• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

what is your opinion on cynical pokemon videos?

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
And now people are complaining that let's go feature dosen't warm people of attacking a shinny pokemon.

MidnightHo-Oh

And now people are complaining that let's go feature dosen't warm people of attacking a shinny pokemon.
I mean, they're not exactly wrong, to be fair. It shouldn't lead to anyone saying the entire game sucks, but it is a valid and understandable concern/criticism. And while it may be a meaningless concern to some, it doesn't mean you should belittle the people who do care.

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
And while it may be a meaningless concern to some, it doesn't mean you should belittle the people who do care.
I think it is just so minor thing to even care. If you want shinny then don't use let's go feature. Simple as that.

MidnightHo-Oh

I think it is just so minor thing to even care. If you want shinny then don't use let's go feature. Simple as that.
It's all about perspective. Something that feels or seems incredibly minor and meaningless to you could be incredibly major and important to someone else (and vice versa)... and you could both have these opposing opinions at the exact same time without one person being more right/wrong than the other, because everyone has different opinions and everyone has a different perspective, and nobody should ever be bashed or hated for having different opinions. It's when people try forcing their opinion as the "right and only way" that problems arise.

For example, a child may pick up a rock from a beach. You may see it as just a dumb rock, one of millions, and attribute absolutely no value or meaning to it. But to that child, this rock may be a one of a kind treasure that they will cherish forever as a beautiful souvenir of their day at the beach. Are either of you more wrong or right than the other? Absolutely not, and you would be terrible to ruin this child's happiness, as you both can go on with life perfectly fine with your completely opposite opinions without any hate towards the other.

In a more Pokémon related example, let's look at the Exp. Share and how it's been handled lately. You clearly have a strong hatred towards the whole party always sharing experience from battles, but I actually really enjoy this aspect of the games as it makes training up my whole party of Pokémon significantly easier and quicker rather than having to waste my time tediously swapping and grinding to give myself a balanced team. Again, are either of us more right than the other? Should either of us bash on the other for having a differing opinion? No.

Also, if you are just wanting to complain about complaining and are imagining a world without any complaints or criticisms or disagreements where everyone has the same feelings and desires and perspectives... I'm sorry, but that's completely and utterly unrealistic.

Last edited:

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
You clearly have a strong hatred towards the whole party always sharing experience from battles,
eh I kinda gave up on that point now. recently I kinda found that it is pointless to complain to companies. I decided that fun is what matters most.

Vini310

> Pokémon should be held up to the standards of other RPGs.
> Mandatory Exp. Share is the standard in other RPGs.
Mmm... I wonder why Pokémon decided to make Exp. Share mandatory?

As for the main topic: back in the day they complained on forums, now they complain on YouTube, it's just a natural evolution. I still don't care about 99% of them.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I generally don't pay too much attention to fan videos, but from what little I've seen, I tend to agree with some points that the so-called "cynical" videos point out, but I don't actively follow any content creators who only make that type of video.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
I mean, as long as it's not completely cynical, I really don't care. It's just a video. I'm going to forget I watched it after a few days.

Morty05

Ghost-type trainer
> Pokémon should be held up to the standards of other RPGs.
> Mandatory Exp. Share is the standard in other RPGs.
Mmm... I wonder why Pokémon decided to make Exp. Share mandatory?

As for the main topic: back in the day they complained on forums, now they complain on YouTube, it's just a natural evolution. I still don't care about 99% of them.
people are salty because GF is taking away their chose. I think that is root of their complaint. They don't mind S/M style and they argue that they want to have agency to choose and not have it forced on them.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
Any idiot with a smartphone and the willingness to do the work can run a YouTube channel…
It's kind of the main takeaway I want people to get from this topic. Don't get me wrong, there are youtubers who put in the effort to think of meaningful essays into topics, but even their opinions have to be taken as just that: opinions.

To explain some of my other points, I wish Heart Gold/Soul Silver were criticized more, and Sword/Shield prasied more, not because I think HGSS as lesser games to Sword/Shield, but I think it would be more nuanced to have those type of discussions, rather than feeding a narrative. Also, too often people will try to define themselves by what games they don't like. I see it all the time on Twitter discussions. I really think looking at games we like is a much more interesting discussion that is oddly less popular for whatever reason. BTW, I really like Pikmin 2. It's my favorite of the Pikmin series.

sutellakiara

Shirona, my beloved...
It's kind of the main takeaway I want people to get from this topic. Don't get me wrong, there are youtubers who put in the effort to think of meaningful essays into topics, but even their opinions have to be taken as just that: opinions.

To explain some of my other points, I wish Heart Gold/Soul Silver were criticized more, and Sword/Shield prasied more, not because I think HGSS as lesser games to Sword/Shield, but I think it would be more nuanced to have those type of discussions, rather than feeding a narrative. Also, too often people will try to define themselves by what games they don't like. I see it all the time on Twitter discussions. I really think looking at games we like is a much more interesting discussion that is oddly less popular for whatever reason. BTW, I really like Pikmin 2. It's my favorite of the Pikmin series.
If people's complain focus on some particular games rather than others and if the complains start to feel "samey" I think it is for a reason.
You cannot force "nuance" on a discussion, things are as they are and as they are is how people see them.
You're asking people to stop criticizing something and start criticizing something else just for the sake of it, so that it feels "fair". I wonder how is that fair at all.

Sakuyamon

Well yeah and nobody is pretending otherwise. Why does it bother people that some members of the fandom have opinions that deviate from the norm?

