• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What makes your preferred version your preferred version?

Ryu Taylor

Unwavering beliefs. Richter Taylor is my name now.
We've got reasons to watch what we watch.

No, this isn't a thread asking about why we quit the version we don't like, nor is it for explaining why we watch the show at all. I think those have been covered already.

So whether you watch subbed, raw, or dubbed in any non-Japanese language, why is that? What does your preferred version have that keeps you loyal to it?

I'll go first: the English dub's acting, exclusive music, and non-literally translated writing is what keeps me watching it.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
I watch the Japanese version primarily because I want to keep updated and I love the music scores and voice acting in Japanese. It's as close to the original intent of the authors as possible, especially when it comes to music. I also watch the Dutch version on Pokémon TV for three reasons. First I love the Dutch voice acting, they're really good nowadays. Secondly it's a way for me to watch it legally, as far as I know the Japanese version is not legally available in my country. And finally I understand it a bit better. They use the names I know for the pokémon and the characters, and although they use Dutch attack names instead of English ones I can pretty much always get what they mean. I'm not a huge fan of the musical scores, especially the original SM opening I really prefer in Japanese, that Alola song is just so catchy and energetic.

GarchompTheAssassin

Water starter fan
Subbed - feels more 'authentic', more intense, far superior music (+ closer to the game OST) and voice acting imo, and overall just easier for me to immerse myself into

Not wanting to start anything ugly, but the dubbed (at least post Advanced Battle) just feels...'filtered' in comparison, though it does have some nice OPs here and there (Battle Frontier + Battle Dimension) and some nice voices (Ash's Hawlucha)

VoltTacklingPika

I pretty much watch it raw these days. As it's a kid's show, it's not too difficult for a Japanese learner like me to follow along. Plus, there are plenty of visual cues that clue you in on what's happening.

I prefer the Japanese version because there's an energy to it conveyed by the voice acting and soundtrack that didn't carry over into the dub. Granted, I haven't watched Pokemon's dub in a very long time so for all I know it's a lot better than I remember it being.

On top of that, watching the show in its original format neatly sidesteps any issues with the script and characterization that might occur during the localizing process. I can appreciate a good localization but I figure that if I can understand the original well enough, it isn't entirely necessary.

BulleDeChagrin

Lillie best girl
I watch both. The Japanese one has way better music and I love the voice acting, but there's also something nostalgic about the English version. The English voice actors have also really stepped it up lately, which makes it more enjoyable again. The music is so terrible though, especially when they play relatively goofy music in tense scenes.

The English SM voice cast is great though, especially Kukui, Lusamine, Burnet, Kiawe etc. Also Natochenny is getting way better as Ash and I really enjoy her now. Something about the SM setting really suits her.

Another reason I also watch the dub is because all episodes of the dub are available to watch. But I can't find a lot of Johto/Hoenn/Sinnoh episodes subbed. Also, I watch the dub with my wife and kid, which is fun. The sub is just for me.

mehmeh1

Not thinking twice!
I got into the sub in early xy because the dub was taking too long to air episode 3

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
I watched it raw. I usually had a restricted time to watch the show so I just watch it early and be done with it and I can figure out what's going on thanks for the characters body languages.

Sometimes, I watched sub but not the full episode, only some memorable scenes.

As for the English dub, I barely watch it. It comes out much later, so people who watched raw and sub could already spoiled it to you. And I'm not ajusted to the VAs and soundtracks, because of my lack of exposure.

oshawott7

cat burgler
I watch both.

The Japanese one because I like being up to date, and the English one because well, it's the one I'm most familiar with and will always be more enjoyable for me. And because I really...really dislike the Japanese openings...

MidnightMelody

Hopeful for Gen 8
I watched the dub up until the time Ash caught Gible than went Japanese for a bit. I'm not a fan that the series has no official japanese sub and the fansubs are lazy to me. Pretty much have took a break from the anime since SUMO but I will likely go back and watch via Netflix. From the little SUMO I've seen pretty much all of Ash's group have horrible voices. The best in the series are Ash and Jessie. Not sure if it is the same but the dub only bgm is very weird to me but I will still watch.

