• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What kind of Early-Obtained Bird Pokemon do you want?

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
A bird of paradise would be interesting to see. Typing is a bit hard to come up with though.

Considering when I looked up "bird of paradise" it gave me both birds, and plants. I vote Flying/Grass.

Bus

I think maybe a special-focused Cardinal or Blue Jay would be nice. They're both highly recognizable birds with easy elemental association: Fire/Flying for Cardinal, Ice/Flying for Blue Jay.

They're starting to branch out and get more creative with different typings even for early game stuff, so maybe we'll get a Fairy/Flying bird. What would that be, though...

A Peacock? Normal ones are very green in color, but with a Pokemon, I could easily see it being a multi-colored sight to behold. Plus, Peacocks are pretty universally recognized which helps its chances. I don't think they're going to go with a Bird species that you need to be an Ornithologist to identify.

Oh..Flamingos haven't been done either and they could easily be Fairy/Flying. I know color doesn't necessarily depict type, but its pretty common theming for the last 7 generations, so its something to be considered at least.

So, my hope would be for a Peacock or Flamingo. Both would make some interesting Birds. Though I guess only the Cardinal or Blue jay would really be 'early game' bird types; the others feel more like mid-late game finds.

Pikachu111213

Traveler
I think maybe a special-focused Cardinal or Blue Jay would be nice. They're both highly recognizable birds with easy elemental association: Fire/Flying for Cardinal, Ice/Flying for Blue Jay.

I had never thought of a blue jay or cardinal as a Pokémon but I LOVE the idea! I’d love to see Snow Warning as at least a hidden ability on an Ice/Flying blue jay. They’d have to be careful with the design though, so it isn’t just a non-legendary Articuno

DSDark

Breeder
A bird of paradise would be interesting to see. Typing is a bit hard to come up with though.

You can make any animal any typing. It just depends on what they want it to be. Again I just don't want a Normal/Flying final form

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
or a durpy looking pokemon like a dodo.
a pure flying type.

Reminds me of how much I want a Rock/Psychic type Dodo bird fossil (Beak Fossil). The idea I had is it so smart it spent more time contemplating knowledge/reality/it's excistance, than it did taking care of itself/feeding itself that they eventually went extinct.

Creyk

You can make any animal any typing. It just depends on what they want it to be. Again I just don't want a Normal/Flying final form
I think they learned from their mistake with gen 7 and will mix it up with typings again in gen 8. . . a grass/flying early bird could be something since AFAIK only Tropius has that typing at the moment? While from water and fire there are way more with that combination...and they obviously won't give a more special type to the early bird like ice or rock or steel

Mr.Fiend

Everything stinks
I think they learned from their mistake with gen 7 and will mix it up with typings again in gen 8. . . a grass/flying early bird could be something since AFAIK only Tropius has that typing at the moment? While from water and fire there are way more with that combination...and they obviously won't give a more special type to the early bird like ice or rock or steel
hoppip, skiploom, jumpluff, shaymin sky form, rowlet and dartrix all have grass flying as well. It's for the best if the early bird isn't ice/flying, cause we all know how good that typing isn't.

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I think they learned from their mistake with gen 7 and will mix it up with typings again in gen 8. . . a grass/flying early bird could be something since AFAIK only Tropius has that typing at the moment?
The Hoppip line is also Grass/Flying

DSDark

Breeder

Rowlet and Dartrix

Bus

I had never thought of a blue jay or cardinal as a Pokémon but I LOVE the idea! I’d love to see Snow Warning as at least a hidden ability on an Ice/Flying blue jay. They’d have to be careful with the design though, so it isn’t just a non-legendary Articuno
Yeah, but since Articuno is the only Ice/Flying (as far as I can remember), I don't think they'd shy away from the idea. They did wonders with Talonflame (aside from the basic name) despite it sharing a type with the other Fire/Flying Legend, Moltres, so I think they can do it. I know they have Ori..colo? Ori..something; the dancing bird that could switch between 4 different types, but...meh.

A nice, small, almost normal-looking start for a blue Jay, then a large, pompadour mohawk for the final form of the Ice/flying Blue Jay! We haven't had a 2 form early route bird since Tailow.

