• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What kind of dog Pokemon you want in Gen 8?

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
So I've noticed a very consistent trend is that there is always a canine friend to meet in every single generation. Sometimes there based on mythology or sometimes there based on different types of dogs, like a Bulldog, Yorkie, or a Poodle. So what kind of dog Pokemon do you want to see in Gen 8? Do you want it to be based on an actual dog, something from mythology, or maybe something entirely unique like Lucario.

Here all the canine evolution lines so far.
Gen 1 -
  • Arcanine, Growlithe
Gen 2
  • Granbull, Snubull,
  • Houndoom, Houndour
  • Suicune
  • Entei
  • Raikou
Gen 3
  • Mightyena, Poochyena
  • Manectric, Electrike
Gen 4
  • Lucario, Riolu
Gen 5
  • Stoutland, Herdier, Lillipup
Gen 6
  • Furfrou
Gen 7
  • Lycanroc, Rockruff

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I feel like we are going to at least see a Pokemon based on the Shiba Inu, arguably the most famous Japanese dog out there, soon in one of the future generations. To be honest, it's kind of surprising GameFreak hasn't done this already.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
Id like to see more types used. Going off that list we have;

X3 Fire dogs
X2 Electric
X2 Normal
X2 Dark
X1 Fairy
X1 Rock
X1 Steel
X1 Fighting
X1 Water

So how about a Ice or Ice/Steel type Husky.
A Ground or Ground/Ghost type dog make sense to, considering how much they like to dig and bury bones.

Sαpphire

Johto Champion
I totally want a lil' ghost pupper to have follow me around. Make it cute as heck like an Eevee or a Vulpix, but give it mind-twisting horrific lore. Like an adorable furry child of Cthulhu.

That's the only dog Pokémon I want, and he will be such a good boy

Satoshi & Touko

Peanuts aren't just a nut.
I like the hot dog and Husky ideas that people had already come up with.

Naturally, as someone who wants a cold, northern region, it would likely have an Arctic Wolf. But I would also love a Golden Retriever.

UD1

Puppies are always good! You can never have enough. Let's invent some more...

A Ground-type coyote. I shall call it Coycoy and its high special stats betray its wiliness.
A Fire/Fairy-type dachshund. They're name is Brawtbark and they're a real hot dog.
A Water-type dalmation. Dalmoysen, for when your hot dogs get too hot.
A Grass-type wolf. How many wolfsbane puns can you think of? Acanite...Monkhound...Wufbane.
A Dark/Ghost-type jackal. Call them Arbhit because they're arbiters and they want to bite you.
An Ice-type Malamute. Mush, Malamush! Mush!

Ah.

World Turtle

Puppies are always good! You can never have enough. Let's invent some more...

A Ground-type coyote. I shall call it Coycoy and its high special stats betray its wiliness.

While not ground I recall seeing a cactus coyote fakemon. I think it was a Grass Starter.

A Grass-type wolf. How many wolfsbane puns can you think of? Acanite...Monkhound...Wufbane.

Timberwolf or Timberwulf.

I wonder if Lycanroc could get a Grass Type regional variant? I could at least see an Ice Type.

Kage-Pikachu

I totally want a lil' ghost pupper to have follow me around. Make it cute as heck like an Eevee or a Vulpix, but give it mind-twisting horrific lore. Like an adorable furry child of Cthulhu.

That's the only dog Pokémon I want, and he will be such a good boy
Reminds me of Danny Phantom! That'd be pretty cool!

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
I suspect a Specially oriented Psychic canid, similar to Meowstic.

Aetius

I'd like to see the Black Dog from the Irish folklore be turned into a Pokèmon.
It would be Normal/Ghost and it might have the abilities: Anticipation, Strong Jaw and Illusion (HA).
They're all Abilities that would make sense considering the creature it is based on.
I know that Illusion is Zorua's line's signature ability, but since also the Black Dog is a shapeshifter, I told myself "Why not?".
As for its name, I' d say that Barghost (Barghest+ghost) would be a fitting name.

Manchee

extra toasty
I would love it if they did not include a new dog Pokémon. I find them boring, not usually worth catching, and not interesting with their type combinations.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I would love it if they did not include a new dog Pokémon. I find them boring, not usually worth catching, and not interesting with their type combinations.

Part of that might be cause most aren't combinations... Usually mono type.

Manchee

extra toasty
Part of that might be cause most aren't combinations... Usually mono type.

I meant more along the lines of what they are based on combined with their type, i.e. a Fire-type devil-hound or a Rock-type wolf. It doesn't get me as interested as some other Pokémon combinations (like a Bug/Poison centipede or a Ground/Dark crocodile). Something about the dog Pokémon always seem basic and gimmicky, which is probably because they are mostly companions rather than fighters. I'd prefer ones with more use, but that's just me :p

Orphalesion

(Obligatory Mightyena is based on a very wolf-like type of hyena, and hyenas are closer related to cats than dog post)

I agree on the basis that we already have a truckload of dog-based Pokemon and am not sure that we need another one each and every generation. I do like some of them like Houndoom and Lycanroc, but I can definitely do without stuff like Stoutland or Furfrou.
It's the same with Butterfly and Cat pokemon. We already have a ton of those. Let's use some animal species/groups that don't have their own Pokemon yet, or only have a single very forgettable mon to represent them before getting the 2oth dog/cat/butterfly.
That being said if we have to have *yet another* dog/wolf. I'd prefer it to have a type or type combination that wasn't used for a dog yet. Ice/Dark Direwolf, Grass typed literal Timberwolf, Psychic typed, comet-like "celestial dog". Something like that.