• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What other kinds of settings would you like to see the Pokemon in?

Lluc

Not a Very Well-Known Member
In the main series, we have a mostly happy go lucky world populated by Pokemon Trainers who battle each other with their Pokemon. Then we have the side games, Colosseum and XD which still has Pokemon Trainers but they live in a dystopian crime-filled region with such horrible conditions wild Pokemon are extremely rare.

Then there are the spin-off games. We have Pokemon Mystery Dungeon and PokePark which takes place in worlds populated only with talking Pokemon and no humans with societies they built themselves. We have Pokemon Ranger which takes place in a region where humans and Pokemon live together but no Trainers. Pokemon Rumble gives us toy Pokemon, Pokemon Conquest gives us Pokemon in feudal Japan, and Detective Pikachu puts Pokemon in a mystery setting.

What other kinds of scenarios would you like to see the Pokemon put in besides being as battle pets that happy go lucky trainers use against each other?

edit: I probably should have written the title to 'what scenarios' instead of 'what settings'

Last edited:

Rune Knight

Definitely Egypt or Australia for Gen 9, but I'm going to go with Australia because I would also like to later see something set in Africa as a whole with Jungles, Cities and Savannahs.

I'd also like a cold region such as somewhere in Canada, Greenland, or Iceland. The games could be called "Pokemon North & South" as a nod to the North and South poles.

Maybe Italy as well just to throw that in there.

So my order:

Gen 9 - Australia
Gen 10 - Somewhere cold like Canada/Greenland/Iceland.
Gen 11 - Italy
Gen 12 - Africa

As I believe that the fire starters are indeed based off of the chinese zodiacs, I also believe that gen 12 might be the end cycle for the current iteration of pokemon games, so to end it off, I would want Gen 13 to implore parts of every region as a big endgame.

Aduro

Mt.BtlMaster
I think something like Brazil would be very interesting. Since it has such a wide variety of terrain and the most biodiversity in the world. But it would be cool if you were exploring an unknown part of it, rather than doing an adventure that someone else has already completed in the past.

It would be interesting to see pokemon adapted to a game that's about acquiring and holding onto territory. Like Risk or Civilisation.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Aduro said:
I think something like Brazil would be very interesting. Since it has such a wide variety of terrain and the most biodiversity in the world. But it would be cool if you were exploring an unknown part of it, rather than doing an adventure that someone else has already completed in the past.

Brazil would be a great setting for a future region: the Amazon rainforest could be the inspiration for a Wild Area-like location in the new region, only this time with more to do than just wander around. I like tropical settings, so a region full of jungles and greenery sounds interesting.

Red and Blue

I think California would make a good region. It has a diverse geography with desert areas such as Death Valley and plenty of redwood forests. Plus I would love to see Pokemon cities based on Los Angeles and San Francisco

Soby

Thot Patrol
I'd like to see more desert, so somewhere in the middle east or Australia, or more snow, like the Caucasus, russia or Sweden, Norway etc.. but most importantly, i would like for the next pokémon game to really expand on the adventuring part by introducing a decently sized overworld, and giving the player an incentive to explore and catch pokemon in certain areas. And if we could return to previous regions that would be a bonus.

Monox D. I-Fly

I'd like to see more desert, so somewhere in the middle east or Australia, or more snow, like the Caucasus, russia or Sweden, Norway etc.. but most importantly, i would like for the next pokémon game to really expand on the adventuring part by introducing a decently sized overworld, and giving the player an incentive to explore and catch pokemon in certain areas. And if we could return to previous regions that would be a bonus.
Why not both? The games can be named "Pokemon Hot and Cold".

catzeye

Writer's Block
Australia, Africa (if they don't do the whole continent then Madagascar, Kenya and Egypt would be my choices for specific countries) and Brazil are three locales I would love to see as regions especially with the biodiversity and diversity of landscapes, not to mention mythos. We could get some interesting towns and Pokemon designs (both new and regional variants from those places).

