• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is your Preferred League Layout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
We've had four leagues now, and Ash is currently in the early stages of preparing for his fifth- it also seems that this league won't be sharing its spotlight with something like a Grand Festival this time. What I want to know is, how would you like the league to be handled? Since Ash is going to have three starters this region, and I expect all of them to have a prominent appearance, I'm not sure if there's room for many of his old pokemon to come back and everyone to get a fair showing. After all, look at how the Sinnoh League turned out- the only ones who really looked respectable in their comebacks were Sceptile, Heracross and Noctowl, and a number of them didn't do anything. Would you rather have an Isshu-only league and a comeback-heavy filler saga like in AG, or a league which leads to disappointment for fans of the old school?

Trapman

Bazinga!!
I want them to show every battle in the league. That way they can showcase more of ashs pokemon. The ishuu league should also be bigger then the sinnoh league to give it a more epic feeling. Then after the the league they could do a filler/e4 saga.

In the league ash could mainly use his ishuu pokemon but also use a some reserves in need of redemption like totodile. Then he should release everything on the elite four using all his strongest pokemon and some wildcards like corphish.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
I want the league to be at least 10 episodes, and that Ash will win it. I'm not hoping for old pokemon, I think Sinnoh league was enough. In this league I think Ash should use only his 6 pokemon from Isshu. Using now reserves like Muk and Kingler after more than 500 episodes would be strange.

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
I want them to show every battle in the league. That way they can showcase more of ashs pokemon. The ishuu league should also be bigger then the sinnoh league to give it a more epic feeling. Then after the the league they could do a filler/e4 saga.

In the league ash could mainly use his ishuu pokemon but also use a some reserves in need of redemption like totodile. Then he should release everything on the elite four using all his strongest pokemon and some wildcards like corphish.

Wildcards like Corphish........ Am I missing something here???=/

Nightlingbolt

AKA Nightlingbolt
Well, if I understand the games correctly, you don't have your final showdown with Team Plasma until after the Elite Four (but before the credits roll), so I can see an Isshu-only League which Ash wins, with some old Pokemon for the Elite Four arc, the strongest of which will get to shine in the final battle against N, maybe Ash controlling Zekrom against N's Reshiram. That would be epic... too epic for the writers to consider, unfortunately. :(

Pepsi_Plunge

Dojyaaa~~aan
To me te Shinnoh league formula is the best one, only this time dont rush it take your time, give all the pokemons an opportunity if you are having the trouble of actually bringing them back.

This league will most likelly play out like Hoenn though same 6(more if Ash actually gets more then that) having some nice fights, ofc this makes it boring since we dont think about oh, is Ash using [Insert Pokemon] or its using [Insert Pokemon] for example, wich makes he league a little more boring but if the fights are good we will be entertained for sure.

Also I want Ash to get worthile rivals just like in Shinno, to me rivals need a build up not show up at the leauge out of nowhere.

Wildcards like Corphish........ Am I missing something here???=/

Wildcard means random/unexpected/out of the ordinary Corpish is unexpected in a Isshu league match just like any other of the old pokemons.

KibaLG8

Well-Known Member since the DP Series.
Wildcard means random/unexpected/out of the ordinary Corpish is unexpected in a Isshu league match just like any other of the old pokemons.

I see but I doubt we'd get reserves anyways this time. The Isshu Pokemon should shine, not the previous ones, the Isshu Pokemon should not suffer because previous Pokemon deserve it. Quilava, Totodile, Donphan, Torkoal and Torterra need redemption but the Isshu Pokemon should get their moments in the League..... dumb writers.

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
I think we should take it as a given that there will be some sort of filler saga this time, possibly even one of equal length to the Isshu saga, and I think the third version will give us a better idea of what to expect- it's bound to feature a Battle Frontier or something similar. So I do think that Ash should stick to his Isshu team and then call on his old pokemon in the filler saga. I doubt that it will be an Elite Four saga or anything like that- the writers are adament that Ash just isn't in their league, and that's fair enough.
One major inconsistency between leagues is exactly when the rounds become 6v6. With so few rounds in the smaller Sinnoh League, I think they should have made them ALL 6v6. That way there would have been room for all of Ash's pokemon to feature and Nando, Conway and Barry would have had more of a send-off. It just seems so odd for the writers to dangle all of Ash's pokemon in front of us and then let so few of them be of consequence.

Lorde

Let's go to the beach, each.
I don't think Ash is on his way to the Isshu League, exactly. Yeah he's obviously going to compete in the League, but his first and foremost priority should be attaining the 8 Isshu Gym badges, then he should worry about the League and which Pokemon he'll be competing with. All I want is a smooth League challenge where Ash makes it to the higher points in the competition, uses only his Isshu Pokemon, and loses to a great trainer. But most likely, none of this will happen. I'm not a fortune-teller, so I have no idea what will happen nor do I feel comfortable with making too many baseless assumptions, but one thing I do know is certain; the anime writers will troll us. They did it in Sinnoh, they'll do it in Isshu. I bet my left lung that we get a new character named Takuta who has a Cresselia and a Latias :/

Last edited:

Swine Trio

Bacon Lover
I would rather both.

