• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is your opinion for rng? is it hack or not?

BritishLanguage

I enjoy earth day
I vaguely recall a massive, 1000+ post thread dedicated to something similar that got locked cause it degenerated to next to nothing, generally speaking. There were, of course, respectable opinions and intelligent debate from a few users on both sides of the matter, but a lot was utter ignorance or spam.
The topic of that thread was "Is RNG Cheating?". Which was, at its heart, an intelligent question asking for the opinion of the reader on the matter.

Short story being: the point of this thread is, as best I can tell, "is RNG hacking". Bluntly speaking, hell no it is not hacking, and that is fact, not opinion. So the matter of "is it cheating?" is an opinion, the matter of "is it hacking" is a factual "no".

Also why are we bringing up the "smogon hivemind and hooded ninjas holding a dagger to your throat if you don't use TrickScarf Rotom-W" nonsense? Completely unrelated.

Now... my opinion on the matter at hand.
No, I don't believe RNG is hacking. There is absolutely no interaction with any external hardware or software, nothing is changed/edited/modified. An RNG Abused pokemon will not be hacked on any legality checker, be it Game Freak or... other online legality checkers that cannot be discussed as decided by staff to the best of my knowledge.
They are generated by the exact same, unaltered built-in algorithms. You cannot RNG a Sturdy Shedinja, you cannot RNG a Wondertomb, you cannot RNG a Cross Chop Haxorus, you cannot RNG a Shiny Reshiram.

As for RNG Reporter: yes, its an external program. No, it does not alter or interact at all with the game or DS, and does not download/upload/edit anything. Just like an IV calc: external program, no interaction with the cart and console.
It is, in a way, a calculator with a calender. I've compared it to astrology before and I'll do it again.
An Astrologer predicts a comet will pass by the Earth, and will be visible in the night sky over, say, the United Kingdom for a few minutes around midnight. The speed, trajectory, and positions of the comet and Earth were all predicted using known mathematics and formulas about these heavenly bodies and a calender and calculator were used to determine when and where this would happen.
Did he hack the comet, the Earth, time itself, or all of the above?

So yes, I know how to use RNG Reporter, my pokemon are RNG Abused, and no that doesn't make me better than anyone. I've never had a chef insult me for not knowing how to bake a cake, and so I'm not going to insult someone who doesn't know how to RNG. Its rough to learn, some people feel it is cheating (and that is their respectable opinion), or just don't want to bother with it: that's fine. Its been a loong time since I've done a Wi-Fi battle, but I'm still well aware its customary (and I believe required?) to let the opponent know that I will be using said RNG'd mons.

But I'm not going to let someone call me a hacker without some pretty solid debate. As that, imo, would be an insult.

One word:
DIZ​

hack, you (rng abusers) are using a program separate from the game card or any gamefreak/nintendo related program to practically make pokémon as you please... you are playing god lol

BritishLanguage

I enjoy earth day
Ehem, I was just stating my opinion. No need to fuss over it. Hacking can mean more than just 'an external device modifying a game save'. Now now, I don't want to argue.

It can also mean a synonym for cutting.
Which RNG is not.
AVOID DOUBLE POST LIKE A BOSS:
hack, you (rng abusers) are using a program separate from the game card or any gamefreak/nintendo related program to practically make pokémon as you please... you are playing god lol
It(RNGreporter) is not directly hacking. It is abusing the predictability of the game mechanics, making the predictions needed to create the perfect pokemon. Hack? No. Cheating? Up to opinion. So obviously, you believe that it's CHEATING, not hacking.

Last edited:

Froggy

Momentai
Please go back and read a few pages before you make yourself look like an idiot.
RNG reporter does not alter your game at all. It's a calculator and nothing more. You can RNG without it provided you're good at math.

My opinion is stop making threads about this or I'm going to beat you to death with each other.

Also it's not hacking. It's just playing the game. Technically, you're doing the same things you do when you play the game normally, just carefully.

ProjectTitan313

Fire breathing moth
One word:
DIZ​

Wait, are you referring to my first paragraph about the "RNG is cheating" topic being spewed on (Diz's trolling in particular), or comparing me to him? I'm not mad or anything just a tad confused. :p

^ The great one hath now spoken!!

ilyu2 Razor <3
But trust me, RandomSpot and numerous others had this well and taken care of, reading back a bit my post was almost unnecessary lol.

