• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What makes some people think that Pokemon is going downhill

Zalman

Master of Puppets
I agree i would love to see some old episodes, they skipped the whole Jotho sag,a except the episodes from larvitar found his mom and so on, in my country :(
Same here. They did so in all of Scandinavia.

Honestly, I don't feel like Pokémon is going downhill, but I can see why people think so. The Pokémon designs aren't as simplistic as in the first couple of generations. People don't like the new style Pokémon got going on.

To me, that's fine. However, my only complaint is the animé. After Master Quest, it seemed like they rewamped everything. The art and color style got changed and they started to make Ash more mature. I love how eager he is in the first season, and how he's always fighting with Misty. Also, the Jukebox at the end was awesome.

This may sound like nostalgia, but it's a fact that the animé isn't the same anymore. Some people prefer the old style, some people prefer the new. However, again, it's good to see the games are still going on with the same quality.

Last edited:

bel9

n3w 2 sppf :3
Not that this is actually what they did, but isn't that essentially what they did by stipulating the defeat of the Elite Four and the acquisition of the National Pokédex before unlocking Pal Park in D/P/Pt, thereby ensuring that you can't just plow through the game with your aforementioned Lv. 92 Typhlosion, something that the level limits of the Gym badges dictate as impossible anyway?

Yes and No. I would say that a complete generational barrier is separate than one that allows passage of Pokemon later in the post game. I prefer the latter of course and find that to be an excellent compromise, keeping players from easily abusing the game on the first playthrough with a Pokemon from a previous gen (which is like you said- hard to do without badges) while also allowing Pokemon to travel across generations. Although you started fresh you eventually get your Blaziken/Sceptile/Swampert/Typhlosion/Squirtle/[insert pokemon here]

Omastar ftw!

Honestly, I don't feel like Pokémon is going downhill, but I can see why people think so. The Pokémon designs aren't as simplistic as in the first couple of generations. People don't like the new style Pokémon got going on.

To me, that's fine. However, my only complaint is the animé. After Master Quest, it seemed like they rewamped everything. The art and color style got changed and they started to make Ash more mature. I love how eager he is in the first season, and how he's always fighting with Misty. Also, the Jukebox at the end was awesome.

This may sound like nostalgia, but it's a fact that the animé isn't the same anymore. Some people prefer the old style, some people prefer the new. However, again, it's good to see the games are still going on with the same quality.

That's kinda sad. I liked the old anime better than the new junk.

Charmander#4

Dating Rosie Palms?

Actually, in Denmark, the particular episode with Larvitar has aired once, on TV2. It's a long time ago, but I remember seeing some of it.

I don't really care for the animé, though, so I just switched to the next channel.

Arceusgamer14

I think hating Pokemon after Gold/Silver is stupid and annoying. I mean How is Nintendo "Out of Ideas" if they keep making more new Pokemon. The insults are just hurtful to most of Pokemon fans (Like Me) who are on going. Is it really still cool to love all Pokemon gens? Are you really alone, The only Pokemon fan left? Because of those insults, I just almost feel like New Pokemon are a disgrace to the world!

randomspot555

Actually, in Denmark, the particular episode with Larvitar has aired once, on TV2. It's a long time ago, but I remember seeing some of it.

I don't really care for the animé, though, so I just switched to the next channel.

I imagine running repeats depends on who carries the Pokmeon anime in your country. Cartoon Network occasonally will marathon older episodes of Sinnoh, though it's probably been close to a year since I've spotted a pre-Sinnoh repeat aired.

pokemon.com at one point (so did Cartoon Network) had the old episodes up in a streaming format.

Atrum Animus

Penguin Trainer
I don't think it's going downhill, it's just changing. It's the Pokemon purists and Anti-Pokemon people who are actually saying it's going downhill, I think.

KPasa

avid life-liver
Well, it's not the flop that people think it is these days, but it's definitely not as prominent in pop culture as it used to be. There's also a lot of new stuff cluttering up the genre and occupying kid's time.
I think if we saw pokemon develop more with the ages it's audience we'd see a slight growth in popularity again, nothing major though.

Jb

Tsun in the streets
Well really when people think of pokemon they think of the anime first, that being said the anime has a "Kiddy" reputation among fans of the game/people that havent played it yet, in such, merchindise sale go down as a resulte of people not wanting to look "kiddy".
I also prevents the franchise from getting more fans as they too don't want to look "kiddy", lasty the current fan base fron the 90's are geting older and are growing out the "poke phase".

More kids+Less fans comming in+large fan base out growing it= down hill from my point of view.

Cobalt_Latios

I don't think it's going downhill, it's just changing. It's the Pokemon purists and Anti-Pokemon people who are actually saying it's going downhill, I think.
I'd say this is one of the best comments of this thread... which says something, I think.

