• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What makes an anime "Good/Great" in your view

AceFlonne

Mediator
Basically what the title says. Discuss

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Great Cast (No Sasuke's or Sakura's)
Watchable Plot (The worst it is, the better the characters should be)
Great animation (Most KyoAni works) Or at least unique (Panty and Stocking)
VAs don't mean much to me when it comes to Japanese ones. English is a different story.
Murder and Dismemberment!

RLinksoul

Likable characters is the biggest thing for me. I can overlook a lousy animation style (unless it's Shaft's) or a poorly written story if I like the majority of the characters.
Good character development is a must for shows with a story. Comedy shows don't really need it but it makes them all the better.
And finally, a good show for me should have a balance between light and dark elements. If it's too cheery and fluffy and nothing bad ever happens, it gets kinda boring. If it's too grimdark and wangsty and everyone's doomed no matter what, then it feels like there's nothing to look forward to. I can't invest my emotions into it, and all the melodrama gets really stale.

Kurloz Makara

Red Death
Humor, great characters, and a good plot. Animation styles and subs/dubs don't bother me at all. ^_^

Zazie

So 1991
One that keeps me entertained when I watch it.

This is regardless of how ridiculous the concepts is, whether or not I can follow the narrative or even understand what they are saying. And I certainly don't care about animation quality.

Half the fun of watching anime is taking what they show you and making it your own. That's not something you can rate objectively.

Last edited:

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Like the people above have said, good characters, writing, plot, art direction, animation quality, enjoyability all come into play.

It's got to be the right amount of that stuff. Compensation and balance are what's important. I can overlook an art style that I normally wouldn't enjoy if it has strong writing and characters (Kaiji, Clannad, Steins;Gate, in these cases I ended up embracing the art style later.) On the other side if the story is bad sometimes I can overlook that if it's a joy to look at (Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt). So in most cases it just comes down to if the show has enough good things that it outweighs it's flaws and becomes great.

ParaChomp

be your own guru
Just watched JesuOtaku's Highschool of the Dead review...doesn't always have to be "good" to be enjoyable.

matt0044

Izanagi

'Sup!
Mostly if a series has a decent amount of action, a good story, a likable cast, stunning animation, and last but not least a decent soundtrack then it will probably be a watch in my book. I always saw a good anime like baking a cake, without all the ingredient it just doesn't work. I usually don't mind fan-service but whenever it becomes too much I usually drop it. Fan-service is usually the icing in the metaphorical cake.

Kutie Pie

"It is my destiny."
I feel that as long as the plot and atmosphere is great, the animation is at least tolerable to watch, and the characters are likeable characters, I don't care about the VAs in either Japanese or English. Generally, of course, it's usually the characters and story that captivate me.

Oh yeah, and a great soundtrack is always a plus.

Originality. A tight cast. If there is a lot of characters they should all play an important role and not be forgotten about. A "Kudzu Plot" if you will. Good voice actors.

Xashlei

probably elsewhere
Definitely some plot that captivates you, where you honestly wonder "What happens next?" at some point in your day. Characters you can sympathize with, laugh at and with. For especially powerful series you get moved to tears. When it comes to slice-of-life, instead of thinking about story direction it's what kind of strange scenario comes next.

Either way, you're never bored.

Charizard Champion#06

Spiral Warrior
Definitely some plot that captivates you, where you honestly wonder "What happens next?" at some point in your day. Characters you can sympathize with, laugh at and with. For especially powerful series you get moved to tears. When it comes to slice-of-life, instead of thinking about story direction it's what kind of strange scenario comes next.

Either way, you're never bored.

And yet people still wonder why other people enjoy K-On!.

For most semi action anime like Herems, comedy and spices of character development. If you're like shows like Rosario Vampire, screw who goes with who, give me the comedy because shipping in Harems ruins the whole concept.