1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

What is your tolerance for character incompetence trainer wise?

Discussion in 'Animé Polls' started by paulcreated, Nov 8, 2019.

1. paulcreated

paulcreated New Member

After so many years we’ve seen a lot of beginning trainers in the anime, some start off a lot more competent than others. What is your tolerance for character incompetence as a trainer?

Ash started off as an idiot in Kanto. May didn’t know anything about Pokémon. Dawn started off with knowledge but got too overconfident and it led to her depression streak. Serena took a long time to even get into battling or be a trainer. Lillie didn’t know how to battle or throw a pokeball.

What’s your tolerance for these rookie/beginning trainer phases?

2. TheWanderingMist

TheWanderingMist Kanae, Keeper of the Gates Emblazoned

High. No one starts out competent.

3. TheWanderingMist

She didn't know Charizard wasn't a dragon, her Excadrill didn't listen to her, she had plenty of problems before starting her journey.

4. TheWanderingMist

Misty didn't.
    May had basically never seen Pokemon, somehow.
    Dawn didn't know anything either.
    Iris essentially "started" before meeting Ash, back when she was a little kid and met Drayden.

5. keepitsimple

keepitsimple scorbunny

more of them should start off like iris. it was clear she was a rookie who wasn't very knowledgeable but she still wasn't pathetic and helpless. not knowing how to throw a ball is ridiculous and ~being a rookie~ doesn't justify that

Xuxuba and Moonlight Starlight like this.
  6. Sham

Sham show the unknown

Well Charizard is a Kanto starter and not native to Unova. Pokémon from other regions only appear in Eastern Unova and it was select few. Her not knowing Charizard was a honest mistake and not the weirdest thing.

PorcelainVulpix likes this.
  7. TheWanderingMist

Girl lived in village of dragon masters. Drayden was her mentor. Really it's something she should have known.

8. Sham

Sham show the unknown

But it’s not like she thought something like Mewoth was a Dragon, Charizard appears to be a Dragon (and even a generation later was able to become one) it wasn’t out of the realm of possibilities. Unova is far away from Kanto so I doubt they’d be educating children about far away places and their customs/Pokémon daily. I really don’t know why people expected her to know that like numerous of characters haven’t mistyped Pokémon way worse. It’s like asking your everyday American to know a bunch of Japanese knowledge; they’re bound to get something wrong.

9. TheWanderingMist

Actually, given the average American, I'd expect a rather high amount of random Japanese knowledge due to both the anime and historical factors.

10. Sham

Sham show the unknown

I don’t. No everyone is into anime nor is Japanese history that well documented outside of WW2 in schools

11. Pokegirl Fan~

Pokegirl Fan~ Rei Claus

No

12. TheWanderingMist

The girl was too terrified of Pokemon to touch them. Why would she magically know how to throw a Poke Ball?

13. Sham

Sham show the unknown

Lillie was by no means girly. She was feminine yes but not girly. She was terrified of Pokémon and sheltered in a mansion for most of her life. She joined the Pokémon School to learn the stuff she SHOULD of known.

14. Satoshi & Touko

Satoshi & Touko Glimwood Tangle is Literal Dreamland

To answer the thread's actual question, my tolerance is about as high as possible, seeing as I never have any investment in any characters or their goals. Personality and traits is what I'm more into.

SerenaRulez likes this.
  15. Leonhart

Leonhart Well-Known Member

I can usually tolerate trainers who aren't very strong or skilled if they're newbies, but when it's an established character like Satoshi during Best Wishes who made mistake after mistake in many battles, that's when I get irked.

SerGoldenhandtheJust likes this.
  16. keepitsimple

keepitsimple scorbunny

it's literally just throwing an object at another object. you don't need experience with pokemon to be able to do that lmfao

17. SerGoldenhandtheJust

SerGoldenhandtheJust Well-Known Member

Exactly

18. AznKei

AznKei Badass girls saving their boyfriends. XD

I mostly blame the writers to make a joke on them when it's obvious the characters could have done things better than what they're depicted.

19. TwilightBlade

TwilightBlade Well-Known Member

Whatever was wrong with Cameron from the Unova region is my limit for how incompetent a seasoned trainer can be because forgetting to bring a Pokemon to a full battle is where I draw the line.

As for new trainers, they should have common sense and should know the basics of throwing a Pokeball.

20. Thumbs2

Thumbs2 Well-Known Member

It's all about consistency. If a character has a flaw and that leads them to mess up, that's fine. If they mess up because the plot needs them to mess up, that's lame.