• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What makes some people think that Pokemon is going downhill

Arceusgamer14

Sorry, more rant on 150 Pokenoobs, Just WHAT THE HELL Is wrong with new Pokemon. Why do people think that they "should" of stayed with 151 Pokemon and not increase more ever? It's getting stupid and stupid like their acting like spoiled 7 year olds. What makes them think of that?

-Raiga-

Simple, they've grown up, and pokemon didn't grow up with them. Pokemon isn't aimed at people in the teens and adults, its just that some of us still like the designs and gameplay.

munchlaxboy

Catching up on XY
Callin' me a noob?

To be honest, I do believe they should have stopped at 251, but, then again, the series would not be as popular today if they did not expand.

They should have developed these Pokemon more, and only made new Pokemon as evolutions to already existing Pokemon and some pre-evolutions (not the worthless bajillion of them we have today).

Meh, I'm entitled to an opinion.

Kazuki Sendo

Eevee Breeder
Its called a Broken Base.

You have the crowd that anything over 150 are just add ons... Then you got the Gen 2 crowd that says Pokemon should have stopped come 251.

In every game ever made... you will find a fringe fraction that will say.

"X game sucks because of this.... and let me tell you why [activate rant]"
So dont sweat it let them complain, the games have been getting better and a bit more balanced since Gen 1.

Arceusgamer14

So I guess your saying that they're not smart enough to know that Pokemon was meant to go on!

The Smartest PKMN fans are the one who liked almost every Gen from I-V and so on!

WynautQueen

Pokemon Caretaker
The wrong combination of nostalgia and stupidity.

This, unfortunately. Nostalgia's great, but it's a shame when it gets in the way of something that one may have enjoyed otherwise. I think these people just need to be able to move on.

But I don't know, I'm probably unfairly generalizing a large group of people, but it's hard not to when they tend to think that the generation containing redundant Pokemon like Grimer and Muk, Voltorb and Electrode and Diglett and Dugtrio was the most creative of all of them.

BlitzBlast

Busy with School
What is this?

Twentieth thread about the fan base this year?

Arceusgamer14

Another question are there more on-going Pokemon fans than Pokemon fans that only love 151/251? I just feel we're outnumbered by Haters than Lovers!

Gentleman

Sitting on Horsea
I think it is understandable to think Pokemon is, in some ways, declining. Graphics and balance and all that are doing fine--better, generally. But some people may be feeling Pokemon is starting to fall into a sort of pattern, or is in ways that are not at all black and white (excusing the possibility of a pun) losing that "spark" that made it so special for them when RBYGSC were rolling around.

It could be for any number of reasons--maybe they're just not kids anymore. Maybe Pokemon is falling into patterns, or is starting to feel a little mundane. A lot of it's subjective, and some people react badly at the "Pokemon isn't as good these days" end of the scale. Aversion to change and all that.

I think Pokemon's still pretty great these days, all said and done. I feel like there was a certain magic to the older games that the newer games don't have, but that's mostly nostalgia speaking.

Fanatic dislike of the newer games, particularly when pressed onto other people, still isn't cool, even if semi-justified. And thankfully, they are essentially the minority.

But personally, I think ranting in the other direction is kind of feeding the fires. That's just me, though.

Krake

Flabebe's Kids
Another question are there more on-going Pokemon fans than Pokemon fans that only love 151/251? I just feel we're outnumbered by Haters than Lovers!

Because the haters think that, if they complain hard enough, all the Pokemon games past the 2nd generation will disappear.

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
Sorry, more rant on 150 Pokenoobs, Just WHAT THE HELL Is wrong with new Pokemon. Why do people think that they "should" of stayed with 151 Pokemon and not increase more ever? It's getting stupid and stupid like their acting like spoiled 7 year olds. What makes them think of that?

Its called a Broken Base.

You have the crowd that anything over 150 are just add ons... Then you got the Gen 2 crowd that says Pokemon should have stopped come 251.

In every game ever made... you will find a fringe fraction that will say.

"X game sucks because of this.... and let me tell you why [activate rant]"
So dont sweat it let them complain, the games have been getting better and a bit more balanced since Gen 1.

You do realize there are also people that think it should have ended at 125? 386?

You do realize that some of the people complaining about the fifth generation starters are actually obsessed with torchic, mudkip and treecko? There were a lot of 3rd gen freaks that hate chimchar because Infernape bests Blaziken.