If you don't agree with them that's totally fine but trying to dismiss their right to an opinion or even just dismissing the work that they put into making videos is kind of rude if you ask me.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
If people's complain focus on some particular games rather than others and if the complains start to feel "samey" I think it is for a reason.
You cannot force "nuance" on a discussion, things are as they are and as they are is how people see them.
You're asking people to stop criticizing something and start criticizing something else just for the sake of it, so that it feels "fair". I wonder how is that fair at all.
I stated earlier that I don't think these opinions are in a vacuum. Not that I think it's an end-all, but the metacritic scores of Pokemon games are pretty much all positive, so what's with that descrepancy? I really think some of the same opinions are reguritated and people want to take those opinions as factual. More of my point was that you can't tell me HGSS were perfect games and Sword/Shield did everything wrong. Take a deep look into everything, whether you enjoy it or not.
Well yeah and nobody is pretending otherwise. Why does it bother people that some members of the fandom have their own opinion on things? If you don't agree with them that's totally fine but trying to dismiss their right to an opinion or even just dismissing the work that they put into making videos is kind of dickish if you ask me.
That's my problem. For many (but not all) cases, it doesn't feel like their "own". Rather, it's what shakes up the most views.
When did I dismiss anybody's right to an opinion?

Edit: It also seems kind of dickish to dismiss the work the developers put into Pokemon games, but what do I know, right?

Anyway, replies here and elsewhere on these forums don't really inspire me to think this is just a cog in a machine.

Last edited:

sutellakiara

Shirona, my beloved...
I stated earlier that I don't think these opinions are in a vacuum. Not that I think it's an end-all, but the metacritic scores of Pokemon games are pretty much all positive, so what's with that descrepancy? I really think some of the same opinions are reguritated and people want to take those opinions as factual. More of my point was that you can't tell me HGSS were perfect games and Sword/Shield did everything wrong. Take a deep look into everything, whether you enjoy it or not.

That's my problem. For many (but not all) cases, it doesn't feel like their "own". Rather, it's what shakes up the most views.
When did I dismiss anybody's right to an opinion?

Edit: It also seems kind of dickish to dismiss the work the developers put into Pokemon games, but what do I know, right?

Anyway, replies here and elsewhere on these forums don't really inspire me to think this is just a cog in a machine.
Opinions don't come out of nowhere either, they all have to start somewhere. That said, sometimes they do become distorted and over-exaggerated as time passes.
Mind you, I completely understand your point regarding parroting, but I feel that parroting, true parroting, or outragebait for that matter, is very very easy to discern. If someone who makes a three hours long video doing their utmost to dissect why this game suck balls I really doubt they're just mindlessly copypasting someone else's opinion.

I believe the discrepancy you mention there can be simply explained with the casual fan vs hardcore fan divide.

I mean, everyone puts work on everything they do, but let's be honest, what people care about in the end are results.
Tons and tons of people work hard, how many of them are rightfully rewarded? How many of them obtain a reward equivalent to that of the work they put into doing something? How many times has someone worked until their hands bleed just for all their hard work not pay off in the end?
That someone worked hard at something does not give them a free pass for everything nor makes them exempt of criticism nor does entitle them to results.

At the end of the day, in this specific example at the very least, it is a company putting out a product and I wholeheartedly believe that consumer has all the right in the world to complain if they think the product is lacking, specially so if they are paying for it.

People are so harsh with the games sometimes, not because they dislike dislike the games, or because they hate Pokemon, far from it. If they didn't like it then they wouldn't be so disappointed.

keepitsimple

site of lies
i still have fun with a lot of the newer games; the criticism made by these youtubers can often be stuff that's not a big deal. watched a few of these so i could make an actual reply

also if I'm making an educated guess, a lot of them likely got their break on youtube by complaining about pokemon around the time national dex was a big thing and then they realized there's an audience for this lol. so who knows how much of their complaints are good faith and how much is pandering to fans of these channels. ig i respect the grind tho

Auraninja basically got it right here. it's how these guys get paid after all, they want to put out a video that's not going to be controversial with their audience, so i would take their complaints with a grain of salt

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
i still have fun with a lot of the newer games; the criticism made by these youtubers can often be stuff that's not a big deal. watched a few of these so i could make an actual reply

also if I'm making an educated guess, a lot of them likely got their break on youtube by complaining about pokemon around the time national dex was a big thing and then they realized there's an audience for this lol. so who knows how much of their complaints are good faith and how much is pandering to fans of these channels. ig i respect the grind tho
I've noticed around the time the franchise moved to Switch with Let's Go that a lot more Pokétubers would only comeback to discuss trailers, leaks, & the game for like a month for things like guides and trivia before dipping even if they don't enjoy the game just because they know it guarantees them views so I wouldn't doubt some of these are in bad faith just for the attention. Wouldn't say all though since some offer genuine criticism

Ryker101

I like the ones that are actually specific, like discussing the change in region designs. There was one that showed how older regions were less linear, how towns had more side content (minigames, landmarks, etc) and established a better sense of lore. The npc dialogue was more meaningful, nowadays I’ve found they can just spout the most obvious or pointless nonsense, Also newer games tend to have more blocked off areas that you can still see. I love Gen 7 but I realised how guilty they are of this. A lot of routes are just straight lines, some towns you just rush past and areas like ultra megalopolis left much to be desired

The modding ones are also cool and actually constructive. When they fix following pokemon, battle sprites, stuff like that. It is disappointing at how simple some of these changes could be and it’s nice how some people aren’t just complaining, but trying to improve it for everyone else