• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is your opinion on Kikuna and Renji (Chrysa and Ren in English Dub) in Pokemon Journeys?

Spider-Phoenix

#ChespinGang
Neutral on them. Honestly, I think the show could have done without them anyway.

BlueLight

Neutral on them. Honestly, I think the show could have done without them anyway.
However, there were several episodes where I feel their presence made them slightly livelier (those episodes, also, at least fleshed them out to a little extent), eg. Best Friend,....Worst Nightmare which depicted Ren being fearful of paranormal activites and then The Gengar's Curse where Ren was acquainted with Chloe since Yamper was delivered to Cerise and Chrysa was jealous of her little sister and episodes which showed them giving Ash and Goh pointers. Also the two assistants had something in common, their love for cute Pokemon , though Ren's is much more clear.

Last edited:

YelST

watch Roukin
Chrysa and Ren are, imo, the anime's take on Blanche and Spark. Eventually they'll get some focus but for now are just fun side characters.

RetroPokeFan

They're alright I suppose and I like both Casey Mongillo and Billy Kametz voicing them but out of the two I'm leaning more torwards Chrysa than Ren, poor guy needs an episode of his own in the future.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
Chrysa has a bit of a fun quirky personality between her love of eating contests and very unhealthy obsession of Psyduck, while Ren is . . . um . . . he's just there with his Magnemite Francois, I guess.

I want to think that they're sort of opposites with Chrysa looking like the serious assistant but she's actually the crazy & sloppy one, while Ren looks like an immature mess but he's the most mature & professional one, but we need to see more of Ren in the series since he's just a punching bag for Gengar's pranks right now

BlueLight

They're alright I suppose and I like both Casey Mongillo and Billy Kametz voicing them but out of the two I'm leaning more torwards Chrysa than Ren, poor guy needs an episode of his own in the future.
I do like their English voices, but I like the Japanese voices a little more than them.
I have a small complaint for Chrysa's voice actress' dubbing of JN047, her voice mostly didn't match the Sayaka Senbongi's voice, in terms of matching the lines in the Japanese version. Chrysa's cheering in the Japanese version was degraded by the English dubbing, sounded artificial. Despite this, the Englsh dub was equally nostalgic as the Japanese version due to the dubbing of the one-time characters and Chrysa's English dubbing is actually good.

Last edited:

BlueLight

Chrysa has a bit of a fun quirky personality between her love of eating contests and very unhealthy obsession of Psyduck, while Ren is . . . um . . . he's just there with his Magnemite Francois, I guess.

I want to think that they're sort of opposites with Chrysa looking like the serious assistant but she's actually the crazy & sloppy one, while Ren looks like an immature mess but he's the most mature & professional one, but we need to see more of Ren in the series since he's just a punching bag for Gengar's pranks right now
Yes, it's true. But there were several instances where Ren and Chrysa showed opposite personalities, in Ren's case, him being the victim of Gengar's pranks showed his fearful side, clear in Best Friend.....Worst Nightmare.
Chrysa showed no fear of Gengar in JN057 (episode focussed mainly on her) after being scared twice by the latter.

Mr.Munchlax

Great Ball Rank Trainer
I do like their English voices, but I like the Japanese voices a little more than them.
I have a small complaint for Chrysa's voice actress' dubbing of JN057, her voice mostly didn't match the Sayaka Senbongi's voice, in terms of matching the lines in the Japanese version. Chrysa's cheering in the Japanese version was degraded by the English dubbing, sounded artificial. Despite this, the Englsh dub was equally nostalgic as the Japanese version due to the dubbing of the one-time characters and Chrysa's English dubbing is actually good.
I kind of felt that way about Casey Mognolio’s performance at the beginning of the episode, more specifically their first line when they were cheering. However, I thought their high pitches got better as the episode progressed and they managed to match Sayaka Senbongi’s performance by the halfway point.

BlueLight

I kind of felt that way about Casey Mognolio’s performance at the beginning of the episode, more specifically their first line when they were cheering. However, I thought their high pitches got better as the episode progressed and they managed to match Sayaka Senbongi’s performance by the halfway point.
Actually, I like Billy Kametz's voice more than Casey Mongillo's, but to me, Mongillo's voice acting as Chrysa was better to me in the first 36 episodes of the English dub. When I first heard her voice and then watched the entire English dub of JN057, I felt really odd about Chrysa's voice. In fact I liked the original version's Chrysa's voice a lot better than the one in the dub. I'm not actually criticizing the dubbing of Chrysa in all the episodes, but to me, the first 36 episodes had that natural voice.

Last edited:

BlueLight

I’m with you here, don’t care too much for Renji but Kikuna seems like she adds more flavor to his blandness.
True, but I hope Ren gets an episode or two to his name like Chrysa had. But, him falling for Gengar's pranks makes him the recurring comic relief, except one time in JN059, where he at least managed to not scream.[/SPOLER]

Last edited:

SerenaRulez

They are ok as characters but I would rather see the assistants from the Pokemon Go mobile game be Prof. Cerise's helpers instead of Ren and Chrysa.

BlueLight

They are ok as characters but I would rather see the assistants from the Pokemon Go mobile game be Prof. Cerise's helpers instead of Ren and Chrysa.
You mean Spark, Blanche, Candela? I don't think that will be great. Also they look odd to me. Plus, Cerise being an anime exclusive professor (not having appeared in any game, and will never be), then he also needs anime exclusive assistants. Ren and Chrysa are great recurring characters, and why have a series taking place in a lab with no assistants, just a professor. Both of them are great in appearances though some criticize Ren for the same along with several other reasons.

BlueLight

I like their designs and they’re overall decent characters but I can’t say that I’d miss them if they were gone. Maybe I’m spoiled after Kukui and Burnet from SM
Well, I like Kukui and Burnet too, they were like Alolan parents to Ash and when he returned, they called him a part of their family. I didn't have much interest on the Aether Foundation assistants. But Burnet was an exception. In several episodes, when she wasn't present, at least Kukui was there to lighten the moods of the audience, also all of Ash's classmates made it even more fun.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Well, I like Kukui and Burnet too, they were like Alolan parents to Ash and when he returned, they called him a part of their family. I didn't have much interest on the Aether Foundation assistants. But Burnet was an exception. In several episodes, when she wasn't present, at least Kukui was there to lighten the moods of the audience, also all of Ash's classmates made it even more fun.
I liked Wicke & Faba due to their contrast but I can understand why people aren’t their biggest fans. There’s only like 2 characters in SM’s recurring cast that I don’t like and that dislike is very minimal. Just wish the assistants in JN got a little more so I could be more invested in them

BlueLight

I liked Wicke & Faba due to their contrast but I can understand why people aren’t their biggest fans. There’s only like 2 characters in SM’s recurring cast that I don’t like and that dislike is very minimal. Just wish the assistants in JN got a little more so I could be more invested in them
True. Hope in one episode, the two assistants would get together or at least have a major conversation or an episode majorly involving both of them together, along with a Ren episode, he hasn't got an episode to his name yet.

janejane6178

Kaleido Star FOREVER in my heart <3
So deep and the most interesting characters in this show.. not.

I wonder what is their point when there r so many great un used swsh characters..