Satomine Night

The Power of Z!
I watch the Japanese version. As someone who studied Japanese and as a long-time anime fan, I've learned over the years that, due to the differences between the Japanese and English languages, it's not uncommon for little nuances of the Japanese language to get lost in translation between the original and the English dub. Even if the dubbing/localization team is spectacular, there's little they can do about stuff that just doesn't translate well, or at all, into English.

Also, IMHO, the Japanese voice cast is better. There's a sense of energy and liveliness conveyed by the Japanese voice acting that doesn't carry over into the English dub. Additionally, I like that the Japanese version retains more of the games' soundtrack. The soundtrack is part of the Pokémon experience, and I think it's a shame that the localization team prefers to replace the games' soundtrack with their own soundtrack, rather than use the wide variety of tunes available from the games.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I prefer the raw version of the original anime simply because I enjoy testing my knowledge of Japanese. I'm pretty good at understanding the majority of the dialogue now, which makes watching the series much more fun than if I was watching the English dub.

Victorian Rush

Weather Manipulator
I prefer the Japanese version. I started watching it back in DP around the time that Lyra debuted and immediately found that the Japanese version is just more lively and the voice acting, to me, was just better than the dub. Plus, I prefer the music in the original version to the dub tracks.

I’ll still watch the dub just to see a certain episode but for the most part, I watch the Japanese version religiously.

AshxSatoshi

Ice Aurelia
I prefer the raw version of the original anime simply because I enjoy testing my knowledge of Japanese. I'm pretty good at understanding the majority of the dialogue now, which makes watching the series much more fun than if I was watching the English dub.
Wait if you don’t mind me asking, you aren’t Japanese? I always assumed...

LilligantLewis

Bonnie stan
I watch the English dub but I would hardly say I "prefer" it in some sense.... because I've never watched the original! As for why I've never watched it: I prefer watching things in my own language, and 2) I don't like reading subtitles. Btw, those are actually two separate preferences, but they both happen to combine here on Pokémon to make it a situation where I've always watched just the dub.

cmarston1

Animation Enthusiast
Subbed, as it is easier to listen to than the cheap TPCI dub.

Bguy7

The Dragon Lord
I watch the dub. I won't say the dub is in any way objectively better than the Japanese version, but it does have one major thing going for it. I can actually understand what's being said. I think it is infinitely preferable to watch something in a natural manor, meaning listening to what's being said in stead of reading it. I've tried watching subs for things like Yu-Gi-Oh GX season 4, which wasn't ever dubbed, but I just couldn't enjoy the experience and gave up pretty quickly. What I really don't get is when people say they think the Japanese version has better voice acting, but they don't understand Japanese themselves. What does the voice acting matter if you can't actually understand what's being said?

And honestly, even if the Japanese version does have better voice acting, better music, etc, I strongly feel that the experience lost by having to read subtitles instead of listen to voices far outweigh anything gained by those other factors. Plus, even if it's not the objectively best version, I will defend the dub version as being far from the garbage some make it out to be.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
I watch the dub. I won't say the dub is in any way objectively better than the Japanese version, but it does have one major thing going for it. I can actually understand what's being said. I think it is infinitely preferable to watch something in a natural manor, meaning listening to what's being said in stead of reading it. I've tried watching subs for things like Yu-Gi-Oh GX season 4, which wasn't ever dubbed, but I just couldn't enjoy the experience and gave up pretty quickly. What I really don't get is when people say they think the Japanese version has better voice acting, but they don't understand Japanese themselves. What does the voice acting matter if you can't actually understand what's being said?

And honestly, even if the Japanese version does have better voice acting, better music, etc, I strongly feel that the experience lost by having to read subtitles instead of listen to voices far outweigh anything gained by those other factors. Plus, even if it's not the objectively best version, I will defend the dub version as being far from the garbage some make it out to be.
Pretty much the same for me. The dub isn't perfect, heck it has alot of issues imo, but I feel it's easier to understand what's going on than reading subtitles