• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What Pokémon Has Carried Your Team

FloatzieDPPT

playing Version X
An Empoleon carried me during my first playthrough of Platinum, it was level 58 when i beat the Sunyshore gym.

legendarypokemonjunkie17

Back in MY day...
I'm remembering back to when I had no actual concept of battling. The main instance that sticks out to me was when Toys R Us had it's Shaymin event, and at the time I was playing through Platinum. I genuinely think I was no farther than the Hearthome Gym when I received Shaymin, and it essentially carried me in tandem with my Infernape. I still had difficulty with Cyrus and Cynthia, and I know that using a mythical was not the...smartest idea on my end, but Shaymin subsequently became my favorite pokemon up until Gen 6.

Other pokemon that have carried were Feraligatr/Typhlosion (GSC/HGSS), Greninja (XY(and subsequently A-Greninja in SM, although XY was one of the most balanced teams I've had to date because Roserade, Raichu, Starmie, and Pidgeot also did WORK)), Swellow (RSE), Staraptor/Luxray (DP), Arcanine/Magnezone (B2W2, this one was unexpected), A-Ninetales (USUM, a welcomed surprise), and Rillaboom/Toxtricity (SwSh). I guess looking at this I realize that I do tend to prioritize my starter, but those instances where I fall in love with and over-utilize a different pokemon are few and far between, but still fun nonetheless.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Greninja

It helped through my whole playthrough in 3 games. In Omega Ruby my starter was Mudkip and my original plan was to find as a HM Slave later on but after i got Froakie in a trade i let Swampert do the water moves because Greninja is so fast.
I got lucky in many battles in Omega Ruby.

Kinda same reason in X version but there are less HM moves required early so Froakie did fine. Although i did trade for a Fennekin and a Chespin early on through GTS.

Incineroar did most of the work in Ultra Sun with Greninja as a staple secondary that fire can't handle. I got lucky getting a protean greninja in this game.

My moveset is the same in all of them: Mixed Attacker
Surf, Dark Pulse, Ice Beam and Water Shuriken (for pesky sturdy abilities) This moveset can is great on the wild battles in X version version. Exception is Floatzel (swarm of lvl 25 wild pokemon with Aqua Jet outspeeding a lvl 100 pokemon ridiculous) and Lickitung is a 2HKO

Last edited:

FloatzieDPPT

playing Version X
I'm remembering back to when I had no actual concept of battling. The main instance that sticks out to me was when Toys R Us had it's Shaymin event, and at the time I was playing through Platinum. I genuinely think I was no farther than the Hearthome Gym when I received Shaymin, and it essentially carried me in tandem with my Infernape. I still had difficulty with Cyrus and Cynthia, and I know that using a mythical was not the...smartest idea on my end, but Shaymin subsequently became my favorite pokemon up until Gen 6.

Other pokemon that have carried were Feraligatr/Typhlosion (GSC/HGSS), Greninja (XY(and subsequently A-Greninja in SM, although XY was one of the most balanced teams I've had to date because Roserade, Raichu, Starmie, and Pidgeot also did WORK)), Swellow (RSE), Staraptor/Luxray (DP), Arcanine/Magnezone (B2W2, this one was unexpected), A-Ninetales (USUM, a welcomed surprise), and Rillaboom/Toxtricity (SwSh). I guess looking at this I realize that I do tend to prioritize my starter, but those instances where I fall in love with and over-utilize a different pokemon are few and far between, but still fun nonetheless.
Shaymin is pretty cool, i just don't like the sky form.

legendarypokemonjunkie17

Back in MY day...
Shaymin is pretty cool, i just don't like the sky form.
I used the Sky Form once just for the sake of using it, it just wasn't preferred on my end. I remember spamming Seed Flare and Energy Ball on everything, and I definitely acknowledge that I was somewhat of a n00b, for lack of a better word.

I think once I got to X and Y, I tried to pay a bit more attention to balance and to straying away from prioritizing one 'mon. I'm remembering back to Gen's 5 and 6, and Starmie was actually on my B2W2 team, X had Gardevoir and Zard X. Gardevoir was one that absolutely had it's time to shine, and tbh my X and Y team definitely shared the spotlight but each had their moments where they completely dominated. Probably the most balanced team I ever had.

Auraninja

Eh, ragazzo!
In Pokemon Shield, I had a Seismitoad that had average stats at best that tremendously helped me out in the game.

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.

Ahh yes, i got a very lucky shaymin. It was late when i was starting the Rainbow Rocket episode. Shaymin was from a wonder trade and was a massive help against Archie since both my decidueye, chesnaught and not even Cap Pikachu weren't high enough to handle lvl 60+ water types.

However lvl 100 Shaymin's Seed Flare annihilates enemies like Kyogre and Sharpedo.

Last edited:

Teravolt

cilan lives forever in my heart
I have an awful habit of keeping a starter (or two, or three) and/or a legendary (or two, in the case of Zacian and Eternatus) on my team. This may be because both the starters and legendaries have a main role in the games, and I get attached to them. Plus, it’s satisfying to sweep everything.

Ultra Beast Lover

For the first five generations it had been my starters who had carried my team, in B2W2 it was mainly my starter and sometimes Crustle or Swoobat would help, in XY for the first several gyms the special Torchic carried my team then it was either Lucario or Charizard, in SuMo it was the special Greninja though Mimikyu's Disguise really did help when my team would start dropping like flies, then in USUM it was Hawlucha, Zoroark, and Necrozma

Red and Blue

My starters. They are usually the strongest on my teams since they always have the highest levels

KierTronik

Oshawott is bab
In Ultra Moon my Jolteon was over leveled because I got him in a trade as an Eevee. He swept most teams easily.

Madison M

Infernape in Platinum, Noivern in Sword (first time), and Aegislash and Cinderace in Sword (second time)

Leonhart

Imagineer
I typically try to balance out my teams to ensure that every member can hold their own in battle, although in some of the older games I did tend to rely more on my Starters and a few Legendary Pokemon. It was a bad habit that I eventually curbed.

PsychoLogical

Black and White, Yin and Yang, Light and Dark.
Usually the starters as usual, although overtime I started balancing my team so they can do something for once but I always had the starter at the highest. And since I pretty much always use psuedos on my teams, they were also usually frequent in use. Especially the case in Platinum which I plan on doing so again in BDSP.

Nyter

Island Challenger
In terms of Battle I never really had one... but in adventuring... Bibarel as it was the ideal HM slave. And didn't do so bad in battles as well. I still have that Bibarel in one of my game files