• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What Makes the Diamond/Pearl Anime Better/Worse than Previous Seasons?

YukiJadenSurvives

-Weak Teams (If they were weak teams they wouldn't be winning battles would they?
-Brock
-Team Rocket getting stale
-Ash having a losing streak against gym leaders that he is CLEARLY better than. (Losing streak? He only lost once to each gym leader)
-Some cool new pokemon just have a weak cameo (Hippopotas/Hippowdon)

That's only you.

pokemaster95

King of pirates
Ash didn't lose to Maylene and prbly wont lose to Wake ^^^^

uber gon

Accept Change
I don't get why most people say that Dawn really made the season worse. Now come on look at her storyline, it's very realistic showing that main characters do not always win and try hard just to win a contest.

Yeah, the realism was really a GOOD addition.

Squeeeee.

Good:
-SOME better filler characters (though ones that look like they're related to rivals somehow is kinda creepy...)
-More attention to my greatest Pokemon love, Ground types. <3 (Hippos, Swinub, Gligar, etc.)
-Some interesting Fillers
-LETTING MUSASHI WIN A CONTEST WITHOUT CHEATING! That made me happy. :3
-Interesting Plot twists
-Paul/J. Most epic rival/villan EVER.

Bad:
-Piplup. 'Nough said. Shove the Non-Flying bird in it's ball for awhile, Hikari. IT'S NOT LIKE PIKA. IT SHOULD NOT BE ON YOUR HEAD.
-James not getting enough attention. Jessie is developing in her skills, but he's just kinda...there.
-Satoshi losing where he should win. It's like Pika returns to level five EVERY time he returns home and eats his mother's cooking. Wtf.
-Repetative Pokemon Appearences (Onix, Geodude, Magikarp/Gyarados, Golbat, etc.)
-The teams are VERY bland and don't have much development as "friends," like they have in previous seasons.
-Riolu Speculations going WAY overboard.

:3 Just my opinionssss~

S.Suikun

Thank you, SPPf! :)
More musical than the sound of 1000 Riolu capture fanatics being pummeled to death with riot gear and tear gas:
- Excellent pacing (sans Wallace Cup), going slowly but managing to keep up its quality while doing so.
- An actual rival for Ash that gives him motivation to eventually beat him.
- An actual villain that's not a bumbling idiot who always gets caught.
- A few unexpected capture methods (but not so extreme that "ZOMG ITZ D/P ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN!!!11").
- Internet memes - Now no longer limited to horny one-liners about Seakings and Mudkipz.

More repulsive than the sound of 1000 Riolu capture fanatics making love on the beach to make Riolu capture fanatic babies:
- Need for concern for the Team Galactic arc, given their late debut and infrequent appearances.
- Dawn's rivals having the depth of an 8.5 x 11 piece of blank paper.
- The hiring of Kazue Kinoshita and the re-hiring of Yusaku Takeda.
- The fact that as the show progresses, the fanbase seems to get stupider and stupider.
- POCHA POCHA BUY MY TALKING POCHA DOLL GETTO DA ZE!

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
- The fact that as the show progresses, the fanbase seems to get stupider and stupider.
I have to say the more plot based DP has become, the more the show seems to have become overnanalyzed by people here.

Once there was a time where learning a new move wasn't a big ****ing deal.

Oh, and BREAKS!!!!!

Besides that I'm happy.

-The teams are VERY bland and don't have much development as "friends," like they have in previous seasons.
Hmm, if you ask me the Pokemon are seen alot more often interacting with each other and seem to have more of a family relationship, and not limited to Ash's Pokemon like usually it is.

Korobooshi Kojiro

Funnnngaaaaa
I have to say the more plot based DP has become, the more the show seems to have become overnanalyzed by people here.

Once there was a time where learning a new move wasn't a big ****ing deal.

Oh, and BREAKS!!!!!

Besides that I'm happy.

dman_dustin

Ash losing to gym leaders a bad thing is too harsh. the only one who doesn't have an excuse so let's ignore Pikachu for now.

Ash has Turtwig, Staravia, Buizel, Chimchar, and Gligar with very little experience compared to the rest of some of his Pokemon.

To say that Turtwig, Staravia, Buizel, Chimchar, and Gligar winning the gym battles easy because he has more experience is rather illogical.

Do you think Cynthia would win against someone's Garchomp or some other raised Pokemon with a newly captured Turtwig that only knows Tackle, Razor Leaf, Synthesis, and Bite? I highly doubt it because that Pokemon needs some experience because who knows how weak it is.

So Ash losing to the gym leaders is not Ash's fault, nor the writers, in fact no one nor anything is to blame.