So as you are continuing to lump everyone in as nostaligc freaks of the kanto/johto days there is a growing number of kids obsessed with the 3rd gen, claiming that was Pokemon's glory days.

No generation fanbase is going to be perfect. Every generation will have nostalgic kids who grew up on X generation.

So I guess your saying that they're not smart enough to know that Pokemon was meant to go on!

The Smartest PKMN fans are the one who liked almost every Gen from I-V and so on!

Yes. So that means that the ones who bash the 1st and 2nd gens as being lame and stupid and the worst gens are also idiots as well, amirite?

Yes. No.

I think it is very interesting that the last two threads of this nature have actually been started by nostalgia bashers, people who are just bashing the members who only like the first 151. The mods concentrated everything about people hating new sh*t into one thread but now we have nostalgia bashers making threads like this all the damn time.

My point: I find it highly ironic that people complained when people repeatedly made threads titled "ZOMG I HATE NEW POKEMANZ" but every month when a thread starts titled "LETZ BASH SUM TEHM NOSTALGIC FREAKZ" nobody complains but then complains when the nostalgia obsessed kids get on and take over.

/Rant. I'm done :3

Last edited:

randomspot555

I think it is understandable to think Pokemon is, in some ways, declining.

There is a no ways to even imagine that Pokemon is declining. If an individual doesn't like it, that is fine. But to say it's declining would mean it's on some spiral to becoming a has-been. And considering it's still raking in money, it isn't declining.

But some people may be feeling Pokemon is starting to fall into a sort of pattern,

Or maybe they were too young to realize the pattern set when Game Freak made FOUR games (Red, Blue, Yellow, and Green) that shared 98% of the content. Or when the sequel to these games had half of the content from the previous games in the new ones, and still kept much of the same plot elements.

Maybe Pokemon is falling into patterns, or is starting to feel a little mundane. A lot of it's subjective,

It is not subjective. Pokemon has fallen into a pattern/formula since Day 1.

Because the haters think that, if they complain hard enough, all the Pokemon games past the 2nd generation will disappear.

I just find it funny that so many of them still play it. Not the reasonable people who prefer Gens I/II but like Gens 3+, but the people who HATE Hoenn and beyond but still buy the games on the first day of release.

You do realize there are also people that think it should have ended at 125?

125?

You do realize that some of the people complaining about the fifth generation starters are actually obsessed with torchic, mudkip and treecko? There were a lot of 3rd gen freaks that hate chimchar because Infernape bests Blaziken.

They aren't "freaks." They're likely people whose first generation was Hoenn. They have nostalgia fans just like every other group.

Also, it's common among fandom to dump on everything new when it's first released. Most of them will get over it, maybe even like it.

So as you are continuing to lump everyone in as nostaligc freaks of the kanto/johto days there is a growing number of kids obsessed with the 3rd gen, claiming that was Pokemon's glory days.

Yes. So that means that the ones who bash the 1st and 2nd gens as being lame and stupid and the worst gens are also idiots as well, amirite?

Uh, yeah, that's what the posts in this forum indicate. There are a lot of people (again, here, not in the real world) who think Pokemon was ruined forever approximately when they got into middle school or high school.

I think it is very interesting that the last two threads of this nature have actually been started by nostalgia bashers,

The Concentrated Hatred thread was started by a nostalgia whiner. It was later merged with another nostalgia whiner thread, and then a THIRD thread was merged into that.

but now we have nostalgia bashers making threads like this all the damn time.

Two threads in a few months doesn't invalidate the dozens of "Too Many Legendaries?" and "Sinnoh doesn't have a certain magic" and "OMGZERS THEY CHANGED THE GRASS" (yes, people actually complained about how the grass looks in HG/SS).

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
251?

They aren't "freaks."

Hey I call them nostalgia freaks and people like you nostalgia bashers. I just call 'em like I see 'em.

They're likely people whose first generation was Hoenn. They have nostalgia fans just like every other group.

Really? I never knew that! You are so insightful! Except I'm pretty sure I made that clear. in my post. Read the whole thing first please and think about it as a whole before responding to each sentence. :)

Also, it's common among fandom to dump on everything new when it's first released. Most of them will get over it, maybe even like it.

Yeah. Okay. Your point being?

Uh, yeah, that's what the posts in this forum indicate. There are a lot of people (again, here, not in the real world) who think Pokemon was ruined forever approximately when they got into middle school or high school.

