• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

what motivates you more?

motivation?

• fear of punishment

Votes: 43 38.7%
  • reward

Votes: 75 67.6%

• Total voters

PrincessAbsol

Fear motivates me more than reward. I work hard because I'm afraid I'll get in trouble. I hate getting in trouble so I work hard. Working hard for a reward is selfish in my opinion.

MarinaS

sinnoh queen
Usually if I have a deadline, i'll get it done a lot faster then when I don't. I also get motivated by any amount of money. lol

Richarizard

conspicuous absence
Generally I'm motivated by the act itself - If it's something I'm not interested in, I will probably struggle to force myself to do it with or without reward/punishment.

But if it's something that needs to be done, then there's probably an aspect of fear motivating me.

Aquanova

Reward. It gives you the feeling you've accomplished something versus punishment which is just the opposite and just makes you feel like you've failed someone.

boggy79

Has to be reward. The sense of accomplishment or self-worth creates a desire or drive for something that far outweighs motivation created by fear alone.

Mew The Gato

Divine Retribution

Conquistador de pan
title say it all,what motivates you more?the fear of punishment or desire for reward?

for me,it's reward.you are going to pay me for mowing the lawn?I'll do it
is way different than:if i don't do *insert thing here*I'll get *insert thing i really like here*taken for *insert amount of time here*.It often makes me break down and feel even more restricted than how tight my time after school feels.

Neither. Morality motivates me. If I feel something should be done, I'll do it regardless of whether I'll be punished or rewarded for it.

flarye

Due to the way I am raised, I'd say punishment since I don't really get rewards nor do I have anything I really want.

AnakBaé

Neither. I'm motivated to do things that I like or I think it's "morally right" just for the sake of doing it.
Ex: I didn't swim from the other side of the river just because there's a pile of money on it. I do it cuz I like swimming.

jovialPhilosopher

Mage of Mind
Reward, most definitely. The chance of failure and the consequences rarely ever even hinder me, much less motivate me.

The pursuit of knowledge is one embellished with obstacles, but you must focus on what you gain, not what you lose. Nothing in life worth getting is easy, but it's worth it.

Neither. I'm motivated to do things that I like or I think it's "morally right" just for the sake of doing it.
Ex: I didn't swim from the other side of the river just because there's a pile of money on it. I do it cuz I like swimming.

imho, maybe it's better if you ask yourself another question.

for example
if your parents told you to do your homework.

then, why would you decide to do your homework?

because your parents will like you more if you do it?
because your parents will like you less if you didn't do it?
because you believe there's benefit in doing the homework?
because you believe that not doing the homework is NOT beneficial to you?
...or do you just enjoy doing homework?

serious question.

-Nator-

Reward for sure. It's not healthy to live in fear. I definitely think on the positive side and think potential, even if it may be virtually impossible at times.

PancakesNSyrup

Completely Delicious
Reward helps me more, but I hardly ever get offered it. It's more of a 'Just do it or *insert punishment here*, which just makes me not want to do it, so it takes longer and is a worse job as a result. The problem is that most of the punishments I'm threatened with just don't scare me, so I don't really feel compelled to try.

Verasi

Reward definitely keeps me going and allows me to stay optimistic, while doing things out of fear of punishment stresses me out.

leafgreen5050

grass type Prince
Definitely fear of punishment , because if you fail to do the task which you are motivated to do by reward , nothing changes, good or bad which is just fine with me , but vice versa for punishment and punishment can be scary >_<

The Master Chief

Punishment: Lol
Reward: Depends. Are we talkin money or items with monetary value
It's the right thing: Lol

If i do something it's cause i ****ing wanted to.

LitWicked

Litwick Rampage
Reward is more important to me as I am more likely to resist a consequence than I am to resist a gratification.

Reward motivates me more because I enjoy setting goals for myself and meeting them. I tend to look at things in more of a reward type manner as well. For example when I have a school or work deadline I see meet the deadline as rewarding because I can relax, or move onto something else as opposed to seeing it as a punishment if I do not meet the deadline. I think it's a good way of looking at things, at least it has worked well for me!