Well really when people think of pokemon they think of the anime first, that being said the anime has a "Kiddy" reputation among fans of the game/people that havent played it yet, in such, merchindise sale go down as a resulte of people not wanting to look "kiddy".
I also prevents the franchise from getting more fans as they too don't want to look "kiddy", lasty the current fan base fron the 90's are geting older and are growing out the "poke phase".

More kids+Less fans comming in+large fan base out growing it= down hill from my point of view.
You know what's funny? During the period of HGSS, I knew a lot of people about my age (18-20) that bought it. And this was in College. IMO, many people "secretly" do still like it, it's just not as prevalent due to the connotation you provided us with.

Some fans are more into it than others, some hate the show but love the games, and some only know about the early years.

Heck, at one point, I only had the cards.

C_L

Gentleman

Sitting on Horsea
I was going to write an in-depth response to each of jb08045's points, but I really can't, since both of our arguments would be based on a load of speculation and things that can't be proven.

Suffice to say, I think Pokemon's been doing pretty well at getting and keeping an all-ages audience. I don't know why people would be so much more familiar with the show than the games, considering Pokemon's built itself on the latter. If you ask people for a handful of good games on the DS, Pokemon is most likely going to pop up there, whether or not they're ten or twenty.

I also prevents the franchise from getting more fans as they too don't want to look "kiddy",

Look at yourself. I'm going to assume you don't consider yourself a kid. You're apparently still into Pokemon. Why is that? Could it be that somehow the games "transcend" age? That a fairly significant portion of the old fanbase is still interested in Pokemon (albeit, not as fanatically as when they were growing up with it)? I mean, I see Serebii, and a whole bunch of other Pokemon-related websites. Most of the people I've seen on said websites are in their teens.

Heck, that'd actually point to an increasing number of older fans, going by your argument, since Pokemon is or was supposedly seen as "kiddy," and now there's at least a number of people who've grown up with it and still like it... Wouldn't that mean it's going uphill in your opinion?

"Targeted at kids" in no way means "Accessible only to kids," and I think Pokemon's rather notable older fanbase speaks for Pokemon's ability to resonate with most age groups. Heck, I've seen an old lady at the local Mcdonalds playing Leafgreen on an SP. If that isn't all-ages, I don't know what is.

Ohey, it looks like my post was fairly long anyways, not to mention still lacking a firm base in fact. Oh well! Better luck next time.

That's interesting, I think. I'm not sure I've heard Pokemon being claimed as going downhill based on the content of its fanbase... even if I disagree with you. New opinions and all that.

Last edited:

BCVM22

Well really when people think of pokemon they think of the anime first

"First" is entirely unable to be proven on your part, but with that said, the anime exists as a promotional vehicle for the games and the rest of the franchise, so even if what you're trying to put forth were an ironclad truth (it's not, of course), it still wouldn't be the negative you're trying to paint it to be.

that being said the anime has a "Kiddy" reputation among fans of the game/people that havent played it yet

On the count of the former - "fans of the game" - so what? If they're fans of the games, chances are they've purchased more than a few of them, in which case, mission accomplished. Who cares if they don't watch the anime? They've given the franchise their money where it really counts.

On the count of the latter - "people who haven't played it yet" - who cares? Pokémon is what it is, it's not new and it's not sneaking up on anyone. There's zero mystery as to what the franchise is nor is it at all difficult for one to discern for themselves what the franchise is and what it offers in its various iterations. People who like it already like it and if someone has disliked it or otherwise stayed away from it for this long, good for them. No one cares. The franchise is supposed to worry about the people who aren't buying its products? No. Not how it works.

in such, merchindise sale go down as a resulte of people not wanting to look "kiddy".

No they don't. What possible support can you provide for this point?

I also prevents the franchise from getting more fans as they too don't want to look "kiddy"

No it doesn't. Yet again, I have to ask as to what support you could possibly provide for this point? The point was made by someone else - if someone is old enough to actually worry about "looking kiddy" to the degree where they would actually elect to eschew anything Pokémon-related as a result, then there's a very good chance they're beyond the target demographic and no longer need to be cared about.

lasty the current fan base fron the 90's are geting older and are growing out the "poke phase".

What do kids and potato chips have in common? "Eat them, we'll make more."

Wait, that didn't work... ah hell, you get the idea, though. The "current fan base from the 90s" can get older and outgrow the franchise all they like. Good for them. Adios. Enjoy your passage through the turmoils of puberty. There are still kids and there are more kids on the way, all of whom will have no problem continuing to buy Pokémon products, now and in the future.

And given that your "point of view" is based on flawed perceptions and logic that can be called "fuzzy" at best, I think it can be reasonably concluded that your point of view, as expressed by you, in this particular matter is just a wee bit skewed.

Last edited:

BCVM22

and for those folks who say gamefreak is running out of ideas.. no,, this is what it would be like if they were running out of ideas LOL

And now we can look forward to people replying, in all seriousness, "but that's what the new Pokémon look like!"