• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What move do you like to use that's hated/overlooked?

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Since there is a thread in existence about Pokémon, I decided to make one on moves.

Anyway, I'm sure there are moves out there that people tend to hate or overlook, so my question is what move do you like to use that others either hate or overlook?

For me it's hyper beam. Yeah, the recharging effect is a huge drawback, but if the move can knock out the opponent, that really pays off.

But as for you, what move do you like to use that's either hated or overlooked?

Probably Fire Blast.

In the past, I don't know about anyone else, I've seen this move get hated just because it's not 100% accurate.
Whenever I use one of these moves, that 15 or or 30 percent chance of missing is one of those risks during a battle that I'm willing to take.

I could say the same thing about other moves like that (example: Thunder, Blizzard and I'm sure there's a few more)

dirkac

I smash your Boxes.
Infestation.

It functions great as a semi-trapper, especially on Cursnoir or Gastrodon.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Probably Fire Blast.

In the past, I don't know about anyone else, I've seen this move get hated just because it's not 100% accurate.
Whenever I use one of these moves, that 15 or or 30 percent chance of missing is one of those risks during a battle that I'm willing to take.

I could say the same thing about other moves like that (example: Thunder, Blizzard and I'm sure there's a few more)

Oh yes, I also used thunder a lot for my Raichu, I remember that. =D

People tend to avoid that move because it has 70% accuracy.

But I really think it's worth using though because of its high power.

Blaze The Movie Fan

Reviewer and PokéFan
Explosion is also a move people tend to avoid using.

But keep in mind that it has the highest base power.

So unless your opponent is a steel, rock or ghost-type, that move is very powerful. Especially if the Pokémon has 100+ base attack stat.

It might have something to do with the fact that majority of Pokémon you usually see using that move are not normal-types and therefore don't get a stab bonus. But stab bonus is not necessary, it's just extra.

Last edited:

Illusione-Tempus

Bite can be very annoying because of the flinch effect,and yet no one seems to take it seriously...><

Lol I just went through Crystal the other day. Jolteon haxed when Thunder Wave kept the enemy paralyzed while Bite kept on flinching. XD

Anyway, I've always loved Aqua Ring. Don't ask why, but ever since I had it on my Milotic, I've always made sure to put it on anyone that can learn it. Although, now that she's gone I tend to not use it anymore as it reminds me of her...

For me it's hyper beam. Yeah, the recharging effect is a huge drawback, but if the move can knock out the opponent, that really pays off.

I feel like Hyper Beam (and its clones) has a pretty bad reputation overall. It's a kamikaze move you use when your Pokemon is about to faint (for example, it's great on Porygon-Z as he can take full advantage of its power), not a move you spam. It's got a bad rep because people spam it and use it when they shouldn't.

At the above user, I really like Aqua Ring too. It's a neat move. I also like Icy Wind (not sure how overlooked that is, though), Draining Kiss, Hex, Grudge, Brine, Venoshock... probably a few more too.

Atomic Rexx

Don't Care
There aren't too many moves that I use in game that I aren't considered good, but I really like the move Metronome. It's really just fun to mess around with.

IrieFuse

Unify To Thrive
flash cannon became a lot more common now that fairies and carbink and amaura exist but i used to love using that move since its existence in generation 4.

also, coil. backed up by klefki's dual screens, serperior can coil up a number of times and destroy the world.

Excitable Boy

is a metaphor
Sacred Fire (which is arguably more of an Entei thing than a move thing, but Sacred Fire is the reason to use Entei over stuff like Arcanine, so). Entei is currently #132 in OU (behind absolute crap like Malamar, Dusclops, Heliolisk, and Ninjask), which is beyond me; having access to a 100 bp STAB move off base 115 Attack isn't terrible in and of itself, but when you add that 50% burn rate, Entei becomes a hell of a lot harder to switch into; many physical walls want nothing less than an accidental Burn to deal with. It's such a great move for just punching holes into random stuff; it's complemented well by Stone Edge/Bulldoze/Espeed, and I've seen enough instances of Entei + Mega Charizard cores dismantling teams with raw force to understand its potential.

Emperor Empoleon

Honor of Kalos
Fury Cutter on Scizor/Mega Scizor, for the boost every turn + Technician.

Mystical Fire, as it can be a major assist against Special attackers.

EDIT: Also, Hone Claws. Mainly because of those "Powerful but Inaccurate" moves.

Last edited:

Tonguetyd

Dragon bomb. It is quite powerful, and feels cool to release a burst of blue energy from a Pokemon's mouth!

Dragon bomb. It is quite powerful, and feels cool to release a burst of blue energy from a Pokemon's mouth!

What in the everloving flip is Dragon Bomb?
Well, must be really good since you mentioned it twice, but what?

Symphony

Seasons, they turn..
I dislike Tail Whip a lot. It kinda is a filler move that you have at the beginning if the game, and is never really used passed level 20..
I wish it was more useful >.>

Breeder Drew

Self-Destruct/Explode. People seem to get offended when I make my islamist extremist Electrode team know nothing but explode.

Platinum fan.

RetiredPokemonMaster
flash cannon became a lot more common now that fairies and carbink and amaura exist but i used to love using that move since its existence in generation 4.

also, coil. backed up by klefki's dual screens, serperior can coil up a number of times and destroy the world.

And here I thought I was one of the few people to ever use Flash Cannon. I don't know why but I also loved using that move. Before Fairies existed, it had little use.

Other moves besides Flash Cannon would be, Fury Cutter, Swift, Body Slam, Aurora Beam (a really outdated move these days) and sleep moves. Sleep moves tend to be overlooked in favor of Thunder Wave or Confuse Ray.