Also Ash catching all uber cute Pokemon who win easily is just a slap to Ash's other Pokemon who had to earn their supper. Having Turtwig, Staravia, Chimchar, Buizel, and Gligar cream their opponents (gym leaders) simply because Ash is an experienced trainer is very bad horrible writing. Remember most of the Pokemon Ash catches probably have very little experience to begin with. Now if Ash lost to a Sinnoh Gym Leader with some of his experienced Pokemon, or experienced Pokemon in general is bad writing but keep in mind the very little experience Ash's sinnoh Pokemon.

Pros:
+Interesting (fillerish) episodes
+Ash's team and their potential
+Good Gym battles, and excellent Gym Leader screen time
+Better Training
+Better game mechanics and more realism to the games than before

Cons:

-Possible evolution potential wasted (meaning there is good evoultion potential but also there is a possibility it'll get wasted)

-Fans complaining

The Phantom Thief

Positives:

Better Character Development (Humans and Pokemon, e.g. Chimchar, Dawn, etc.)

Plot Twists

Appearances of Paul, Hunter J and Team Galactic

Legendaries getting more attention (Dialga, Palkia and the Lake Trio, even though Uxie hasn't appeared yet)

Reappearences of old characters (May and Butch & Cassidy)

Croagunk

Negatives:

Dawn's Rivals, especially Kenny. Sorry but I just cannot stand him. Period.

Brock being neglected

Too much Piplup

Buizel's losing streak

Lack of one-shot coordinators

pokemaster95

King of pirates
Ash losing to gym leaders a bad thing is too harsh. the only one who doesn't have an excuse so let's ignore Pikachu for now.

Ash has Turtwig, Staravia, Buizel, Chimchar, and Gligar with very little experience compared to the rest of some of his Pokemon.

To say that Turtwig, Staravia, Buizel, Chimchar, and Gligar winning the gym battles easy because he has more experience is rather illogical.

Do you think Cynthia would win against someone's Garchomp or some other raised Pokemon with a newly captured Turtwig that only knows Tackle, Razor Leaf, Synthesis, and Bite? I highly doubt it because that Pokemon needs some experience because who knows how weak it is.

So Ash losing to the gym leaders is not Ash's fault, nor the writers, in fact no one nor anything is to blame.

Also Ash catching all uber cute Pokemon who win easily is just a slap to Ash's other Pokemon who had to earn their supper. Having Turtwig, Staravia, Chimchar, Buizel, and Gligar cream their opponents (gym leaders) simply because Ash is an experienced trainer is very bad horrible writing. Remember most of the Pokemon Ash catches probably have very little experience to begin with. Now if Ash lost to a Sinnoh Gym Leader with some of his experienced Pokemon, or experienced Pokemon in general is bad writing but keep in mind the very little experience Ash's sinnoh Pokemon.

Pros:
+Interesting (fillerish) episodes
+Ash's team and their potential
+Good Gym battles, and excellent Gym Leader screen time
+Better Training
+Better game mechanics and more realism to the games than before

Cons:

-Possible evolution potential wasted (meaning there is good evoultion potential but also there is a possibility it'll get wasted)

-Fans complaining

You do realize that every thing that happens to the pokemon anime is the writters fault.Or is it Bidoofs fault I never know.

scissorX

-Weak Teams (If they were weak teams they wouldn't be winning battles would they?
-Brock
-Team Rocket getting stale
-Ash having a losing streak against gym leaders that he is CLEARLY better than. (Losing streak? He only lost once to each gym leader)
-Some cool new pokemon just have a weak cameo (Hippopotas/Hippowdon)

That's only you.

-How are any of the teams weak? Its still incredibly early on, just because you probably started watching when Ash had his BF team - you have to learn he doesn't go uber overnight.
-Brock has most definitely had his best season so far, infact I think I can honestly say Brock has become an enjoyable character. He has the most interesting set of Pokémon out of all the characters and is often a source of comic relief.
-Again I feel TR have been much improved upon. James' involvement with Gardenia, Jessie's contests etc.
-Ash has had some pretty awesome gym battles this season, and him loosing is called character development. Pokémon would be boring if he won every single battle straight away (a-la Johto).
-Not every Pokémon has to be shown at uber levels just because their your personal favourite, remember we still have Bertha as well.

Any more?

Almighty Zard

He has returned.
Ash losing to gym leaders a bad thing is too harsh.

It is when you come off something for the training elite like the battle frontier.

Considering that both times Ash battled Roark Turtwig was able to completely demolish Cranidos/Rampardos the moment Razor Leaf made contact says otherwise, the trainer has to come up with superior strategies to those the gym leaders use to win and Ash did do that, but he doesn't do it enough this time and it feels like his character is regressing back to what it was in kanto than how good he was in hoenn.

I wouldn't go there seeing as how we've seen stranger battles happen over the course of the series.

It is the writers fault, Ash's character is supposed to be going forward and strengthing as a trainer, having him regress by making constant rookie mistakes is bad writing.

