• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What kind of rice do you eat and what do you like to eat with that rice?

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
It may surprise some of you but there was once a time where you couldn't always pick up white rice at your local grocery time. In some parts of East Asia, white rice was actually a prized luxury that only the rich could afford. Nowadays, what was once the food of the wealthy is now available for everyone and is eaten with all kinds of things. Eggs, meat, vegetables, soup or just some seasoning thrown in there. However there's actually more than one type of rice. For example, a fairly popular type of rice in East Asia is Purple Rice or Multigrain Rice which has a lot of grains and beans mixed into it that gives the rice a purplish tint to it and it can be eaten with just about anything you could with regular white rice. If we really wanted to get into greater detail, there's even different forms of white rice.

So. What kind of rice do you eat and what do you like to eat with that rice?

SapphireRose

Morning☼Sun
Kind of a random question, but I like it. ^^

My Chinese mother really likes to mix white sticky rice with black rice (making that purple color) and brown jasmine rice. I think this most recent time she made her rice mixture she didn't use brown jasmine cuz they didn't have any in the store. It made the rice mixture softer, which I really like.

Akkipeddi

All set to be a nice guy
My favorite is still classic basmati white rice with various side dishes, such as chicken curry, or a vegetable dish such as potatoes or brinjal.

Platina2000

I like white rice with Wolf Brand Chili and cheese. Sometimes, I'll have rice with salmon (blackened salmon being the best), and chicken breast. I also use to have chicken and rice with cheese sauce; that was a family favorite back in the day. Not so much anymore since everyone works, and I live alone now. I also like to make rice balls (Onigiri) with sticky rice.

I eat a LOT of rice because it's easy to cook in a rice cooker, and I stink at coming up with more complex recipe ideas. It's any wonder how I'm not sick of the stuff yet. lol!

GrizzlyB

Confused and Dazed
I usually keep a big ol' bag of white rice at home, and have a rice cooker, because I'm terrible about grocery shopping and this way I at least have something to make if I run out of other stuff (plus my local grocery stores stopped being open 24 hours so I can't even run out at 2 AM, wtf is up with that?). I'm a lousy cook, so the fanciest thing I've done is make fried rice, which is actually pretty good even though I'm sure I do it wrong. But usually I just mix in some soy sauce and **** and have it with some frozen chicken and/or vegetables. I'm sure there are other things you can do with it that are also easy but not so lacking, but hell if I know any.

Creyk

Truth be told I don't know what is the significant difference between different rice types so I just buy a random packet each time I run out

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Sometimes I cook white rice and pour tomato sauce on top. It is pretty good and it is almost like Spanish rice.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
I like rice with lemon juice and rice with lemon juice and mixed vegetables.

Xuxuba

Here in Brazil we mainly eat arroz agulhinha, which i guess it would translate to something like needle rice.

It is a white long grain rice.
We eat it pretty much everyday with black beans, although i don't like beans as much as most brazilians do.

I like to put a lot of sauce on my rice cuz i don't like dry rice and i usually eat it with chicken pea, lentils, soy meat, spinach, broccoli and cabbage.

I also like short and medium grain rice tho and bought some just to use on my asian recipes, such as sushi.

shoz999

Has anyone here ever ate rice with Military Stew? It's a fusion of American and Korean food created during the Korean War when soldiers just randomly put whatever food they could find in Korea and throw it in a stew. What's funny about this is that it's now a popular dish served in some Korean restaurants.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
Has anyone here ever ate rice with Military Stew? It's a fusion of American and Korean food created during the Korean War when soldiers just randomly put whatever food they could find in Korea and throw it in a stew. What's funny about this is that it's now a popular dish served in some Korean restaurants.
Not that surprising. Many dishes based on a country’s traditional dish popularized in another gets served in the inspiration. California rolls are served in Japan along with sushi using salmon which wasn’t originally used. And Chinese immigrants are extremely fond of the General Tso Chicken served in American Chinese restaurants and prefer that version over the original.

shoz999

Not that surprising. Many dishes based on a country’s traditional dish popularized in another gets served in the inspiration. California rolls are served in Japan along with sushi using salmon which wasn’t originally used. And Chinese immigrants are extremely fond of the General Tso Chicken served in American Chinese restaurants and prefer that version over the original.
I mean it's funny that a food that was essentially a product of scraping by whatever random food you had left is now a popular dish. It's like lobsters. Today, we know it as the food of rich people right? However that wasn't always the case, that actually used to be labeled as poor people's food. In fact the lobster was named by nobles and royalty as "pigeons of the seas".