• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What Pokemon Teams did you have on your Gen 2 playthroughs? Any good memories?

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
As the title says. What Pokemon Teams did you have on your Gen 2 playthroughs? Any great memories? Any Pokemon that in particular stood out?

SIvXqIR.png

Bayleef happily reunited with Croconaw & Quilava long after they were starter Pokemon at Elm's Laboratory.

Last edited:

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
Well, I've only played Crystal, so my final team was Feraligatr, Fearow, Lanturn, Arcanine, Espeon and Nidoking. I remember spending days to make Eevee happy enough to evolve, and I also didn't want him to evolve too early because I wanted him to know Bite.
Feraligatr
@MyStiC Water
-Surf
-Ice Punch
-Slash
-Bite
Fearow
@pink Bow
-Return
-Drill Peck
-Steel Wing
-Fly
Arcanine
@charcoal
-Flamethrower
-Bite
-Dragon Breath
-Extreme Speed
Espeon
@BlackGlasses
-Psychic
-Bite
-Zap Cannon
-Morning Sun
Nidoking
@Soft Sand
-Earthquake
-Double Kick
-Ice Punch
-Fire Punch
Lanturn
@Magnet
-Surf
-Thunderbolt
-Ice Beam
-Thunder Wave

LusoTrainer

Retro Trainer
Coming from Pokémon Red, I always made a point of only using 'new' Pokémon when playing GSC. As in, not using any of the original 151. It's something that stuck to this day. At the time, I didn't know some of the 'new' Pokémon could only be found in Kanto...

This is the team I use the most when I replay the games:

153.png
164.png
166.png

176.png
195.png
197.png

But my very first team, if memory serves, was: Feraligatr, Noctowl, Ledian, Quagsire, Umbreon and Lugia. So, it was basically the same.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I don't remember my original Gold team because the game is just that bad but I do remember having a Typhlosion and Quagsire

Erron Black

The Outlaw
For gen 2 my final teams were...

Team 1:
Meganium
Lanturn
Girafarig
Donphan
Houndoom
Scizor

Team 2:
Typhlosion
Granbull
Steelix
Crobat
Kingdra
Tyranitar

Team 3:
Feraligatr
Jumpluff
Ampharos
Togetic
Umbreon
Piloswine

shoz999

I believe on my first playthrough as a kid, I had Pokemon Crystal. The Pokemon I caught I believe was Feraligatr, Onix, Haunter, Growlithe, Electrode, Scyther, Sudowoodo, Skarmory, a red shiny Golbat, a red shiny Gyarados, Mantine, Donphan, Poliwhirl, Quagsire and Umbreon.

I can't really remember which Pokemon I focused on except for Feraligatr but I recall catching a lot of Pokemon that couldn't evolve yet because I didn't have a trade link cable or that evolutionary stones weren't available at the time. Pokemon Crystal Version was my first Pokemon Main Series game actually so I was probably like six or seven at the time and I thought Steel Type were just the coolest. Funny thing is I never actually beat the game at the time, I was stuck after the 8th Gym Leader having no clue what to do afterwards lol, not realizing there was an entire new region to explore next to Johto. Although Feraligatr was definitely a memorable Pokemon, I can still remember his colorful evolution animation. Scyther was a Pokemon hard to catch only to find out I couldn't evolve it to Scizor lol because of no trade cable. Sudowoodo was a fun surprise and Skarmory was quite unexpected, finding it after the 8th gym. However a really unexpected counter was that I found a red shiny Golbat in Mt. Mortar.

shoz999

I had Gold but I misplaced it along with my Gameboy Advance pretty early on. I didn’t get to far, but I know I had Chikarita as my starter. I found my game again several years later and tried to play it again. I don’t think I’ve ever beaten the Elite Four.
That reminds me of the time on my first playthrough that I not only didn't beat the Elite Four, I had no clue there was another region on the other side of Johto.

shoz999

On one playthrough I remember getting a Typhlosion, Furret, Togetic, Ampharos, Heracross and an Umbreon again.

