• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What is your style of playing?

Hunter Zolomon

Into the Shadows
Staff member
I train all my Pokemon equally. I never rush though the game, when I was a kid though I kind of did. :p But nowadays, I level up all my Pokemon equally. I never like to have one party member many levels ahead of the other party members. I train all types, and have a party of different types. I'm not a water only trainer, or a fire only trainer ect. I put a lot of hours into training for example, I am currently training for my 4th Gym badge. Your going down Elesa! :D

Last edited:

Dew Watatsumi

Water Type E-3
I used to overtrain my starter when I was younger, but I've started training my pokemon equally when I first bought platinum

!jirachi!

3/4 dead...
step 1 get a better pokemon than my weak starter (1 that covers your starters weaknesses)
step 2 overtrain it
step 3 overtrain your starter
step 4 beat your game.

DarkSword39

Heehouhouhouhou!
I used to over train my starter but changed over sometime, (I think it was Diamond). I always try to keep them equal. 2 over or 2 under of the average level is where my Pokemon are usual at.

Bramble

I've always trained my teams evenly, even when I was younger. Pokémon has just always seemed to make sense to me since I played through one of the games for the first times, back in 2006.

bro

Cool story bro
I also used to over train my starter and then rest of my team pretty much sucked. Now I try my best to train them evenly and I don't even need to have HM slave in my team in BW/2. ;080;

Zcrux

I used to train only my starter when I was younger and I used to love cheats. Now I swore to get shinies and the best pokemon possible through completely legitimate means and train a rounded team.

Currently I'm building a team with all my favorite pokemon by first IV breeding them for at least 4 Perfect IVs and then EV training them to enter the PWT and Black Tower and Wi-Fi events and such :p I'm new to all this serious pokemon stuff and it's so much fun.

AuroriumX

The Interceptor
I usully try to plan my team beforehand and then start building it around my starter. I try to level up my team equally and keep them round them the same level.

SzubaSon

My style is attack attack attack attack with a little bit of attack i dont do status like sleep etc. my dragons smash people to pieces lol

Megaton666

Swampert Trainer
In my main game of a generation I usually train a whole team, in the "mule" games I just train my starter.
My playstyle is very offensive and fast. I don't usually bother with stat changing moves or status ailments, unless it's the side effect of an offensive move.

voninator

VONINATOR
I usually plan team around my starter before hand and train those guys only. The only way for a pokemon to make it into my team after I decide it would be if I find a shiny. other than that it is attack attack attack.

I always plan my team ahead of time. I make sure I know what routes I can get the Pokemon I want on and then I train them all equally so that they're always all at the same level as a team. I hate not having a team with balanced levels.

Inferno Vulpix

Despicably Average
I train my Pokemon equally to the point of obsession. Unless I'm facing a gym leader in which I only have one Pokemon good against it, I will always put the lowest level Pokemon up front, and levels rarely deviate by more than 1.

As I go through the region, I'll usually just look up the Pokemon on that route, and decide if I want anything from there. It just feels too boring to plan my team out in advance, as if it ruins the mystery of the game. I still can't get over the possibility that I might miss one of my favorite Pokemon or something, so I use this as a compromise.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
I almost always have equal level teams that are balanced, Except in gold when I had a super over powered sandslash.

The Master Chief

umm well i tend to rush through the game (when i got black 2 it only took 2.8 hours worth of playing to beat) but starting on X and Y im just going to take it slow and just catch a team of ma favorite pokes and just enjoy it =P

Kalosian

So long
I train a whole team of Pokemon instead of just one (which would probably be a starter). I used to do it the other way, but changed my style of playing sometime in third generation. I prefer having a whole team at even levels as it gives better diversity in battles. It also allows the members of the team to cover each others weaknesses, as opposed to only training one Pokemon which might have trouble dealing with types it is weak against.

yuoke

Treasure huntin'
umm well i tend to rush through the game (when i got black 2 it only took 2.8 hours worth of playing to beat) but starting on X and Y im just going to take it slow and just catch a team of ma favorite pokes and just enjoy it =P

2.8 hours? Did you have all like level 50 pokemon to start with?

Avenger Angel

Warrior of Heaven
I like the Nuzlocke approach and I don't bother with the competitive battling scene.

As far as training goes, I generally try to keep the levels of my Pokemon slightly above what I'm up against and I generally try to make sure the team is about the same level, save for the HM slaves.

Skytorn

Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ вuttєrflч!
When I was younger I just completely forgot about the rest of my team and only used them as a backup when my starter, whcih was the only one I used, fainted and had to be revived. Now I usually have a target for my Pokemon to reach, like when one gets to level 30, for example, I train another, and then another, and another until all are level 30 and then I re-use the one I started with and give a new target.

I'm weird :p