• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What Pokemon Teams did you have on your Gen 1 playthroughs? Any good memories?

TwilightBlade

I didn't have enough room in my signature to add my VC Red team, but this is what I used:

• Blastoise
  • Raichu
  • Gengar
  • Vileplume
  • Fearow
  • Magmar

I was going to use Electabuzz in place of Raichu and was about to train one, but then I got lazy and stopped playing Red altogether once the nostalgia wore off.

Snupiks

I played several games for a while, but I don't quite remember which teams I had, except that in one I had a Swampert.

I do remember, however, that few years ago, when I played Red (original, not FireRed) for some time, I choose to have Spearow in my main team instead of Pidgey, or Weedle, instead of Caterpie - I thought it was "refreshing" to prefer Pokemon who aren't so fit for Satoshi.

Kyuu-Tales

織田信長☆FAN
VC lineups:

Pikachu (Normal Playthrough)
Pikachu
Dragonair
Venusaur
Charizard
Blastoise
Nidoking

Green (Manipulation Playthrough)
Venusaur (Starter)
Mew
Zapdos
Clefable (Normally caught)
Nidoqueen (Normally caught)
Blastoise

Blue (Nuzlocke Lite)
Blastoise "Kame"
Dodrio "Dori"
Flareon "Boost"
Vileplume "Zassou"
Sandslash "San"
Jynx (Wild-caught, got lucky) "Hitogata"

Red (Full Nuzlocke, in-progress)
Charmeleon
Raichu
Wigglytuff
Dugtrio
Vaporeon
Dratini

I was actually able to start up my old Blue version cartridge on one of the few working GBCs in my possession. Unfortunately... the team there was in shambles. (Boy, did I give my Pokemon some terrible names...) I surmise I traded a bunch of Pokemon to my Silver version, which I also had on-hand. I was crushed when I saw that the save file was wiped, as is the typical fate of Gen II hard copies' games. :(

I also checked my Japanese Yellow version, which I must've started a new game in because the Pokemon in my party were way underleveled. Dunno when that was.

Last edited:

zolios

Gen 1 happened before my time so to speak so my first and only experience with it was on the 3DS Virtual Console, I got Yellow since I heard it was the most polished version of Gen 1 games and my team was:
- Nidoking
- Venusaur
- Blastoise
- Dodrio
- Ninetales
- Hypno

I really enjoyed this game a lot more than I expected considering how old it is. It was cool having a Nidoking line act as my starter for this game because I didn't want to use a Pikachu that can't evolve so I ditched it as soon as I obtained my Bulbasaur. The MVPs of the team were Nidoking and Dodrio.

Leonhart

Imagineer
zolios said:
Gen 1 happened before my time so to speak so my first and only experience with it was on the 3DS Virtual Console, I got Yellow since I heard it was the most polished version of Gen 1 games and my team was:
- Nidoking
- Venusaur
- Blastoise
- Dodrio
- Ninetales
- Hypno

I really enjoyed this game a lot more than I expected considering how old it is. It was cool having a Nidoking line act as my starter for this game because I didn't want to use a Pikachu that can't evolve so I ditched it as soon as I obtained my Bulbasaur. The MVPs of the team were Nidoking and Dodrio.

I've used a Nidoking before, and I think it's reliable and also cool-looking. I've never used Dodrio before, though. I've always found it to be sort of ghastly and unsightly, so I've never been eager to use one. I'm surprised to hear that it's actually a good Flying-type to use, so maybe I should stop being so averse to it.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I remember in my earliest play through of Pokemon Blue, it comprised of Blastoise, Golduck, Tentacruel, Gyarados, Poliwrath, and Dragonite. Back than, I was a huge, huge fan of water-type Pokemon. Probably my favorite type back than actually and Kanto had a ton of water-type Pokemon early on. Honestly looking back at it, it's kind of weird how Sword & Shield only has two new water-type Pokemon. Kind of liked and hated travelling the seas because of all those tentacruels. I believe my Dragonair evolved around the Seafoam Islands. Honestly, considering how early this team was, can't remember much about it except that I didn't really finish the game after the seventh gym for some reason. I think I quickly did a new playthrough after.

PoDiRancher

My Surfing Pikachu and Game Sharked Mew were definitely memorable. I remember being pretty excited to catch Haunter because he's one of my favorite unevolved Pokemon. As far as entire teams, I mixed it up a lot between playthroughs so I can't really pinpoint a favorite team (aside from my favorite competitive team; Gengar, Zapdos, Tauros, Exeggutor, Starmie, and Alakazam).

pacman000

On a quest to be the best...
I don't remember any exact teams. I do remember that I always went with Charmander, so his line stands out.

On my first playthrough I used Lapras as my main water Pokémon. Taught it surf & rode on it, like you were supposed to. I want to call it a her, but I know genders didn't exist in gen1, save Niddoran & co. I also used the Mr. Mime you could get via trade for awhile, & I bought an Abra from the Game Corner.

The last time I played through I had a Haunter I really liked. And maybe a Beedrill. That was probably my 3rd play through; kept the same saved game for years.

Ishiftyounot

The Meme Supreme
So I just beat Pokemon Red (feel free to check out the Recent Happenings thread for my progress) and my final team was this:

003.png
034.png
065.png
134.png
094.png
145.png

I just wanted a simple and easy to raise team that could clear through original Kanto as quickly as possible because the slow pace of these games is not what I'm used to! These guys did it more than admirably, I was very impressed. Venusaur was solid as a starter, a bit lackluster against the routes but an excellent boss killer especially early on. It made Brock and Misty so much easier to deal with for my fledgling team! Vaporeon was the other team member which was super good, but mainly by virtue of being a Water type? Like if I'd used Gyarados or Blastoise or Lapras it would've had the same strengths but with a few added bonuses, I just felt a bit whelmed using it.

Now Alakazam on the other hand is absolutely disgusting and aside from against other Psychic types it just one-shot or two-shot everything with STAB. It was amazing to use! Gengar felt similar - no STAB but the greater variety in moves and a much more awesome typing was a fantastic boon to it, plus I just love his evil little grin! Nidoking was a weird one - it started off extremely strong thanks to early evolution + strong moves, fell off in the mid-game to the point where I was wishing I'd picked Golem (kind of still do really) but got a much better moveset by the end. It never failed to pull its weight, but it just felt a bit average in the midgame where I'd hoped it would be strong. Zapdos was strong but that was mainly because of level, although Flying + Electric STAB is awesome in Kanto and it was a fun time using a more average Legendary Pokemon on my team!

Notable moments include sweeping Lt. Surge with Alakazam and sweeping Sabrina with Nidoking, and constantly getting Nidoking and Gengar mixed up on my team! That's kind-of it though. If I had to pick an ace it would be Alakazam by a mile, with Gengar a close second and Nidoking maybe in third? Nobody was bad, everyone pulled their weight, but Zapdos wasn't used too much and Venusaur and Vaporeon were just kind of... average.