1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

What Pokemon Teams did you have on your Gen 1 playthroughs? Any good memories?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation I & II Discussion' started by shoz999, Nov 8, 2018.

1. shoz999

shoz999 ... Don't laugh.

As the title says. What Pokemon Teams did you have on your Gen 1 playthroughs? Any great memories? Any Pokemon that in particular stood out?

[​IMG]
    Red's Team happily and victoriously coming out of Cerulean Cave...

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  2. Gizmoduck

Gizmoduck Burns eternally hot

It's funny you'd post a picture of Red, because I seem to recall taking direct influence from him in my most fun playthrough of the original games (Red) to trade them over to Silver.

I had a Pikachu, Primeape and a Poliwrath, for sure I recall. And I only used those six, which made the whole experience a bit more... what's the word... memorable.

shoz999 likes this.
  3. shoz999

shoz999 ... Don't laugh.

Thought it was a fitting image since it represents a lot of players happy moments of finally defeating a powerful opponent with their team of Pokemon they captured throughout the entire journey.

4. Ignition

Ignition The face says more than any word can

Ash's original team because I was clearly a creative child

shoz999 likes this.
  5. Yureishi

Yureishi Well-Known Member

I personally played Gen. I after Gen. II but I do still remember what my Team was on Red: Venusaur, Butterfree, Wigglytuff, Lapras, Hitmonchan and Flareon.

The majority of my memories are actually the laughs about the sprites.

shoz999 likes this.
  6. LanceAndMissingNo.

LanceAndMissingNo. Ow! That's tragic!

In Gen I, I make a team with those facts:

>I choose Bulbasaur from starter (almost ever it's Bulbasaur)
    > I catch a wild Pokémon of the first routes (Rattata, Pidgey...) to train him along the adventure. /// Or I do the Trainer Escape Glitch in the Veridian City. Usually, I get Gengar or Slowbro.
    >Before start a battle with Surge, I catch a Dugtrio, Lv 30 barely.
    >I slept Snorlax to catch him.
    >This slot will be reserved for a Legendary Bird, like Articuno or Zapdos. Moltres it's not useful for the League.

Leonhart and shoz999 like this.
  7. GarchompTheAssassin

GarchompTheAssassin Water starter fan

It was terrible lol

Lvl 75+ Pikachu and I think the next strongest was Ivysaur or Machamp (Ricky) and I don't even remember the rest of them (yeah the furthest I actually got in that game was beating Lance and no more)

Leonhart and shoz999 like this.
  8. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

I had most of my teams under-leveled back in Gen I except for my Starters like Lizardon and Kamex in Red and Blue, which always managed to get to Level 100 since I used them the most. I was just bad at balancing my team as a whole.

FullmetalJackie and shoz999 like this.
  9. shoz999

shoz999 ... Don't laugh.

Kamex. Now that's a name I haven't heard in a while... during childhood, in a lot of my playthroughs, Dragonite was always a must-have. I barely remember how things went down in my VC Gen 1 playthrough on my first try. The team consisted of...
    Venusaur
    Alakazam
    Dragonite
    Rhydon
    Electabuzz
    Lapras

And as of now, they've been transferred to USUM and are at a Lv. 100 with full IVs thanks to hyper training.

Venusaur
    Alakazam
    Dragonite
    Rhypherior
    Electivire
    Lapras

10. Erron Black

Erron Black The Outlaw

My gen 1 teams were pretty odd considering what Pokemon are generally popular in this region. Of course, I do use some of the popular bunch though.