I want a semi-mixed league. The Isshu team should have spotlight in the league, at least one full battle with just them, along with each one being in one-two other battles. Then various reserves thrown in to keep it interesting. And the league should be bigger, and no skipped rounds.

Then he does some filler-saga, where he keeps his Isshu team with him (No Torkoal/Glalie situation) while throwing in some of the reserves. Each of the main-quest battles should have at least one reserve with one Isshu.

Seiryu

Resident dragon
Heh. Here I was, expecting this to be about the actual format of the various leagues, how the tournament itself was set up. And here I was, ready to expound on how Sinnoh's league had about the least inspiring setup so far (the only thing setting it apart being the much smaller number of competitors).
On that note, though, I do think I like Johto's tournament layout best--while it undoubtedly had the biggest drop-off (hundreds down to forty-eight), at least it gave every applicant three chances to battle (as opposed to the at-most two chances a quarter of every other tourney's competitors get).
And further on that note--I actually was hoping Sinnoh's tourney would be set up this way--but I still have some hope for a tournament whose qualifying rounds are based on...well, chance. The field type, the match type (1-on-1 singles, 2-on-2 doubles, 3-on-3 singles, or 4-on-4 doubles), and perhaps to an extent the pokemon chosen for the battle--all chosen completely at random right before the match begins. You know, to give each person a chance to show how they cope with totally unexpected situations.

But that's apparently not what this thread is about.

Given the apparent faster pace it seems we'll be getting this time around, it only makes sense for there to be an interlude saga following the league; how quickly Ash completes his journey around Isshu doesn't affect how long it's going to take for the sixth generation games to come out, after all. As such, not only would a league dedicated pretty much solely to the Isshu captures be ideal, I think it's what we should expect. Let the old guys show up afterward, when they're not as likely to sap precious screentime away from the current generation.

Blazenuva

Its a little too idealistic, but I prefer it that leagues have at least 16 episodes dedicated to them. 1 episode for opening, 1 episode for closing. 14 episodes of battles is a must in my opinion.

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
As for the format, I liked Hoenn's setup. 1-on-1, then Double battles, then Full battles.

For the Pokemon used, Sinnoh got it right and wrong at the same time. There weren't enough battles, so the Pokemon didn't get enough show time. Also, Infernape took most of the spotlight. Taking out 3 of 6 is ridiculous and it left those needing a win left out in the dust. I also don't like how they let one battle dictate the League. it was clear that the writers wanted the Ash vs Paul match to be the center of attention, and that the rest of the battles didn't matter.

Hoeen was a good example. Spread the wins out and not let a single Pokemon run the table.

So I would like to see more battles, and less domination by a single Pokemon.

Last edited:

TsukiMirage

Rikudou Master
Yeah, Hoenn did it pretty well. Hopefully now that they have more episodes to play with, The animators will be able to show off all of Ash's team equally.

RickHoenn

Banned
I think all leagues were excellent but If I had to choose, Hoenn League, I think it was the best developed, Sinnoh should have showed all the battles! :( only 5 seconds the 2nd round >_<

I hope Isshu League is 9 episodes at least. can't believe the max have been only 8. >_<

Last edited:

BlueDragonfangirl

Well since there isn't the Grand Festival to deal with this year, I'm thinking will get few more episodes to focouse on the league and to introduce more rivals for Ash to face. Now, my favorite so far has been D/ P but things could change.

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
Sinnoh's League was average at best. It had the great opportunity to showcase Ash's Pokemon's new found talents, but it fell short. There weren't many battles and the League was just pretty much about Infernape running the table against Paul and nothing else.

And because of that, a lot of his Pokemon were either terribly robbed of a single win or others got wins that they really didn't need.

When an entire League focuses on one Pokemon and nothing else, its gets boring to watch. You know who is going to be the last one standing, you know who is going to win, and you feel cheated out of any excitement because it is all predetermined.

Not a League I would enjoy watching.

Cazak

When Wings Fly High
I am glad that the league doesn't have to share its spotlight with the GF, and with the fast pace, I hope that the league is longer with more of Ash's old poke'mon being shown. This time, I frankly want a change in the battle grounds as well. So far we had rock, ice, water, grass and the normal plain field. Something like an electric or lava pool field would be interesting to watch(I know the dangers of such a field, but what i am trying to say is that I want to watch a new field).
that being said, back to Ash's poke'mon, I wanna see his reserves again too, particularly redeem those he didn't use much such as Muj, Kingler etc. and then a filler saga won't hurt either.

thunderblade12

A mix.

1 preliminary match (1 on 1)(Episode 1)
1 Double/Triple battle (Episode 2)
1 3 on 3 battle (Episode 3)
And 4 full battles (Episodes 4-10)

ChaosMage

Izit cuz I is black?
I've only just noticed that the only double battles Ash has ever had on the show have been with pokemon from the same era of the show. First Pikachu/Charizard back in the Orange Islands, then he had several during Hoenn obviously all with his Hoenn team, then he used Swellow/Corphish (both from Hoenn) at the Battle Dome, and I don't think he's had many double battles since.

I would love to see some double or even triple/rotation battles in the league where he uses pokemon we've never even seen together. I've always felt that there's nowhere near enough interraction between his old and new pokemon. In fact, I'd like to see more reserves in the league ONLY if it's so they can be in cross-generational double/triple battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.