• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What Pokemon do you think that the Writers Liked and Disliked?

Mythical-Moonlight

I just ran, I ran all Night and Day ~
Imo it's no secret that the writers have definitely been guilty of some favoritism involving certain Pokemon and they tend to neglect or just don't care for others.

Which Pokemon do you think that the Writers cared for and didn't care for?

Pokemon I think the Writers liked:

Imo I think the ones that appear in the Anime very often are definitely Writers faves

-Obvious Shillmon (Pikachu, Charizard, Greninja, Gengar, Incineroar, Lucario, Piplup, Eevee, Cinderace, etc are all explanatory)

-Sceptile (Ash's Gen 3 Ace)

-Krookodile (One of Ash's rare non-Starter Aces)

-Lycanroc (Another one of Ash's rare non-Starter Aces)

-Psyduck (Practically Misty's mascot mon)

-Togepi (Misty's other mascot mon)

Pokemon I think the Writers Didn't like:

-Torterra (Or at least Ash's Torterra)

-Swampert (Appears the least of the Hoenn Trio. The only one who's Mega wasn't shown in XY)

-Decidueye (Got defeated by it's Base stage in the most insulting way)

-Typholosion (Didn't even debut in its own Generation)

-Ambipom (Ping Pong)

-Unfeazant (Ash's Worst Bird Pokemon by far)

-Noivern (Ash's Worst Dragon Type)

-Goodra (Ash's 2nd Worst Dragon Type)

-Every Single Galar Pokemon except Cinderace (This one is self-explanatory)

Liked: Charizard, Infernape

Disliked: Literally the whole Mudkip line as Mudkip hasn’t appeared in the flesh SINCE ITS OWN GENERATION, Marshtomp didn’t appear from the end of AG to JN041, and Swampert’s mega was the only one of the Hoenn starters who didn’t get a prominent role in the main anime.

Torterra, Kingler, and Squirtle because all were treated like ****

Leonhart

Imagineer
Speaking strictly about the main cast's Pokemon: The writers seem to like any Pokemon that are considered highly marketable, although there was an anomaly with Lucario, which they didn't add to the main cast until recently for whatever reason despite it being a hugely popular species for about 15 years before Satoshi was finally given one.

They don't seem to like bulky or slow Pokemon such as Dodaitose and Cotoise among others.

Litleonid

Speaking strictly about the main cast's Pokemon: The writers seem to like any Pokemon that are considered highly marketable, although there was an anomaly with Lucario, which they didn't add to the main cast until recently for whatever reason despite it being a hugely popular species for about 15 years before Satoshi was finally given one.

They don't seem to like bulky or slow Pokemon such as Dodaitose and Cotoise among others.
With Lucario, its truly an anomaly right now. I mean its always been a Pokemon they liked, and they marketed it as Ash's ace this series and they were trying to build this Lucario/Cinderace bond, but after evolving, Lucario has completely faded into the background. He hasn't done anything at all in 30 episodes probably and very rarely appears, but then again, Ash's whole Journeys team suffers from this.

RafaSceptile

With Lucario, its truly an anomaly right now. I mean its always been a Pokemon they liked, and they marketed it as Ash's ace this series and they were trying to build this Lucario/Cinderace bond, but after evolving, Lucario has completely faded into the background. He hasn't done anything at all in 30 episodes probably and very rarely appears, but then again, Ash's whole Journeys team suffers from this.
This is the result of Journeys' episodic format, but Lucario being part of Ash's team, and basically being part of all previous generations since Gen 3, is a clear sign that writers like him, due to being a very marketable Pokémon.

Zero1999

If anything, the perfect time to give Ash was when DP was still around, it is still a popular species to this day, just that Ash's Lucario hasn't done really much, but again, neither has been of his Pokemon lately, i think the star of the team is Dragonite in my opinion.

Speaking of disliking, i really doubt this, but i'm gonna go for the Eon Duo, unless i'm missing something the only time they ever appeared in an episode was the Sinnoh League and that was just Latios, Latias appeared in a DP special that only Japanese people saw (which i really don't count for this side of the world), never appeared in Hoenn and never played any other role that aren't the ones from Movie 5, i really don't know if any other legendary suffer from this, but then again, these Pokemon never had any story that makes them "legend" apart from Alto Mare so they just have no idea what to do with them?

SerGoldenhandtheJust

Deluded Dreamer
I think not giving screentime isn't really equal to them disliking it, sometimes things don't work out or they have a different focus for which they have to sack a few Pokémon to execute
So even if there are Pokémon the writers dislike, I don't think their opinions stick to their writing like people claim. I mean most of the heavily showcased mons people claim the writers love even though it's more of the fact they are just marketable more and from a business standpoint makes sense to give them more focus

Leonhart

Imagineer
I personally don't mind that Lucario isn't being shilled as much as I once feared it would be, but I do find it strange that they're not taking full advantage of it. Perhaps that will be remedied once BD/SP are released, however.

AznKei

Dawn & Chloe by ddangbi
Anything that's got fire that was a starter or a dragon.

Pikachu, by default.

Disliked? Any instance the Pokemon design would be too hard to animate too often.
Fire is a cool element to wield and manipulate so it's not limited to Pokemon like the main characters from The King Of Fighters series.

Anyways...
Liked? Pikachu
Disliked? Porygon

wobbanut

Team Awesome
I think they definitely didn't like Jessie's Lickitung. It took 34 episodes for it to return after its debut (while Victreebel returned TWICE), it rarely battled, and it rarely showed up until it was finally accidentally traded away. At least we got Wobbuffet, so I definitely can't complain, but Lickitung got the short shrift on everything. Ash's Snorunt/Glalie also got neglected. I just wish they hadn't evolved it.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Fire is a cool element to wield and manipulate so it's not limited to Pokemon like the main characters from The King Of Fighters series.

Anyways...
Liked? Pikachu
Disliked? Porygon
I don't think they dislike Porygon. Their unwillingness to showcase it in the main anime in major roles probably has more to do with them wanting to avoid any potential controversy after the seizure incident rather than them having outright dislike for the species.

Captain Jigglypuff

Leader of Jigglypuff Army
I don’t know where the Porygon line lies in terms of being liked or disliked but the writers are clearly terrified of giving them any appearances outside of the background ever since the seizure incident. I think the kids affected by this would understand that it was an unfortunate and unintentional situation that caused the disaster. Epilepsy wasn’t really talked about much back then and no one fully understood or knew that such strong flashing lights could affect people that way. The kids that were hospitalized as a result of Electric Soldier Porygon are all young adults by now and I don’t think they’d get mad if Porygon and its evolutions get a spotlight episode.

Leonhart

Imagineer
The kids that were hospitalized as a result of Electric Soldier Porygon are all young adults by now and I don’t think they’d get mad if Porygon and its evolutions get a spotlight episode.
I don't think the production staff is necessarily afraid that victims will be offended. I think their biggest motivation for not showcasing Porygon is to avoid bringing the seizure incident to light once again. That whole situation was arguably the biggest stain on the anime's legacy in Japan, and I don't think anyone wants to revisit that ordeal if it can be avoided.