• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What languages do you speak other then your first language?

Phsy-Spark

your wish is my strong recommendation
So you mean normal French. I'm Canadian, speak French and have gone to Francophone countries and gotten around fine I find the distinction unnecessary. We don't say "Belgian French" or "Algerian French" or etc. etc.

I grew up learning French and English at the same time although technically I suppose English is my FIRST language. I sort of consider them the same though. I also speak some German.

Some of the words are spelt/spoken differently in Canadian French, apparently to make it easier.

xEryChan

Demon Child
My first language is English but since I've been working in a school with kids who know both English and Spanish, I've been picking up on Spanish as well.

Aoba

I'm starting to learn Japanese again.
I'm in a relationship that requires me too.

Crystagon

English and just some French; I studied the latter in middle school because we had to learn another foreign language aside from English, but I've been neglecting it since then.

Bert

Untitled
My first language is Dutch, but I'm also fairly fluent in English and I can express myself well enough in French. I can read and understand basic German (and speak it well enough to, say, order at a restaurant or something), and I used to read Latin texts at school, but that's kind of a long time ago.

I'd like to learn Spanish (most of the words are kind of familiar so I can read a menu reasonably well, but I'd like to learn the language nonetheless) and Italian, but what I'd like to do and what I end up doing are usually very different things.

Aon_Epiphany

Dreams and Wishes
Sadly, all I know is English as my first language. Trying to pick up on Spanish because of heritage.

Also attempting to learn basic Korean and Japanese since I'm currently in South Korea and won't be leaving any time soon

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Well, English and Dutch are sort of my second and first languages respectively, though I'm becming fluent in Indonesian and I've started working on Japanese again and had to start German, French, Latin, Greek, and Spanish for school/work ;p

It's not really getting anywhere, though.

Mandarin Chinese is my first language. I lived in China until when I moved to the US in 9th grade to study abroad. I don't have much problem with English, though I sometimes mess up on some of the grammar stuff. Other than that, I speak Latin, Sichuanese and Wu-dialect (if they count).

Last edited:

Vern

Why not both?
My first language is chinese, but I can speak english fluently (sometimes more fluent than my mandarin) due to going to a british school and living in a english-speaking community...

Ninfia-Fan

My first language is English and I'm looking at learning another language, maybe Spanish, maybe Icelandic or Norwegian. I don't know, I just want to learn languages, but I just don't have the patience to spend an hour every day to dedicate myself to learning a language, yet. Still, I want to go to Europe and there's an amazing array of languages there, so I guess I'll figure this out. I don't know if I'll be able to decide on a language anytime soon, though.

Takeshino

武 志信
Let's see... My first language is German (5 years in Germany), and after I spent 8 years in Morocco I learnt Arabic, French and English (in order), then I went to the UK where until now I spent one year here, and i'm picking Spanish quite quickly,and I'm hoping to learn Japanese sometime. So approximately 4.5 languages...

Prakhar

Normal: The abnormal
Hindi is my first, English is my second and German is my third (chose it over sanskrit).

I can speak the first two very fluently and well, know the basic about the third..

EDIT: I still know some sanskrit (had it as a compulsion for an year at school, then next year the choice came)

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
English is my first language. I know a little Spanish, Japanese, and ASL (American Sign Language - if you think this isn't a different language from English, you've got a lot to learn). Spanish was forced on me from 6th grade on, but some of my teachers didn't really bother to actually teach us (I'm a tad slow at learning languages, so I ended up in the lower Spanish class, where the teacher figured we just didn't care). I'm currently still working on both the Japanese and ASL. I know I'll sound like a horrible xenophobic person, but my interest in Spanish has dwindled since realizing that most the Spanish speaking guys around here figure I don't know any of their language, and therefore figure they can 'privately' talk about. . . my womanly curves.

I've also found that I can somewhat read German and French, despite never having studied either.

Akwakwak

I'm hungry
Well^Spanish was my first language, but I'm also fluent in English, Italian and Portuguese. I'm finding that learning French is proving to be a tad bit difficult for me. I don't know why but it's just too difficult at least for me. I also speak some Catalan but I only know a few words and phrases.

I'm sorry VampirateMace????

Since my family is from Leon, Guanjuato, Mexico - Spanish is my first language. I still speak it a lot at home. I was born and raised in USA English is the other language I speak - I'm fluent in both.

The languages that I'm really interested in learning is either Latvian or Lithuanian. Really like how the language sounds like and thanks to three of my favorite bands influence me to learn their language. Skyforger (for Latvian), also Obtest and Ugniavijas (both Lithuanian). My only problem for both is that I don't know anyone in Seattle that speak the language and online courses not helping out much.

Thanks to me loving Africa, I may end up learning French (spoken through out most of Africa) or Swahili, most of my favorite African countries speak either French or Swahili.

Last edited:

Takeshino

武 志信
English is my first language. I know a little Spanish, Japanese, and ASL (American Sign Language - if you think this isn't a different language from English, you've got a lot to learn). Spanish was forced on me from 6th grade on, but some of my teachers didn't really bother to actually teach us (I'm a tad slow at learning languages, so I ended up in the lower Spanish class, where the teacher figured we just didn't care). I'm currently still working on both the Japanese and ASL. I know I'll sound like a horrible xenophobic person, but my interest in Spanish has dwindled since realizing that most the Spanish speaking guys around here figure I don't know any of their language, and therefore figure they can 'privately' talk about. . . my womanly curves.

I've also found that I can somewhat read German and French, despite never having studied either.

Well that's natural because German is very similar to English, and French is very similar to Spanish. Likewise, French helped me learn Spanish quite fast :)

VampirateMace

Internet Overlord
Zorocario - Sorry if that upset you. I know perfectly well that there's a lot of perfectly nice people for whom Spanish is their first language (some of my friends here on Serebii, for example), which is why I said I know I'd sound like a horrible person.

Moya - Yep, I've heard that as well. It's still kind of weird, because it's like, 'I know it's not English, but I understand it.'

XYMewtwo

Rising Star
b/c I was born in Peru, my first language I learned was Spanish. I finally got the hang of English at around 8 yrs old. Pretty interested in either learning either French or Italian.