Having Turtwig, Staravia, Chimchar, Buizel, and Gligar cream their opponents (gym leaders) simply because Ash is an experienced trainer is very bad horrible writing.

If he uses a reasonable strategy to pull off the win then it's not, it shows he's getting better at what he's doing.

Remember most of the Pokemon Ash catches probably have very little experience to begin with. Now if Ash lost to a Sinnoh Gym Leader with some of his experienced Pokemon, or experienced Pokemon in general is bad writing but keep in mind the very little experience Ash's sinnoh Pokemon.

The thing is you can't pin the blame on the pokemon alone, by now Ash's mindset should be that of an advanced trainer's and no matter what he has he should be able to battle better than he has been doing, cause it's kinda shameful to know he beat trainers that are in everyway superior to gym leaders yet is getting his butt pwned or barely tieing with Gym leaders still, new pokemon or not, he's not using his head like he did in hoenn and if he doesn't shape up it's gonna cost him more as time goes on.

CyberCubed

Yeah, ok!
There is a lot in the D/P series to like, so for dislikes:

- Turtwig still doesn't have a personality. All will be forgiven once it evolves into Grotle, but right now its the worst grass type Ash has ever owned.

- Dawn's rivals are very bland. When you're competing with Richie for the most boring rival, then you KNOW something is wrong.

- Brock still being here, yeah he's better in D/P because of his better Pokemon (Croagunk is incredible and Happiny/Sudowoodo rock too), but the character himself is still pretty much on his last legs.

Other than that I'm pretty content.

pokemaster95

King of pirates
Well neither Turtwig or Staravia had any personality.Turtwig is just like a regular pokemon that just comes out to battle then goes back into the pokeball to rest.Pauls Torterra didn't help much either by crushing some peoples dream for it to evolve all the way.^^^^

Some more Cons
They aren't giving any really cool attacks to the Groups pokemon.
Pikachu kinda is getting a little bit Shafted.He barely battles anyone anymore.

Last edited:

kasmeargy

Better:
Piplup.
Better Pokémon development.
Both Ash and Dawn competing in contests and gyms. (Although I wouldn't know if May did this, too)
Seeing the gym leaders more than just in the episode Ash fights them.
Better Side stories.

Worse:
Hardly any Team Galactic appearances.
Where's Uxie?
Buizel losing a lot.

dman_dustin

Considering that both times Ash battled Roark Turtwig was able to completely demolish Cranidos/Rampardos the moment Razor Leaf made contact says otherwise, the trainer has to come up with superior strategies to those the gym leaders use to win and Ash did do that, but he doesn't do it enough this time and it feels like his character is regressing back to what it was in kanto than how good he was in hoenn.
People do point out Turtwig wasn't the only Pokemon to battle said Pokemon, and that's a horrible example since Grass is stronger than rock type Pokemon. Look at staravia it took out 2 of Maylene's Pokemon that were weak to flying. How about Turtwig vs Maylene's Lucario a few episodes after Ash got Turtwig. Or Roarks Rampardos vs Staravia. At this point (at the time ash was losing so horribly) I don't see how Ash's new Pokemon can beat something that is resistant to its attacks.

I wouldn't go there seeing as how we've seen stranger battles happen over the course of the series.

If he uses a reasonable strategy to pull off the win then it's not, it shows he's getting better at what he's doing.

The thing is you can't pin the blame on the pokemon alone, by now Ash's mindset should be that of an advanced trainer's and no matter what he has he should be able to battle better than he has been doing, cause it's kinda shameful to know he beat trainers that are in everyway superior to gym leaders yet is getting his butt pwned or barely tieing with Gym leaders still, new pokemon or not, he's not using his head like he did in hoenn and if he doesn't shape up it's gonna cost him more as time goes on.

Actually it doesn't matter about strategies in the case of his new Pokemon, but about the experience/stamina of said Pokemon. A strategy only works if the said Pokemon is capable of performing said strategy. Ash could be the smartest trainer in the world, but if his Pokemon are weak (in regards to experience/stamina) then I don't see how any of the Pokemon can pull it off without making it look unrealistic. Turtwig tossing Rampardos is a good example. It would've been more realistic if Turtwig tossed Rampardos near the league as opposed to when it did because Turtwig would have gotten the experience by then to completely tos Rampardos.

Yes I understand the writers can make anything happen, but does it make it realistic if Ash goes through the gym battles easily with new Pokemon? Again it spits in Ash's other Pokemon that actually were trained to be where got to be, if Ash's new Pokemon were given uberness on a silver platter than it makes for bad writing.

And yes I understand that Ash is partially to blame (the writer's portrayal of him) but you also have to think of the opponents. Ash beat Roark the 2nd time after he had time to adjust to Roarks strategy. Coming up with viable strategies in-battle are difficult given that what you might think is a good strategy might just fail (like using razor leaf to block an in coming flamethrower; kind of a bad example but I hope the point was understood).