• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What Pokemon Teams did you have on your Gen 1 playthroughs? Any good memories?

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
As the title says. What Pokemon Teams did you have on your Gen 1 playthroughs? Any great memories? Any Pokemon that in particular stood out?

f281d0c30d5a49782efa0ddbc8f15f0d83948146_hq.jpg

Red's Team happily and victoriously coming out of Cerulean Cave...

Last edited:

Gizmoduck

Burns eternally hot
It's funny you'd post a picture of Red, because I seem to recall taking direct influence from him in my most fun playthrough of the original games (Red) to trade them over to Silver.

I had a Pikachu, Primeape and a Poliwrath, for sure I recall. And I only used those six, which made the whole experience a bit more... what's the word... memorable.

shoz999

It's funny you'd post a picture of Red, because I seem to recall taking direct influence from him in my most fun playthrough of the original games (Red) to trade them over to Silver.

I had a Pikachu, Primeape and a Poliwrath, for sure I recall. And I only used those six, which made the whole experience a bit more... what's the word... memorable.
Thought it was a fitting image since it represents a lot of players happy moments of finally defeating a powerful opponent with their team of Pokemon they captured throughout the entire journey.

Yureishi

I personally played Gen. I after Gen. II but I do still remember what my Team was on Red: Venusaur, Butterfree, Wigglytuff, Lapras, Hitmonchan and Flareon.

The majority of my memories are actually the laughs about the sprites.

LanceAndMissingNo.

Ow! That's tragic!
In Gen I, I make a team with those facts:

>I choose Bulbasaur from starter (almost ever it's Bulbasaur)
> I catch a wild Pokémon of the first routes (Rattata, Pidgey...) to train him along the adventure. /// Or I do the Trainer Escape Glitch in the Veridian City. Usually, I get Gengar or Slowbro.
>Before start a battle with Surge, I catch a Dugtrio, Lv 30 barely.
>I slept Snorlax to catch him.
>This slot will be reserved for a Legendary Bird, like Articuno or Zapdos. Moltres it's not useful for the League.

GarchompTheAssassin

Water starter fan
It was terrible lol

Lvl 75+ Pikachu and I think the next strongest was Ivysaur or Machamp (Ricky) and I don't even remember the rest of them (yeah the furthest I actually got in that game was beating Lance and no more)

Leonhart

Imagineer
I had most of my teams under-leveled back in Gen I except for my Starters like Lizardon and Kamex in Red and Blue, which always managed to get to Level 100 since I used them the most. I was just bad at balancing my team as a whole.

shoz999

I had most of my teams under-leveled back in Gen I except for my Starters like Lizardon and Kamex in Red and Blue, which always managed to get to Level 100 since I used them the most. I was just bad at balancing my team as a whole.
Kamex. Now that's a name I haven't heard in a while... during childhood, in a lot of my playthroughs, Dragonite was always a must-have. I barely remember how things went down in my VC Gen 1 playthrough on my first try. The team consisted of...
Venusaur
Alakazam
Dragonite
Rhydon
Electabuzz
Lapras

And as of now, they've been transferred to USUM and are at a Lv. 100 with full IVs thanks to hyper training.

Venusaur
Alakazam
Dragonite
Rhypherior
Electivire
Lapras

Erron Black

The Outlaw
My gen 1 teams were pretty odd considering what Pokemon are generally popular in this region. Of course, I do use some of the popular bunch though.

Team 1:
Venusaur
Sandslash
Arcanine
Dewgong
Dragonite
Gengar

Team 2:
Blastoise
Rapidash
Marowak
Arbok
Rhydon
Lapras

Team 3:
Charizard
Hypno
Parasect
Vaporeon
Aerodactyl
Clefable

As a bonus, my two Let's Go teams were:

LG 1:
Eevee
Venusaur
Dewgong
Arbok
Rapidash
Rhydon

Then I did a SBQ for my second playthrough and my final 6 members were:
Vileplume
Sandslash
Hypno
Magneton
Gengar
Magmar

I had a Tentacruel and Golem but ended up boxing them since they didn't put in as much work as my other members. Mostly bc the others had 4IVs due to the shiny method and these two were from chains of a differing Pokemon.(Staryu for Tentacruel and Machop for Golem)

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
Oh God it was so long ago... I thiiiiink my team was
Venusaur
Zapdos
Articuno
Moltres
Lapras
Machoke

As for memories... getting lost in seafoam after catching Articuno and not being able to read pretty much anything.

