1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

What Pokemon Teams did you have on your Gen 3 playthroughs? Any good memories?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation III Discussion' started by shoz999, Nov 9, 2018.

1. shoz999

shoz999 Do you wanna try a good Tapu Cocoa? My treat.

So my second-favorite typing was water and as a kid, I noticed that water-types were just abundant so I made a team full of water-type Pokemon which consisted of...

Swampert
    Pelipper
    Wailord
    Wishcash
    Sharpedo
    Walrein

Wailord in particular was a big surprise however I didn't always had Walrein. Originally it was Clamperl because I found out it could evolve into Huntail which was a Pokemon I kind of wanted only to realize you needed to do a trade evolution which I just released. Most of these Pokemon were based on previous playthroughs though where I saw other trainers, namely Wallace, have these Pokemon with unique typings. I wanted Wishcash because of it's water/ground typing and Sharpedo because it was a Shark and Walrein because it was a Walrus. Back than, I really didn't think too much of the competitive aspect and to be honest, competitive Pokemon wasn't really big back than. I think it arrived by Gen 4 thanks to the online service but oh man, when I used this team in the Battle Tower, this being Pokemon Ruby not Emerald, I'm constantly having a blast remembering that grass-types or electric-types will destroy my team so quickly.

2. D*N

D*N Musical Star

I was such a kid when this came out so my team was basically:
    Blaziken
    Swellow
    Pelliper
    Gardevoir

I think that was kind of it, I don't even remember which other two I used. Maybe a HM slave?

RedBlastoise and shoz999 like this.
  3. Dicklaycia

Dicklaycia Objectively Better Than You

I have replayed Sapphire, LeafGreen, and Emerald recently. My teams were as follows:

Sapphire: Blaziken, Linoone, Beautifly, Gardevoir, Flygon, and Milotic.

MVP: Milotic
    Biggest Flop: Beautifly

LeafGreen: Blastoise, Victreebel, Ninetales, Dodrio, Hitmonchan, and Magneton.

MVP: Magneton
    Biggest Flop: Hitmonchan

Emerald: Sceptile, Delcatty, Hariyama, Sableye, Skarmory, and Walrein.

MVP: Hariyama
    Biggest Flop: Delcatty

jaden767 and shoz999 like this.
  4. Xionea

Xionea Half a centaur

Oh, I got hit with the nostalgia seeing this thread! Ruby was one of my first games as a kid and my introduction to the Pokemon games, so I'm gonna recall my very first team (and other first playthrough Gen 3 games)

There's 4 very distinct Pokemon I remember using for my main team (note: I still have these 4 with me! I've been transferring them up the ladder cause they have a lot of sentimental value to me). I don't think I used a full team of 6, as the other 2 were for HMs.
    1. Blaziken. My first starter ever. I love Blaziken, it was "my" Pokemon for a long time. I remember running through the E4 over and over again to get it to lvl 100. Even did a solo run of the E4 with it! He was also my ticket for beating Sidney, Glacia, and Steven.
    2. Banette. I loved the idea of a haunted doll as a Pokemon, and as a kid I needed a counter for Phoebe. The second Pokemon I ever got to lvl 100.
    3. Glalie. My counter for Drake. Also loved the design so I had to put it on my team. The 3rd Pokemon I got to lvl 100.
    4. Crobat. More-so the Fly user on my team, but the speed of Crobat was cool. Plus Crobat is cool in general. All my Pokemon in all these years have mainly been chosen by looks, not stats lol. I remember using PP Max on Wing Attack so it had like a ridiculous 64pp on it or something like that. The 4th Pokemon I got to lvl 100.

At this point I just had some throwaways for HMs.
    1. Zigzagoon/Linoone. Pretty common for most people I think, it just really works.
    2. Tropius. Primary Flyer. Eventually replaced with Crobat.
    3. Groudon. I remember putting Cut and Rock Smash on it. Don't ask me why lol.
    4. Nuzleaf. I very clearly remember a very low level Nuzleaf beating Flannery for me and hogging all the Torkoal exp. I have no idea how a low level Grass type beat a Fire type gym, but it stuck in my memory, so Nuzleaf gets the honorary mention.

