• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What level were your pokemon at when you defeated Red?

Cat's Eye Draco

Early to mid 60s, usually. For some reason I can never really find the motivation to train them any higher beforehand in Johto's games, which is kinda weird since Johto is one of my favorite regions. I guess by the time I've battled my way through both it and Kanto to get to Red I'm just kind of ready to be done with it and move on to something else.

Kage-Pikachu

I had a team of Dragonair (level 44), Tyranitar (Level 56), Jumpluff (Level 44), Typhlosion (Level 50), Suicune (Level 46), and Espeon (Level 51).

It took a lot of revives and healing items (especially since I was trying to level up my Dragonair) but I was able to in thanks to Jumpluff's Leech Seed and Tyranitar was the MVP. Suicune's bulk help against Blastoise's moves and built up Leech Seed damage and Espeon was able to strike hard. Typhlosion smoked Venusaur but was useless against the others and Dragonair was good for paralysis. The hardest part was landing Leech Seed on Blastoise since he kept landing each Blizzard attack but once he was out Leech Seeded and used Poison Powder to end him.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Around Level 80 from what I recall. I knew what to expect from his team, so I didn't challenge him in Gold and Silver until my team was well-developed. I didn't want to take any chances.

LusoTrainer

Retro Trainer
I can barely remember (it was almost 20 years ago), but no higher than 65. Feraligatr being the one with the highest level.

Aquarelle

Staff member
On my most recently completed playthrough (Gold on VC), my entire team was level 65 when I defeated Red.

My level has varied between different GSC playthroughs, though. For instance, I defeated him at level 50-something on one Crystal playthrough many years ago.

MockingJ

Banned
Like Lv 70-ish I think. I didn't even know who he was when I fought him on Mt. Silver, so the battle caught me off guard.

Leonhart

Imagineer
KyogreThunder said:
I think they were around level 65, but defeating Red wasn't even hard thanks to his team's awful movesets.

Even with bad movesets, I didn't like how Red's team was at such a high level compared to the last Kanto Gym Leader's team. The leveling curve made that match awful.

Gizmoduck

Burns eternally hot
Don't recall the team, but pretty sure I matched him, and then was disappointed in that I over-prepared.