• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What kinds of attacks do your pokemon know?

ShimmerInTheDark

Ace Trainer
Do you prefer your pokemon to have all offensive moves? Or maybe you like them to have defensive or status-inducing moves? Do you favor them to have physical attacks over special attacks? How do you determine this and why?

Personally, I like mine to have at least one defensive move, and 3 physical moves. I like to utilize all my pokemon's stats, so mine have 2 moves of their strongest attack stat, and one of their weakest.

For example, my Liepard has:
hone claws
night slash
sucker punch
hyper beam

What about you?

Majexs137

TYPHLOSION RULZ!!!!
I was first confused by your topic, then reading it made sense.

For me, when it comes to just getting through the game, I tend to normally use all offensive moves and interchange them for example, my Chandelure has Shadow Ball, Energy Ball, Fire Blast and Psychic.

But for Competition battling, I tend to change the moveset based on the needs of the team and usually always use at least one offensive move.

I really like being Offensive when it comes to battling overall though...

Majexs137

TYPHLOSION RULZ!!!!
Nah its fine xD
Confusion usually leads to curiosity anyway which happened in this case :D

I always use all offensive moves in-game, but in competitive, when I play, I'll use a couple of stat moves, like Dragon Dance, Hone Claws, and Nasty Plot. Also Metronome.

ZFXZFX

I only use offensive moves in-game because there isn't much point to have any other moves. (MY OPINION)

ZFXZFX ~ ;038;

I use all offensive moves because defensive moves are ehh when you can hit an opponent. I personally prefer physical moves to special moves for the next question.

jstinftw!

hey trainer
It really depends on the type of battle I'm doing, my overall team, and what the Pokemon's role in my team is.

I'm training up for the Autumn Friendly right now, so a couple of my Pokemon have Protect. I'm running a really slow team, so Trick Room has a definite spot, and I have one Pokemon with priority so that it can operate in and out of Trick Room, depending on the situation.

I try to have good accuracy attacks as well, but sometimes, that small percentage of miss is worth the extra power. I don't really like moves like Outrage, mainly because of the confusion afterwards. It's either hope for the best and keep attacking, or switch out, costing me a turn and possibly sacrificing a good Pokemon.

But really, it depends on what I'm trying to do.

draya the dark master

Sort of Undead atm♥
i go super offencive in game (and usally over lvl my pokemon too)
but when i get to comp battleing and the battle subway i am more focused on offence (and the skydrop glitch for doubles :D)

Atratus

Antimatter Trainer
It varies between what battle style of my pokemon is. Such as wall, tank, set up sweeper or rawr sweeper. For example:

4 Offensive moves (My Infernape: Flare Blitz, Close Combat, U-Turn, Mach Punch)
3 Offensive moves + 1 Status move (My Gyarados: Earthquake, Waterfall, Outrage, Dragon Dance)
2 Offensive moves + 2 Status moves (My Slowking: Nasty Plot, Recover, Surf, Psyshock)
1 Offensive moves + 3 Status moves (My Milotic: Scald, Mirror Coat, Recover, Confuse Ray)

Simipour

<('.'<) (>'.')>
Most of my good pokemon are set up sweepers, with moves like splash Swords Dance, Nasty Plot, Shell Smash, Work Up, Earthquake, Flamethrower, Surf, Ice Beam, Leaf Blade, Thunderbolt and even Return on a couple of them.

At first it was only for my semi competitive Swords Dance on my Serperior and Work Up on my Simipour. I always use 100 accurate moves if possible, i did't even realize until recently that Fire Blast is more popular than Flamethrower. The PP(mainly for in game) and consistency of Flamethrower does it for me. lol even the TM is usually harder to get. I remember being able to easily by Fire Blast, Blizzard and Thunder for like 5500 pokedollars, but the 95 power/100 accuracy moves required Game Corner Coins.

Last edited:

Rezzuréct

Allez Les Bleus!
Depends to the opponents. When I faced my brother I usually doing Heavy Offense. When I do Wi-Fi I usually go with Balanced strategy.

nathandg0924

Back in the meantime
That depends. Sometimes I strategize, but most of the time my Pokes moves are all out offensive so I would be able to sweep a lot of types that comes in my way.

Bluebird55

Mr. Blue Skyyyy
Yes, my pokemon have offensive moves, but my Palkia on Pearl has Heal Block, which is crap because the Elite Four can still heal their pokemon - Sod's Law ;188;.

Pokemonbrawl

Random Trainer
I did us a cacturne at the subway with thunder punch, needle arm, smelling salt, and sucker punch I managed to beat the double battle train with it being the last standing (Tyranitar also stood by it for a while.) Its a nice Cacturne good for annoying my only regret is not giving it sandstorm in case someone changes the weather. So yes I go with offensive sometimes.

Bulletproof

Self explanatory.
For example, my Liepard has:
hone claws
night slash
sucker punch
hyper beam

What about you?

Oo Know this is Ingame, but on a Liepard? Really?

I like my Pokemon to take advantage of It's best stat when in game. Like my Amongus with Spore, Giga Drain, Sludge Bomb, & Toxic.

Darth Revan

Coming Out!
all out offensive unless they are stat changing moves or accuracy lowering.

Larry

It definetly depends on the Pokemon for me. I like to have a bulky Pokemon when I play in-game that can use moves like Stockpile.

I usually go offensive, with a bit of boosts and defensive moves. I don't have any particular liking for Physical or Special moves, although I often find myself using Physical more.