Team 1:
    Venusaur
    Sandslash
    Arcanine
    Dewgong
    Dragonite
    Gengar

Team 2:
    Blastoise
    Rapidash
    Marowak
    Arbok
    Rhydon
    Lapras

Team 3:
    Charizard
    Hypno
    Parasect
    Vaporeon
    Aerodactyl
    Clefable

As a bonus, my two Let's Go teams were:

LG 1:
    Eevee
    Venusaur
    Dewgong
    Arbok
    Rapidash
    Rhydon

Then I did a SBQ for my second playthrough and my final 6 members were:
    Vileplume
    Sandslash
    Hypno
    Magneton
    Gengar
    Magmar

I had a Tentacruel and Golem but ended up boxing them since they didn't put in as much work as my other members. Mostly bc the others had 4IVs due to the shiny method and these two were from chains of a differing Pokemon.(Staryu for Tentacruel and Machop for Golem)

shoz999 likes this.
  11. Prof. SALTY

Prof. SALTY The Scruffy Professor

Oh God it was so long ago... I thiiiiink my team was
    Venusaur
    Zapdos
    Articuno
    Moltres
    Lapras
    Machoke

As for memories... getting lost in seafoam after catching Articuno and not being able to read pretty much anything.

shoz999 likes this.
  12. The Teller

The Teller King of Half-Truths

I played Yellow via Virtual Console...early last year? Anyway, the BIG thing that stuck out to me was just how GOOD Mr. Mime was. No Special stat split, psychic being god tier, not evolving meaning it has better stats overall, and it can only be a traded Pokemon, meaning it will always get an EXP bonus = powerhouse of my team. I also naturally used Pikachu, Venusaur, Blastoise, and Charizard, because you're legally obligated to when playing Yellow. I also used Nidoqueen, because Nidoran F can learn Double Kick super early and that's good for going up against Brock when all you have is Pikachu, Butterfree, Pidgey, and Rattata.

13. bme™

bme™ "Could it be... the legend...?"

My first game was Yellow version back in '99, and this was my team when I beat the Elite 4:

Pikachu ~Thunder, Thunderbolt, Lightscreen, Agility
    Nidoking ~Horn Drill, Fissure, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt
    Venusaur ~Razor Leaf, Mega Drain, Cut, Sleep Powder
    Blastoise ~Skull Bash, Strength, Surf, Bubblebeam
    Hypno ~Psychic, Hypnosis, Tri Attack, Meditate
    Pidgeot ~Fly, Swift, Mirror Move, Quick Attack

shoz999 likes this.
  14. RobotsInDisguise

RobotsInDisguise New Member

From what I recall, I used Jolteon, Kabutops, Venusaur, Hitmonlee definitely. I probably used one of the legendary birds, most likely Moltres or Zapdos. I think I used Nidoking or Nidoqueen, probably a Snorlax too. It's been so long, so I can't remember exactly. I definitely used a Lapras at some point, and I know I used a Wigglytuff in Leaf Green / Fire Red.

15. Missingno.Fan

Missingno.Fan Well-Known Member

My original team was Charizard, Snorlax, Hitmonlee, Vaporean, Persian, and Ninetales. I had a Nidoqueen but I traded her to Gold and taught her Dynamic Punch and was unable to trade her back.

shoz999 likes this.
  16. Thakamizu

Thakamizu Wicked Angel Witch

Pokémon Red Team:
    Blastoise
    Arcanine
    Exeggutor
    Machamp
    Gengar
    Dragonite

Greatest memories:
    The abundant confusion I always have had with the not extremely spacious bag;
    The numerous trades with friends;
    Not knowing how to make my Exeggcute evolve into Exeggutor and realizing it after a while;
    Getting stuck in so many parts of the journey.

shoz999 likes this.
  17. Shiny Venusaur

Shiny Venusaur The Prodigal Son

My original team in Pokemon Red was Venusaur, Pidgeot, Gyarados, Arcanine, Jolteon, and Scyther. Young me made a pretty solid team without really any knowledge of the game back in '98.

After playing through the games again, this team is still really fun to use and one of my favorite overall first playthrough teams.

shoz999 likes this.
  18. LusoTrainer

LusoTrainer Retro Trainer

I had to take a look at the sprite sheet to help me remember the very first team with which I finished the game. So if I recall correctly, it was this one:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Yes, there are 7, but unfortunately I can't remember which one did I ditch. I think it was Beedrill, but I can't say for sure.