I don't know about you guys but I always liked how GSC displayed final evolutions as the strongest and most powerful in there images, like you can tell because they are bigger, tougher, faster-looking but also quite bright and colorful too. I kind of missed the 2D Pokemon sprites looking back at it, now the 3D sprites feel too much all the same and don't display that same awesomeness of GSC nor does it of Battle Revolution. Funny story about the Umbreon though, it look me up to around Lv. 70 to evolve it. I thought this was quite odd because I remember evolving it around the Lv. 40s but 70? I thought to myself am I doing something wrong here? This was back when I had absolutely no clue how to evolve Umbreon and just thought he evolved by levels during the dark time. Heracross was a fun one, I recall catching it on the first time I've headbutted a tree, curious what comes out. As for Furret, remember how I said a lot of fully-evolved Pokemon looked bigger, tougher, faster-looking but also bright and colorful. Furret fit this image well if I recall, looked bigger, tougher and faster than Sentret but also vividly colorful through it's simple brown and white coloring. Can't say the same for the 3D Pokemon games unfortunately.

WishIhadaManafi5

To Boldly Go Where No One Has Gone Before.
Staff member
Had a lot of good memories on my Silver version. Loved my Feraligatr, liked it so much that I wanted to have it breed with a Gyarados to get a Magikarp with teeth. (This was before I knew about egg types.) I also got my first shinies in that game, a shiny Pidgey that I raised into a Pidgeot eventually and a shiny Poliwag. Worked hard in that game and had a blast in it.

TheWanderingMist

Paladin of the Snow Queen
Typhlosion lv 99 (would have been my first 100, but my games and GBA disappeared mysteriously one day)
-Flamethrower, Strength, other moves
-Was level 74 the first time it entered the League (yeah, didn't know what I was doing)
-I didn't like Quilava when I was younger, so I kept it as a Cyndaquil until Level 34. Which also helped me easily defeat Whitney's Gym on the first try.

Togetic (Hatchey):
-Fly, Psychic, Metronome
-Had a lot of kids that knew Psychic right off the bat
-Managed to clone this one successfully

Noctowl
-Hypnosis, Nightmare
-Nightmare remains one of my favorite moves to this day, as it was how I took down so many strong opponents

Ho-oH
-Fly, Sacred Fire

I had others but I don't remember them anymore. I really wish I still had my old cartridge.

shoz999

Typhlosion lv 99 (would have been my first 100, but my games and GBA disappeared mysteriously one day)
-Flamethrower, Strength, other moves
-Was level 74 the first time it entered the League (yeah, didn't know what I was doing)
-I didn't like Quilava when I was younger, so I kept it as a Cyndaquil until Level 34. Which also helped me easily defeat Whitney's Gym on the first try.

Togetic (Hatchey):
-Fly, Psychic, Metronome
-Had a lot of kids that knew Psychic right off the bat
-Managed to clone this one successfully

Noctowl
-Hypnosis, Nightmare
-Nightmare remains one of my favorite moves to this day, as it was how I took down so many strong opponents

Ho-oH
-Fly, Sacred Fire

I had others but I don't remember them anymore. I really wish I still had my old cartridge.
I don't know why but I have a strange hunch you overleveled your Typhlosion somehow.

Aquarelle

Staff member
My original Gold team:

157.png
Typhlosion
149.png
Dragonite
142.png
Aerodactyl
243.png
Raikou
245.png
Suicune
249.png
Lugia

This team was very memorable for me. I remember Typhlosion getting me through much of the main game, Dragonite being able to OHKO Red's Snorlax with Hyper Beam, getting Aerodactyl after spending ages catching a Chansey to do the ingame trade for it, and having a LOT of trouble catching the legendaries.

Rahus

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ
157.png
071.png

076.png
080.png

169.png
197.png

Team Crystal Rollout.

Start out by making a new game, choose Cyndaquil, catch Bellsprout, Zubat, and Geodude before even fighting Falkner, catch Slowpoke at the Splowpoke Well (Before Bugsy), then get Eevee from Bill later on (Before Morty). I had help back then with trading so I could get Golem. Otherwise, use Onix.

I love this team because it gives you a valid set of very strong Pokemon with a variant of coverage, HM use, and most importantly, the speed of completion.

This isn't new by any means, but it is my most favorite way to play the game. I actually did a playthrough of Crystal last year and catch a shiny Zubat to add to the team, so I had a pink Crobat. Fun stuff.

MockingJ

Banned
My Silver team was: Typhlosion, Skarmory, Raichu, Scyther, Quagsire and Lugia. I always planned to evolve Scyther but I never met anyone to trade with so I could never get Scizor. :(