• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

what is your opinion on cynical pokemon videos?

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
like Gireum Red for example

I think after X and Y there has been increase in these opinions on youtube and gen 8 defiantly saw the increase of idea of Pokemon as "fallen brand"
Do you agree or disagree?

MidnightHo-Oh

My opinion? I actually enjoy the fact that PokéTubers are feeling comfortable enough to be able to be more openly critical of the games, and have videos that highlight and focus solely on the flaws of different generations or specific games (both factual and opinion based flaws, btw). And while there are exceptions, a lot of PokéTubers cover both the awesome/favorite/best things about Pokémon as well as the problems/awful/least favorite things. Multiple PokéTubers I follow do this, especially "Everything Wrong with Generation ___" or "Why _____ Is Terrible" type videos mixed in with all the praise-based videos, and I never think they're awful for recognizing problems. In fact, a lot of these videos are enjoyable because they encourage you to look more critically at your own opinions and maybe see things you never noticed before.

Regardless of whether the video is positive or negative, majority of these videos also preface that is only their opinion and you are free to disagree. Everybody has their own unique opinions, and to be able to openly discuss these opinions is awesome. Being able to look critically at the games and see both the good and the bad even in your absolute favorite games/generations is significantly better than pretending as if your favorite is flawless.

Do I feel the increased presence is promoting hate or the idea of a fallen brand? No. Do I feel it's sign of being more open to different opinions? Yes.

Last edited:

roottwo

I agree gen 6 was not very special at all the only major thing was the switched to 3D and one of the most boring anime era in years,
but these poketubers are prob got nutin else to do in there lives but talk about pokemon.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
I like the Gen 6 episodes except a few episodes like "Love Strikes, Eevee Yikes." that made Quilladin creepy.
I dont care about people having opinion videos. i don't criticize that since people are entitled to have opinions.

If you want a bad pokemon anime the Gen 5 is bad, slow pacing between towns and most episodes are like filler. Ash also makes dumb decisions like only bringing Palpitoad against Elesa and going back for his other pokemons in a fight?
Master Quest and Sinnoh also had very slow pacing between plots.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
I love gen 5 anime they atleast go places
Still things like getting to the finale of the Gym Cub Trial final battles or what they were called dragged on for too long and gym pacing was really long as well.

Team Plasma was underused. They had a episode including the Genie Legendaries but it was barely 2 episodes and they were forgotten.

SoraFan23

Generation 4 was how I got into Pokémon
They are honest about what Pokemon was at the time and how much it has changed over the years for better or worse. Me personally I like them because it gives like an honest view on how certain people view Pokemon these days. I am more of a neutral fan of Pokemon. I don't hate it nor do I like it as much. I just play the games for fun and not take it so seriously.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I don’t think the quality has declined, the audience just grew up.

but then again i was never a big fan of pokemon to begin with…..
Thinking about it, how did you end up finding the forum anyway, not being that much of a fan?

Ryker101

I generally agree with them. I think the shift to 3D hurt the quality of the games in the long run. Because the graphics are much more intensive other aspects like exploration or story tend to be underdeveloped. They also keep releasing them every 3 years, despite more workload. Game freak isn’t the problem imo but its the executives favouring more quantity > quality which leaves a lot of the recent ones feeling unpolished or having some glaring flaws

TwilightBlade

Honestly I like them on the few occasions that I've sat down to watch them. I think there's an overwhelming amount of positive Pokemon videos on YT so getting a negative/cynical perspective is only fair. And alot of the times those videos do raise some good points. :]

WildHennaCharizard

Like others said it's more of a case of you grew up and no longer the target audience. Another thing is back when gen 5 came out the games did try to get more mature and add new stuff but the fans just whined that the Pokemon were too different. Lastly the games industry as a whole has grown and evolved since 8 bits on home console to 3d graphics and online play and to kept up and make a profit the companies need to follow.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
I have many problems with them:

1. They're a waste of my time. Granted, I waste my time all the time, but I'd rather watch something I'd actually enjoy or actually play games.
2. The opinions feel somewhat samey. Many have criticized 3d Pokemon games, that I don't think that opinion is merely in a vacuum.
2a. Conversely, certain games are put on a golden pedestal. Again, this opinion doesn't feel like it exists in a vacuum.
3. Many use bad faith arguments, or arguments that don't make logical sense. Take what happened in 2019.
4. I don't blame Poketubers specifically for this, but YouTube runs an algorithm that rewards clickbait and gotcha thumbnails.
5. Anybody can make a YouTube channel with the right equipment.
6. No Patrick, hot takes is not a personality trait.

Nikita Dracovish

THE NUMBERS, MASON!
I say this as someone who left Pokemon for a long time: 99% it's dumbass grognards complaining the games don't have enough child murder, hyping up the (still for kids) manga, or wanting everything to be exactly like Red/Blue and complaining about Hop/Hau/some ****ing new character they make their entire personality to hate.

In essence:

Z4ITA5K.jpg

I have many problems with them:

1. They're a waste of my time. Granted, I waste my time all the time, but I'd rather watch something I'd actually enjoy or actually play games.
2. The opinions feel somewhat samey. Many have criticized 3d Pokemon games, that I don't think that opinion is merely in a vacuum.
2a. Conversely, certain games are put on a golden pedestal. Again, this opinion doesn't feel like it exists in a vacuum.
3. Many use bad faith arguments, or arguments that don't make logical sense. Take what happened in 2019.
4. I don't blame Poketubers specifically for this, but YouTube runs an algorithm that rewards clickbait and gotcha thumbnails.
6. No Patrick, hot takes is not a personality trait.

based

seriously, if you hate the modern gameplay THAT BAD then play a goddamn game mod! there's like a kajillion!!

masdog

What is the airspeed of an unladen Swellow?
It depends.

First, there is a difference between critical and cynical. Looking at things with a critical eye and acknowledging flaws or issues in the games is a good thing. The best critical videos often look at things in context.

I love critical videos because they force me to think about things, and I often walk away with a different perspective.

I hate cynical videos. They’re just constant negativity, and they don’t add anything constructive to the conversation.

Compare Lumiose Trainer Zac or Charusaru to Pokerferlax. The first two are critical - they point out the negatives or what doesn’t work while also pointing out the positives. While Pokerferlax is…clickbait cynicism.

Any idiot with a smartphone and the willingness to do the work can run a YouTube channel…

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I appreciate them even if I find a lot of them to have the same structure (3D models are lifeless, games are getting easy, graphics look bad etc.). I don’t always agree with them but it’s nice to see people express their opinions without others trying to insinuate that any criticism is on the same level as BBND. Don’t like when they make personal attacks at Game Freak though. Quite annoying seeing people equate any of these videos as looking to say a hot take (none of their opinions are hot takes) just for the sake of being controversial. Also weird seeing people complain about them on social media when they could just not watch them.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
A necessary evil. Nothing no matter how popular is beyond criticism

mtqc

MY BEANS!
I never felt the need to watch these types of videos; they usually just bum me out. I'm glad they're able to share their opinions, though. There's always room for improvement, and I hope GF listens to the audience for the things they could fix, but I know I can't handle constant negativity over things I enjoy, so I just avoid them.

Sakuyamon

Like others said it's more of a case of you grew up and no longer the target audience.
That's pretty bad logic towards some of the complaints though. I still like the newer games despite being older than the core demographic for a Pokefan but that doesn't negate the valid criticisms that some Poketubers talk about in their videos.

I don't watch these kinds of videos too often but I have no real problem with them either. If you don't like hearing negative opinions about Pokemon then don't watch them or interact with Pokefans in general if it bums you out so much that people have differing opinions.