As an American, I would like to see a few more states converted. My top 3 would be California, Alaska, Texas. All three states are fairly recognizable to (like New York and Hawaii) and they each have vastly different cultures and a diverse set of locales.

Other settings I'd like to see is Canada (especially if they don't go with Alaska), Italy, and China

RedBlastoise

Cerulean Blues
I don't have any favorite places that I want to see turned into Pokemon regions but I think that the next region should be the opposite of Galar. So maybe a tropical place but not to the same extent as Alola. Maybe just a warmer region based on Mexico or Brazil?

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
I would like to see an area or route that features more arctic environments. A frozen tundra with a glacier in the distance is something we haven't seen before. Exploring an ice cave within the glacier would even be interesting since you can play with lighting effects. Have streams of water carving the paths through it.

MrJechgo

If anythng, the real question is "what culture would you like to see in future game" ;)
Think about it, nearly every region has mountains, cold terrains, oceans, deserts and urban areas.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
At the top of my list are Australia (where, I'm not sure), Texas, and Southern California/Arizona/Nevada. All three are arid parts of the world with famous and recognizable cultures and flora and fauna.

The climate's more temperate, but I'd also like to see them cover Morocco. Each city has its own rich history and architecture, from the modern dense urban skyscrapers in Casablanca to the sprawling street markets of Marrakesh. That being said, the government does not get along well with its neighbors, and having a Pokémon region based on a part of the Arab World might ruffle some feathers (even if it's the country with the closest ties to western Europe, being literally a stone's throw away from Spain--the distinct pointed arches of Islamic architecture came from Moroccans being influenced by similar pointed arches in Gothic architecture).

OwensJB

Most topographies have been used already in past regions so I don't have any original ideas for what environments the next regions should use. But I think the next region could be based on another major area of the world to keep up the pattern. Mexico is my choice but I could see China or California being choices too.

KingstonUponHulbury

A Medieval Fantasy setting. Like a stereotypical fantasy RPG, but with Pokemon

Yes, so much! There's always been an element of suspension of disbelief with the main series being set in a contemporary society. This modern society is apparently obsessed with... animals? Their capacity for disruption and destruction is tolerated? People continue to use cars? Criminals use trained animals in lieu of weapons? By no means has it ever actually bothered me, but you do kind of have to put the questions away in your back pocket when you sit down to play the game.

In a low-tech society, Pokemon make all the sense in the world. A trained Pokemon team makes conventional weapons look like toys, and the individual with the best Pokemon at their disposal is probably going to enjoy a lot of personal power. You'd ride Pokemon instead of horses; you'd use Pokemon instead of low-tech building equipment. Pokemon would bring status, Pokemon would be used in tournaments, Pokemon would make the society tick. I'd love to see a protagonist challenge the local Barons in competitive battle.

Leonhart

Imagineer
OwensJB said:
Mexico is my choice but I could see China or California being choices too.

I hadn't considered California before, but now I think it would be a great basis for a future region. I've also been thinking that Italy could be another great location to base a Pokemon region on since it's a popular country with a rich culture. Canada is beginning to sound quite appealing as well.

Ophie

Salingerian Phony
I hadn't considered California before, but now I think it would be a great basis for a future region. I've also been thinking that Italy could be another great location to base a Pokemon region on since it's a popular country with a rich culture. Canada is beginning to sound quite appealing as well.

As a Californian, I'll say this: Some time around September 2019, I was at a Carl's Jr. (a hamburger restaurant) standing in line behind a bunch of people with laptops speaking Japanese. Some of them had sketchbooks, and while I could only get a fleeting glimpse, there were monster designs in one of them. I don't know enough Japanese to know what they were saying, but as Game Freak's artists start the concepts of the following generation as soon as the previous one is finished, it made me wonder if they're theming Generation IX on California or at least a part of one. (I very much doubt it was Game Freak people though. Could've been SEGA or Aniplex for all I know.) It's the contiguous state with the highest Japanese-American presence, though I have my doubts about going back to the United States a third time for regional inspiration. It would mean every odd-numbered generation since V debuts in a region themed on a part of the United States.