• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What makes a Pokemon a Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zetta Awesome

What do you guys believe are the qualities something would need to be considered a pokemon. Of course there are the creatures that inhabit the pokemon world like ordinary animals but they are also grouped with those creatures of deity-like powers but I guess these all stem from Mew or Arceus or however people interpret this.

The main thing that confuses me is how some of these artificially created creatures are considered pokemon.
Concerns of mine are Mewtwo, the Porygon line, Deoxys and Banette due to its pokedex entry.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
If said creature is not a human and can learn moves, it is a pokemon.

There you go.

I would say that a Pokemon is an in-human creature with naturally (or supernaturally, as the case may be) awesome powers. I mean, not all rats can shoot thunderbolts!

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
Alot of people claim that some of the newer Pokemon "aren't" Pokemon because they look like Digimon or something, but really even since Gen 1 there's not really been a design standard.

In Gen 1 alone we have three Pokemon that wear clothes, 2 of those vaguely human, we had quite a few that are living objects (Magnemite, Voltorb, Geodude), and of course the usual "animals with powers" Pokemon is associated with. So really, there's not a set design or anything like some people act like. Really if Gamefreak calls it a Pokemon then it is a Pokemon. They can be caught, taught moves, and they all display animalistic like behaviors mostly (they need to eat, sleep, ect.), even the ones not based off animals.

MrBacklot

Not A Blowhard
Anyone who's played Earthbound would recognize the idea of random people and (normally stationary and lifeless) objects and animals running up and attacking you. A Pokemon is anything that is capable of being captured in a Pokeball. I mean, you don't see PEOPLE getting nabbed, do you?

Noheart

The Abysswalker
When it looks animal-like and has supah powaz, it's a pogeymanz!

Emperor Giratina

Car Racing Pundit
If a Pokemon can be captured inside a Pokeball, learn moves and repeat its own name (exception: In the anime, most Pokemon know how to talk and are at times, more intelligent) it's worthy to be called a Pokemon. It's said in the video games that when a Pokemon manages to break an apricon, it turns into some sort of energy and gets trapped inside the apricon (well, that's what the interior of Pokeballs are made of! Remember the times of Pokemon Gold, Pokemon Silver and Pokemon Crystal? You had to give apricons to that Kurt guy so that he could make a Pokeball for you that's not obtainable in the Pokemarts, yes?)

lorddarigarn

Bane of Optomists.
A Pokemon is an non-human entity that can gather energy generated from its body or from external sources (i.e. solar energy) and through the use of said energy either a: a - an alternate form of energy (electricity, the white aura thing in so many attacks); b - the creation of matter (water, stone, sludge); c - influence the nature of the enviroment surrounding it (telekenisis, heat, whirlwinds) or; d - increase its physical abilities (quick attack, calm mind, agility).

Anyone who's played Earthbound would recognize the idea of random people and (normally stationary and lifeless) objects and animals running up and attacking you. A Pokemon is anything that is capable of being captured in a Pokeball. I mean, you don't see PEOPLE getting nabbed, do you?

True, but in one episode of the Anime, Ash caught a donut. Are donuts Pokemon?

chimchar19

Rockstar Drift
The abilities and its types is what makes a pokemon a pokemon. We are able to throw them into battle and work with them to win the battle.

NinjaBaker

Well if it can shoot fire out of its mouth, climp waterfalls, or shoot little stars, then its a pokemon. If it can't, its a regular animal.

;151;

m190049

Local psychopath
True, but in one episode of the Anime, Ash caught a donut. Are donuts Pokemon?

He didn't "REALLY" catch a the doughnut rice ball.. Whatever Pokeballs are, they're still hollow capsules. You can put an item in an empty one if it fits. When the Pokeball opened, there was no red light, and the item was just sitting in there.

Anyway, really, a Pokemon is a Pokemon if it's alive (though more developed than a common plant), and not a human, or things such as bacteria and germs, like colds, or Pokerus. There are plant Pokemon- so it's not exclusively animals. They just have to be developed the point where they can move, eat, see, etc. (however in some cases one or more of those may be missing)

There are no Animals in the Pokemon World (however there are scarce amounts of animals in the Anime). So really, as long as it's not one of the previously mentioned things, it should be a Pokemon.
At least, going along with what the topic.

If you want a "Pokemon isn't real" answer, than...
"If GameFreak make it a Pokemon. The end."

Last edited:

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
I wouldn't be surprised if we do see a doughnut pokemon soon.

In the pokemon world, I believe that anything that isnt human is a pokemon. In the anime, they refernce real life animals a few times. But I think pretty much everything that isnt human, is a pokemon.

joker0187

my rolfcopter goes..
their small and furry like chautzou and belong in pokeballs and not dragons balls or music balls

Status
Not open for further replies.