• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What Pokemon Teams did you have on your Gen 2 playthroughs? Any good memories?

Paul1985

Ana de Armas fan
Gold: Typhlosion, Quagsire, Arcanine, Ariados, Umbreon and Xatu.

Silver: Meganium, Donphan, Skarmory, Girafarig, Houndoom and Lapras.

Crystal: Feraligatr, Tyranitar, Misdreavus, Magmar, Espeon and Noctowl.

TwilightBlade

Gen 2 is kind of a blur to me because I only played Gold and Crystal and only for less than a year before losing my games. I remember using Meganium, Politoed, Togetic and Ursaring in Gold but I can't remember the rest of my team from then. In Crystal I definitely had a Steelix and a Feraligatr.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Paul1985 said:
Crystal: Feraligatr, Tyranitar, Misdreavus, Magmar, Espeon and Noctowl.

I would've liked to have used a Bangiras (Tyranitar) myself in G/S/C if that evolutionary line hadn't been found so late into the games. Same goes for Muuma (Misdreavus), although my main issue with Muuma in G/S/C were its subpar base stats and lack of an evolutionary form.

zolios

Gen 2 happened so long ago for me so I never played it until it was released for the 3DS Virtual Console. I do remember playing Crystal once on my phone in like 2012 but I never managed to beat Red because my team was to weak and under-leveled. I'm about 90% sure that my team was Feraligatr, Growlithe (never found a Fire stone), Parasect, Sudowoodo, Red Gyarados and Suicune. Very weird team now that I look back at it with 3 Water types and a Parasect for whatever reason, no wonder I never beat Red with this team.

My first "real" experience with Gen 2 was in Pokemon Gold on Virtual Console and my team was:
- Typhlosion
- Noctowl
- Ampharos
- Quagsire
- Tauros
- Jynx

I had so much fun with this playthrough and this was also my first time using Pokemon like Jynx and Ampharos. Jynx really impressed me and she was one of the MVPs of the team alongside the OP Tauros. I also beat Red with this team on my first try despite of my Pokemon's levels being more than 10 levels lower than his Pokemon.

Last edited:

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
Gen 2 happened to long ago for me so I never played it until it was released for the 3DS Virtual Console. I do remember playing Crystal once on my phone in like 2012 but I never managed to beat Red because my team was to weak and under-leveled. I'm about 90% sure that my team was Feraligatr, Growlithe (never found a Fire stone), Parasect, Sudowoodo, Red Gyarados and Suicune. Very weird team now that I look back at it with 3 Water types and a Parasect for whatever reason, no wonder I never beat Red with this team.

My first "real" experience with Gen 2 was in Pokemon Gold on Virtual Console and my team was:
- Typhlosion
- Noctowl
- Ampharos
- Quagsire
- Tauros
- Jynx

I had so much fun with this playthrough and this was also my first time using Pokemon like Jynx and Ampharos. Jynx really impressed me and she was one of the MVPs of the team alongside the OP Tauros. I also beat Red with this team on my first try despite of my Pokemon's levels being more than 10 levels lower than his Pokemon.
Noctowl is a interesting choice.

Leonhart

Imagineer
zolios said:
- Typhlosion
- Noctowl
- Ampharos
- Quagsire
- Tauros
- Jynx

I'm surprised to see Kentauros (Tauros) there. I've never used one since I had a personal policy of avoiding Normal-types that don't evolve in Gen II. But your usage of Rougela (Jynx) is interesting. I didn't think that many people liked the species but it's one of my favorite Ice-types design-wise, although I've only used one in Blue version.

zolios

Noctowl is a interesting choice.

I always liked Noctowl (one of my favorite regional birds) and Hoothoot is very cute so I had to use them in the generation they originated from. I did use them before in remakes of Gen 2 and in some fan games as well so it felt right to finally use them in OG Gen 2. To be honest Noctowl was the weakest member of my team but she wasn't useless since she had good Sp. Def. and access to useful moves like Hypnosis and Fly. :)

I'm surprised to see Kentauros (Tauros) there. I've never used one since I had a personal policy of avoiding Normal-types that don't evolve in Gen II. But your usage of Rougela (Jynx) is interesting. I didn't think that many people liked the species but it's one of my favorite Ice-types design-wise, although I've only used one in Blue version.

I remember that Tauros was my favorite Pokemon when I was very young and only watched the anime not even knowing that Pokemon games existed. I liked it because of how cool and powerful it was but I only managed to use it once a long time ago in FRLG so I decided to finally use one again in this playthrough. It was by far the strongest Pokemon on my team and I wouldn't be able to beat Red without Tauros since it was the only Pokemon on my team that could defeat Red's Snorlax. And Jynx was very strong as well and I definitely like it a lot more after using one in this playthrough. It is definitely one of my favorite Ice types now. :)

Last edited:

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
A team I had from the VC release was Feraligatr, Quagsire, Jumpluff, Magcargo, and Misdreavus. It was mostly because of their hidden abilities that I wanted to have fun with upon transfer. Feraligatr's Sheer Force was fun, Magcargo's Weak Armor & Shell Smash took players by surprise, Jumpluff was fun with it's access to sleep power and swords dance, and Quagsire is a bulky boy. Playthrough-wise however, I'll admit this wasn't one of my most fun playthrough having two water-types early on, a frail grass-type that requires setup, and the other Pokemon are locked to post-game. I had a Girafarig for this team but didn't caught that from VC, but from a different game due to it's hidden ability not being that appealing. Another thing, you know how some of you know how I complain how my Mismagius is banned online because of an error in the legality checker, not recognizing a Pokemon cross-evolving from the Gen 2 VC games? That Misdreavus I mentioned is that Mismagius later on.

Ubermuk

Sticky & Sweet
A team I had from the VC release was Feraligatr, Quagsire, Jumpluff, Magcargo, and Misdreavus. It was mostly because of their hidden abilities that I wanted to have fun with upon transfer. Feraligatr's Sheer Force was fun, Magcargo's Weak Armor & Shell Smash took players by surprise, Jumpluff was fun with it's access to sleep power and swords dance, and Quagsire is a bulky boy. Playthrough-wise however, I'll admit this wasn't one of my most fun playthrough having two water-types early on, a frail grass-type that requires setup, and the other Pokemon are locked to post-game. I had a Girafarig for this team but didn't caught that from VC, but from a different game due to it's hidden ability not being that appealing. Another thing, you know how some of you know how I complain how my Mismagius is banned online because of an error in the legality checker, not recognizing a Pokemon cross-evolving from the Gen 2 VC games? That Misdreavus I mentioned is that Mismagius later on.

I was gonna ask why you had a Quagsire and a Feraligatr at the same time but then I remembered that I once used Feraligatr and Politoed on the same team so I'm no better lol.