EDIT: I know that just about anything paired with Ice spells disaster, but they're getting more creative with abilities. We have abilities that grant elemental immunities (Levitate) and abilities that essentially give a pokemon a 3rd STAB (Steelworker), so if you give an ice/flying some kind of immunity that handles its greatest weakness to give it more of a chance, then it could be usable.

Something that gives it a Rock Immunity (reducing its weaknesses down to Electric, Steel, and Fire). Come up with a new ability that grants that, like 'Mountain Dwelling'. I'm rationalizing this by imagining goats that live on mountains that have adapted to jump up rocky ledges without a problem and just using that to say that this Pokemon, living in Mountain regions often, is adept at avoiding falling rocks to the point that anything Rock element just has no effect (like how 'Flying' is immune to ground since it can avoid it all by simply flying over it).

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
Delibird is also Ice/Flying but I can see how easy it is to forget its typing considering how rarely you see it being used. What I find odd is how in Alola you find it far from the colder areas of the region.

I think a Poison/Flying bird based on the pitohui would be interesting. Maybe give it Poison Touch or Poison Point as a reference to the poisonous feathers tthe bird has.

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
I love the idea of an Ice/Flying Blue Jay. I’d love for it to have a Rock immunity ability as well. Maybe have Ice Shard, Wing Attack, Icicle Crash, Aurora Veil, Pluck and Quick Attack in its moveset.
A Pitohui is also a good idea. Let it have a move set that has Toxic early on and Poison Touch for the ability.
A peacock is what they may go for. I imagine it like this
Basic form is a peachick, Normal/Flying.
Second form is one of 2 different Pokémon depending on if it’s a male or female. Normal/Flying again.
The final evolution is a beautiful peacock for the male and a peahen for the female. Both would have maybe a tiny parasol above their head and the male would be Steel/Flying and female would be Psychic/Flying. Male would be more Physical based, Female would be Special based for 2nd and final evolution.
For a Water/Flying.
A flamingo.
2 stage Pokémon.
First would be a flamingo chick with grayish pink feathers.
The final stage would be a graceful flamingo which could learn High Jump Kick and some other kick based moves, including Trop Kick (because it would be a tropical flamingo).
Might even have Volt Absorb as an ability, which would be great for a Water/Flying type. Maybe they could base it partially off of plastic lawn flamingos.
And a cassowary would be good too. Fighting/Flying with a kick boosting ability.

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
I was looking at type combos.... And wow does /Flying barely get used. Mostly on 1 or 2 stage lines too. Several of the 3 stage lines it gets added in the second stage, but usually the third.

deoxysdude94

Meme Historian
What about a parrot? One that can understand human speech, similar to chatot, but stronger.

Pikachu111213

Traveler
What about a parrot? One that can understand human speech, similar to chatot, but stronger.

Yes!!! I love Chatot’s design. But goodness was it underwhelming. It’d be cool to see a more maccaw look on a Pokémon.

With all this talk of a UK region, I wouldn’t mind seeing an osprey pokemon. Figured it’d stay Normal/Flying. But if it went Ground/Flying that’d be pretty cool

ReneEnjolras

Explorer of Ruins
I'll take any bird as long as it's not Normal/Flying! Can we get a pure Flying? If not then any other type combo would be good.

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I don't care on what the bird looks like.
But I do hope they do an XY and make it something apart from Normal/Flying, I give Toucannon a pass as it's the first regional bird since Staraptor I actually like, but it's a tired old tradition that just seems so strange going from Fire/Flying to Normal/Flying again instead of Water/Flying or something else....

paipr_christian

grass type fan.
The more I think about the more I want to see, no need to see a regional bird end up Flying/Electric or Flying/Ice.

Fun fact, there are actually 5 different Electric/Flying type Pokemon lines. That said all are single stage. 2 are legendary Pokemon (one has a form change of the same type). 3 are regular Pokemon, but of those 3 only one acheives that type without being able to change to that type combo.

Now all that being said, I'd be very curious to see GF pull off a Poison/Flying regional bird line.