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
I played Yellow via Virtual Console...early last year? Anyway, the BIG thing that stuck out to me was just how GOOD Mr. Mime was. No Special stat split, psychic being god tier, not evolving meaning it has better stats overall, and it can only be a traded Pokemon, meaning it will always get an EXP bonus = powerhouse of my team. I also naturally used Pikachu, Venusaur, Blastoise, and Charizard, because you're legally obligated to when playing Yellow. I also used Nidoqueen, because Nidoran F can learn Double Kick super early and that's good for going up against Brock when all you have is Pikachu, Butterfree, Pidgey, and Rattata.

bme™

"Could it be... the legend...?"
My first game was Yellow version back in '99, and this was my team when I beat the Elite 4:

Pikachu ~Thunder, Thunderbolt, Lightscreen, Agility
Nidoking ~Horn Drill, Fissure, Ice Beam, Thunderbolt
Venusaur ~Razor Leaf, Mega Drain, Cut, Sleep Powder
Blastoise ~Skull Bash, Strength, Surf, Bubblebeam
Hypno ~Psychic, Hypnosis, Tri Attack, Meditate
Pidgeot ~Fly, Swift, Mirror Move, Quick Attack

From what I recall, I used Jolteon, Kabutops, Venusaur, Hitmonlee definitely. I probably used one of the legendary birds, most likely Moltres or Zapdos. I think I used Nidoking or Nidoqueen, probably a Snorlax too. It's been so long, so I can't remember exactly. I definitely used a Lapras at some point, and I know I used a Wigglytuff in Leaf Green / Fire Red.

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
My original team in Pokemon Red was Venusaur, Pidgeot, Gyarados, Arcanine, Jolteon, and Scyther. Young me made a pretty solid team without really any knowledge of the game back in '98.

After playing through the games again, this team is still really fun to use and one of my favorite overall first playthrough teams.

LusoTrainer

Retro Trainer
I had to take a look at the sprite sheet to help me remember the very first team with which I finished the game. So if I recall correctly, it was this one:

Spr_1b_009.png
Spr_1b_015.png
Spr_1b_034.png
Spr_1b_093.png
Spr_1b_136.png
Spr_1b_145.png

Last edited:

BTS_fan

Immortal Queen
I used Charizard, Pidgeot, Gengar, Jolteon, Dewgong, and Primeape in Blue version. I didn't think much of my team back then and I just kinda stuck with Pokemon that I liked.

shoz999

I think a few of you have actually seen this team in action but one of my Gen 1 teams from the VC is...

Charizard
Butterfree
Gloom ---> Bellossom
Snorlax
Eevee ---> Umbreon
Starmie

When I transferred this team to Sun & Moon, I evolved Gloom into Bellossom and Eevee into Umbreon and their fairly annoying and threatening Pokemon team in online, Umbreon especially with Butterfree catching a lot of people offguard to those not familiar with this Pokemon's playstyle. To be honest with Butterfree and a couple of pre-evolutions that I intend to evolve through the transfer, this was one of my harder Gen 1 teams.

shoz999

Saw my Game Boy Color just sitting there and decided to check what team I had on Pokemon Yellow (I remember doing this play through last year).

My team consisted of:

- Pikachu: Thunderbolt, Flash, Body Slam, Seismic Toss
- Nidoqueen: Earthquake, Strength, Body Slam, Thunderbolt
- Farfetch'd: Fly, Cut, Slash, Swords Dance
- Ninetales: Flamethrower, Fire Spin, Swift, Toxic
- Exeggutor: Psychic, Mega Drain, Leech Seed, Mimic
- Golduck: Confusion, Surf, Ice Beam, Dig

I had an.....interesting move pool on all of them haha. I did beat the Elite Four with Golduck being my highest at Level 49.
Quite a diverse team you got there.