• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What makes a fic popular?

Caithyra

What makes a fic popular?

Well, first you have to grab some readers, and that's done with good summaries, covers/banners and titles. The stuff that tickles curiosities, so to speak.

The second is a good hook within the first couple of sentences/paragraphs to keep the reader from back-buttoning.

The last, and most important thing?

Well, it varies.

If there's a seasoned fan fiction reader, new ideas and old ideas told in a refreshingly new way would probably hook them, and it also hooks new readers if interesting enough.

If there's a new reader, they're probably looking for fiction that fits with how they view canon, and then branch out from there.

But the most important thing is to tell a story in an interesting way. Even the most perfect of stories will sound dull when droned like a bad history lesson, likewise, the history lesson will become infinitely more interesting and memorable when performed with emotion and variance. Try watching different documentaries about the same event, and note which ones you liked the most and why.

If the story is interesting enough, and it grabs the reader, many times grammar and spelling problems are overlooked. Though if it's too difficult to read, it's no good.

There's also genres:

Canon Character vs Original Character Stories: Canon Characters wins, hands down.

Fad Genres such as Dark Fics, will be popular during the fads (I remember the Age of the Dark Fics in Pokémon fandom years ago, it makes me feel old).

Staple Genres such as Journey Fics, keeps an average popularity with the occasional dip or rise. There's a great glut of them, so it's harder to be seen.

Safe Genres such as Humour, keeps a slightly above average popularity as a whole. People like to laugh, and there's isn't always such a great demand for accuracy and detail, or even good spelling and grammar, so if the writer manages to be funny, they're pretty safe. This doesn't mean that those things aren't appreciated, however.

There's also word of mouth, and having succeeded in other fandoms and so on.

There really isn't one single answer to the question of popularity (maybe you narrowed it down to a single fan fiction, one could dissect it).

At least, this have been my observations during the 11 years I've been around this fandom (similar things have also shown up in similar fandoms, like Yu-Gi-Oh and Digimon and so on).

Aura Master

Smell of Success
I really don't think your should care if its popular or not. Writing Fan Fiction is for the fun of it or practice not seeing how many viewers you can get.

I see fics all the time that go a long amount of chapters without reviews. Personally, I like being noticed and admired.

But back to topic, I think that twisted plots really is what pulls people to a fic and adds popularity.

Any fic from the Anime, in my mind, isn't popular. From the reason of pretty much taking the anime characters and manipulating them to do plots that don't fit their characterization. Most newbies take on a Anime related fic and all I've seen from those were crits complaining about grammar, description, ect.

I think the "chosen one" stuff really is "in" these days around Pokemon Fandom. I'm one of those people who like it when Pokemon Trainers can shoot fire out of swords that corresponds to a Legendary Pokemon (not being specific :S) or just being able to control elements, have a special purpose for being born or any of that jazz.

*finishes inserting 2 cents.*

Wow, this is a tough question, and a very good one to. My own fan fic sort of died on me after four lengthy chapters and zero reviews.

Okay, so in my opinion, what really makes a story unique is all about the problem that arises in the plotline. The problem shouldn't be all black and white, like the common "saving the world" sort of thing. If some wonderfully good reason for the villain being so horrible and an awesome, epic way the hero defeats the villain is incorporated into the fic, I believe it will become popular pretty quickly. Take the His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman, for instance. The main enemy is the Catholic Church that had never been through the reformation and the only way to save the universe is to take a Fall from Grace.

Anyways, right now I've noticed that the stories getting the most reviews are all rated above G. Tastes vary. But bleah, I'm just trying to be general here.