And this trend keeps on going. It doesn't magically stop at 251 like you apparently believe. That was the whole point of my post.

The Concentrated Hatred thread was started by a nostalgia whiner. It was later merged with another nostalgia whiner thread, and then a THIRD thread was merged into that.

True. Good job at stating the obvious Capt. Randomspot555. But the latest incarnation that got merged into there was started by a nostalgia basher. I actually say you commenting on it in a circlejerk of agreement before it got merged there as well.

Two threads in a few months doesn't invalidate the dozens of "Too Many Legendaries?" and "Sinnoh doesn't have a certain magic" and "OMGZERS THEY CHANGED THE GRASS" (yes, people actually complained about how the grass looks in HG/SS).

You do realize that this group gains more from different generations over time? Like I said before as time goes on more generations join the group of ZOMG POKEMON HAZ LOZT AL MAGIK. You realized some of the people *****ing about Sinnoh in the concentrated hatred of everything new thread were Hoenn lovers right? Again are still some butthurt kids over the whole Infernape > Blaziken.

Also I remember back in a thread titled "Why do so many dislike 3rd gen?" there were reasons being given by people who didn't like it any why. However, the thread became crowded with responses like "The third gen was the best ever! The fourth gen is lame! etc. etc."

So please no gen fanbase is perfect and has a clean record of not bashing next generations.

Gentleman

Sitting on Horsea
There is a no ways to even imagine that Pokemon is declining. If an individual doesn't like it, that is fine. But to say it's declining would mean it's on some spiral to becoming a has-been. And considering it's still raking in money, it isn't declining.

If an individual feels it is in decline, then they feel it is in decline. I'm not talking about the franchise itself going downhill and becoming some money pit or whatever (since this discussion isn't really about that), I'm talking about how people feel about the games themselves. It's not impossible to believe that Pokemon games are in, in some form or another, going down in quality--which, again, could mean a lot of things.

Or maybe they were too young to realize the pattern set when Game Freak made FOUR games (Red, Blue, Yellow, and Green) that shared 98% of the content. Or when the sequel to these games had half of the content from the previous games in the new ones, and still kept much of the same plot elements

Well, maybe they were. Maybe they weren't. I don't think it's as cut-and-dried as "GSC was basically reusing RBY content". To some people, it feels more like they were getting two regions for the price of one game, not like they were getting the same exact thing over again (which, to be fair, they weren't).

As I said, there are a lot of ways for people to feel Pokemon is one way or another going downhill. The pattern they see doesn't necessarily have to be "Pokemon has multiple versions all the time", the pattern they see doesn't even have to make sense to other people. Like Gen 3 and Gen 4 supposedly having the same exact storyline--and by this I mean the whole legendaries and controlling them thing, seeing as it's easy to be misunderstood here. Anyhow, whether it makes a lot of sense or not, they see it.

And please don't confuse what I'm saying here as my own personal views. I'm sort of getting a semi-hostile vibe here, and it makes me think you could have misinterpreted what I was saying as what I personally think, not what I think others think. Though, yeah, I see qualities in the first two generations I just don't feel in the newer games, for reasons I can't myself explain (and yet I'm nowhere near fanatic nostalgia-obsessive. The newer games are still pretty dang sweet), my interpretation of what the people who claim the first two are the only real games is just that: an interpretation. If I'm wrong here on what you thought, I apologize. Just clarifying.

It is not subjective. Pokemon has fallen into a pattern/formula since Day 1.

But not everybody sees or cares or gets angry about the same patterns.

I just find it funny that so many of them still play it. Not the reasonable people who prefer Gens I/II but like Gens 3+, but the people who HATE Hoenn and beyond but still buy the games on the first day of release.

Well, got to spend the money somewhere. :p

Last edited:

Willow's Tara

The Bewitched
People can be just so nostalgia and can't accept what it is. I really like all of the gens myself, Pokemon from each group, sure there are some I don't like or probably shouldn't need an evolved form but I still like a group from each gen (Hoenn seems to have the most favorite for me and I have been watching since Kanto),

MetalFlygon08

Haters Gonna Hate
People think that becuase they think all designs 3rd gen. on are random, they should read up on the history of them, bulbapedia has a nice new section with the orgins of pokemon, pokemon of the 1st 2 gens had less history in the real world, than those of 3rd gen on.