Please go back and read a few pages before you make yourself look like an idiot.
RNG reporter does not alter your game at all. It's a calculator and nothing more. You can RNG without it provided you're good at math.

"What is your opinion for rng? is it hack or not?"
hack, most people still need an external device for it to work

BritishLanguage

I enjoy earth day

Injecting code into the game to modify it as it wouldn't normally do is hacking.
Predicting the exact times that the game will do something by a complex math formula is not hacking. It doesn't matter if there was an external device. Looking on Serebii's Pokedex for the level-up moves of Maractus, by your logic, is hack-to-the-ing because GF didn't make your computer.

Froggy

Momentai
It never touches your game at any point. So using a calculator is apparently hacking to you.

With your logic, I hack every time I go to the grocery store, the cashier hacks, the accountants hack and the whole world is one shitty hack.

whatever, if you feel you need to defend yourself so strongly about a mere kids game thats ok with me... i just gave my opinion, and like to see how all rng abusers flip out when anyone calls out their ways

THE WORLD IS A BIG HACK

DBK

Renegade Trainer
whatever, if you feel you need to defend yourself so strongly about a mere kids game thats ok with me... i just gave my opinion, and like to see how all rng abusers flip out when anyone calls out their ways

THE WORLD IS A BIG HACK

So basically you just admitted that you are a troll. Good to know.

Since your opinion is factually incorrect, and you admitted that you are a troll, your views on this matter have now become invalid and your presence here is no longer required (or desired).

Thank you, don't come again.

all of you should really go and seek for professional help if you need of a kids game to make you feel big, rpg's games are way for people with little to none acomplishes in the real world to feel important

DBK

Renegade Trainer
all of you should really go and seek for professional help if you need of a kids game to make you feel big, rpg's games are way for people with little to none acomplishes in the real world to feel important

lol Says the guy trolling a pokemon forum (who probably plays the games as thoroughly as most of the people here).

And kudos for equating being factual/logical about the thread topic with trying to use the game to make us feel big. Not many trolls are capable of being that creative.

Proving our point like a boss.

Oh that's right. We are shunning you.

*goes back to shunning*

Hidden Power

Come on now. Who honestly cares about "the spirit of the game"?

The last time I checked, there are people who do, as well as people who don't. The fact that this board exists and that not everyone shares the same opinion support that.

From wikipedia,
Cheating refers to immoral way of achieving a goal. It is generally used for the breaking of rules to gain advantage in a competitive situation. The rules infringed may be explicit, or they may be from an unwritten code of conduct based on morality, ethics or custom, making the identification of cheating a subjective process

RNG isn't hacking, because "hacking" is a technical term in the field of computing, and modification of code is one of the way. RNG doesn't do that. And hacking does not always carry a negative connotation either, people working in software security do that legally for a living.

But cheating isn't defined so technically, so if you THINK it's cheating. then that's your opinion. But if you say RNGing isn't cheating BECAUSE it doesn't use external device or anything, your reason only supports the fact that RNG isn't hacking, but has nothing to do with whether it's considered to be cheating by anyone.

Juggernaut_Nomad-Trooper

Flying Gym leader
It's bug abuse. Until they figure out how to use the wi-fi antenna to get random signals and use that (with other things) to seed help the RNG, they can not patch this bug.

The best way I think to fix the RNG problem would be to use random singles picked up from wi-fi, the charge in the battery, the clock, a counter that saves how many times you loaded your save and a preset number that's unique to each cartridge.

Yes, you could manipulate that, but it would be insanely difficult, beyond most peoples means. Plus, you would have to use outside devices to manipulate it. No room not to cal it cheating. But alas, I don't work for Game Freak.

Erymry

Only Slightly Normal
I don't think it's hacking at all. As many others have said, it's not altering the coding of the game at all. It is, however, manipulating the way the game creates "random" numbers. I personally, don't do it. You might say I'm leaning more towards the "it's cheating" side of things, but I don't really see much problem in doing it. If you happen to be a competitive minded person, then it can really cut down the time.

Last edited:

7 tyranitars

RNG = Random number generate, so no.