 'em the slip..
October 1998, Prof. Oak telling me about the exciting world of Pokémon from my cousin’s Game Boy. Changed my life.

SunGodNika1997

You can call me Tanner.
I have vague memories of "playing" Yellow and Silver, though since I couldn't read properly by that point, I wasn't able to get very far or comprehend them until revisiting them later.

However, what I vividly remember is playing through Sapphire for the first time, my first game proper, and getting stuck in Slateport City for the longest time because I never realized you had to talk to Captain Stern's assistant in the shipyard.

Jesness

Togekiss Enthusiast
The original Blue version was the first Pokemon game I ever played but my first memory has nothing to do with gameplay.
"Pokemon... Pokemon... why does that name sound familiar? OH! Wait, that's that Japanese cartoon that gave a bunch of kids seizures, isn't it? They made a game outta this?" I was a really stupid kid...:rolleyes:

Yardas

Throwing the master ball on some random Krabby in Pokémon Blue and then realizing I could have used it on Zapdos for example(?). I surely didn't know about the true effect of that particular item back in the day.