• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is your "special gen"?

OceanicLanturn

Non non non!
As the Pokemon franchise grows, veteran players stops following the franchise, while the newer players come and take over their places. As older players clear the field, more younger players come in the fill in their places. This is a never-ending cycle...

Whether you are a 20-year-old Pokemon player, or maybe you had just recently started, or maybe you have been a cross between those two, what is your special generation?

It can be a variety of factors that leads to your special generation. It could be the generation that you started, or the one where you started playing more seriously, maybe the gen where you started competitively... etc. Either way, this is the gen which will hold its place in your heart, despite newer and newer generations of pokemon game surge forward, shadowing the older ones.

My special Generation is Generation 4. This one the gen where I started playing properly and considered stuff like a balanced team, actually using my TMs, using potions (young me was muchas hardcore, I could go through the E4 without potion) and explored more features of the game. It was also the time when I started to catch up with the anime. DP was my favourite anime season ever. HGSS was also one of my favourite games... Anyways, Gen 4 is my special generation, and it provided the thrill that other generations didn't provide as much.

So what is your "special generation"?

REMEMBER: THIS IS NOT A GEN 1 > ALL OR GEN *INSERT NUMBER* > ALL OR A GEN BASHING THREAD. K THANKS.

/caps.

Ditto B1tch

Despite I was introduced to Pokemon right in Gen I on anime, my special gen is II, the one I started playing the rpg games, which are my real addiction to Pokemon so far.

auteur

Fossil freak
Despite I was introduced to Pokemon right in Gen I on anime, my special gen is II, the one I started playing the rpg games, which are my real addiction to Pokemon so far.
This is exactly my case. I liked Gen I (fully played it a little after Gen II), and Kanto, and all its Pokémon (the only ones that existed when I got into this with the anime and playing a little of the RBY games with my friends), but it was probably with Gen II games when my passion for Pokémon reached its peak. I've enjoyed all the other generations a lot, but Gen II will always be special to me.

carboncopy

(-) (-) (-) (-)
Woah, people do like gen 2 ( including me ). I started with gen 3, so that will always be special.
But, recently I was going through a hard time in school and stuff, and I used to play HGSS, PLatinum and GSC to get my mind off of it. So, I always remember the music from these games fondly, coz they helped me from being depressed. Actually, I'm planning to playthrough crystal again once my Exams are over, sorta like a victory thing :). So, you can imagine how special they are to me.
Gen 5 is also special to me coz I really got back into pokemon in this gen. Not to mention the thrill of a new discovery was really nice.
Also, like Auteur and Mystical Jackal, I like gen 1 for the anime.

Last edited:

Raiin

Johto Boy
Started with Gen I as well but there was something magical about Gen II. It may have been the extra pokemon that seemed to blend perfectly with the original 151 and the fact that you got to go through 16 gyms and battle Red...idk. Something about the second generation of pokemon just seemed like it was a straight continuation on RBY and I like that a lot.

Unoin

Gen II as it was the first new gen I experienced. Gen 1 was the introductory and basic gen, so it was cool to get something different and more advanced. I also knew all the original Pokemon inside out, so it was nice to discover some other Pokemon, who didn't all get as much attention as the ones before them

Masterofknees

Started with Generation 1, got a lot more serious in Generation 3 though. Still have to go with Generation 1, all the memories, it's the only generation where I can remember pretty much EVERYTHING from top to toe. Yes, it's imbalanced as hell, psychic Pokémon are broken beyond belief, Slash Charizard = GG. While I'm not happy to admit it it's all about the nostalgia for me, it had my absolute favorite Pokémon designs because they were the ones I collected as a little kid, the super wierd sprites even invoke good memories for me.

Generation 3 is where I think the franchise went from great to amazing, but Generation 1 still holds a magical place in my heart, because it's simply the most nostalgic, and it's by far the game I have played the most out of all the games.

Mind you that I've never been very much into the anime, it has always been about the games for me, so it doesn't really affect my opinion.

adamfitz

poké-lover
Mine is gen2.
My by far favorite and I did start with silver when it came out, i remember i played yellow before that tho, but can't remember much, then onto crystal after silver and I was in love with soul silver! Love gen2.
Love all gens!

Playing since 1999

Last edited:

John Wallrein

I am the walrein
Mine is gen2.
My by far favorite and I did start with silver when it came out, and then went back and played yellow, then onto crystal after that again, and I was in love with soul silver! Love gen2.
Love all gens!

I agree with you, Gen 2 was the stuff. Crystal was my first game and I played it over through many runthroughs. When HG/SS came out Iwas soo pumped.

Liz Azzimagica

Angelic Trainer
Gen 2...silver was my first genune version that I owned and played...strangly...I remember that my full name (Elizabeth) couldn't fit in the naming...so...I went with a nickname that I kept ever sence: Liz...and I had a perfect (250 pokemon) pokedex before the game erased...also Gen 5 is special because of N...N is probally the greatest pokemon character in Pokemon history

Shyy_Guii

Absol Fanatic
Gen 3 ... the Generation I started with, and because I owned all of the Gen 3 games, Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, LeafGreen AND FireRed. Don't ask why I had all 5 ....

In my opinion, while all of the Gens are great the way they are, my order from best to worse are;

1. Generation 1
2. Generation 3
3. Generation 4
4. Generation 5
5. Generation 2

Generation 2 pokemon are arguably the most forgettable, save for a couple good ones (Suicune!!!!)

firerank9

Aura All-Star
@Shyy_Guii: I though we where not bashing other Gens :mad:

But anyway...My would have to be Gen 3 simply because it got me energized and psych to play a new battle mechanic, DOUBLE BATTLES!!! Untill this feature was introduce, I was but a casual player of Pokemon. And that is why I actually like Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness. :cool:

Archangel Azazel

Fallen Angel
Gen 3 <.> I started with Firered officially since Stadium did not really have a region and I couldn't play with my own unique team since I did not have the Cartridge games >.>

Both Firered and Sapphire are my special gen 3 :3 I could experience being a Pokemon Trainer and get to choose favorite Pokemon for my team. So many memories too..

Feline

Why?
My special generation was the first one. Back in 1998 or 1999, all the kids loved them...except I was in middle school at the time and was the only person who loved it in my school. Played the games, watched the anime, collected a few cards....had a rattata card shoved in my pocket throughout 7th grade. Yeah I never took Pokemon seriously through out the the other gens, you know natures, stats, EV and IV training, breeding. I played for FUN! YAY FUN! Remember to have FUN everyone. I sound so much like a dork right now.

Rational Rayquaza

Generation III will always be my favorite because it was my first and it has my favorite Pokemon. (Rayquaza.) I remember back then when I played for fun not competitive battling. (Smogon, what have you done to me?)
I wish I could go back to those times.

ECM

Generation I is mine. Red, Blue and Yellow were a huge part of my childhood. No matter what improvements they continue to make in the series, Gen I will always hold a special place in my heart.

Ultimate Champion

The Great Pokémon Master
Although I started with Generation I, Generation II is my "special generation" as it's the generation whose games I spent the most amount of time playing, and also the generation in which I first got into competitive battling (at least on online simulators).

Well, I started from the beginning with Gen 1, but I was only 6 and didn't know what I was doing most of the time. I started getting serious about Pokémon in Gen III, so that one is my special generation.