Leafgreen was my other "main" gen 3 game. I had Sapphire, Emerald, and Firered, but they were my resetters, AKA keep all the cool stuff on my main game and play through the other version when I wanted to play Pokemon... which was a lot.

My Leafgreen first playthrough wasn't nearly as cool now that I think about it, I did the dumb kid thing where I basically only used my starter throughout the entire game.
    1. Charizard. Beefy boy could Flamethrower, Wing Attack, and Slash everything in sight, so he would just powerhouse me through the game. The only problem was Lorelei once I reached the Elite 4. Charizard wasn't cut out for that, so I had to grab an alternative.
    2. Zapdos. Luckily we got a powerful Electric type Legendary in our hands. I remember having to teach it Shock Wave through TM cause it doesn't have any Electric attacking moves when you catch it.

Those are the only 2 I distinctly remember using in my first playthrough. Leafgreen is fuzzier than Ruby for some reason. I couldn't even tell you what I used for HMs back then.

Aaaaand since Colosseum and Gale of Darkness are Gen 3 games, I'll mention those too.

Colosseum was a really, really hard game as a kid. I remember struggling through it so much, especially near end game. I think a lot of that was due to my team choice lol.
    1. Umbreon. Pretty natural choice since you start with it, however I scrapped Espeon and left it in the dust since Umbreon was my favorite choice. I did not know that Umbreon is primarily a defensive Pokemon back then and Espeon was the attacker. Probably explains why I had a hard time lol.
    2. Entei. Fire type legendary powerhouse in the early game? Heck yeah I'm using that on my team! Entei became my main attacker throughout the game. I remember a friend telling me to grab Croconaw and Quagsire and purify them because you "absolutely needed to" for Entei. Those two stayed on my team throughout most my playthrough, but never got any levels beyond Entei's fight.
    .... Yup, that was it. Everything else was usually just whatever Shadow Pokemon I recently got. Did I mention the game was hard for me as a kid?

XD Gale of Darkness was just as bad in terms of the team I used, but the game was easier in general.
    1. Umbreon. Yeeeah, I chose Umbreon for my Eevee instead of literally anything else that would have helped more or been a little more unique than the Colosseum options. Oh well, I still love Umbreon.
    2. Houndoom. Early game Houndour catch, he kinda became my "in spirit" Entei. I guess I just wanted to recreate my Colosseum team, idk what I was thinking lol. Houndoom is cool though, so I can't blame my younger self (Also the double Dark Pokemon team? Well, it worked out pretty well from what I remember).
    .... Why use a full team of 6 when you can just use two for the double battles??? *nervous laughter*

jaden767, TwilightBlade and shoz999 like this.
  5. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

I started with Gen 3, so my team was my starter, legendary Pokemon and HM slaves. By Platinum I started having a proper team. Currently in LG I'm preparing for the Elite 4 and have made liberal use of the un-nerfed Pickup ability, mainly to help complete the dex as far as I can before the Elite 4 and collect a lot of sellable stuff. My team is Blastoise, Raichu, Zynx the Jynx, Dragonite, Hitmonlee and Ninetales

TwilightBlade and shoz999 like this.
  6. TwilightBlade

TwilightBlade Well-Known Member

This was my main team when I played Ruby:

• Swampert
    • Medicham
    • Shiftry
    • Aggron
    • Altaria
    • Flygon
    I had used Roselia as my grass-type when I first played the game, but I settled on Shiftry after completing the main story-line because Roselia was too weak. I also wanted to replace Altaria with Swellow but never got around to it.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
  7. Emboar_Rulez

Emboar_Rulez Pokémon Master (Kinda)

My team’s were

Blaziken. Swampert Sceptile

Salamance. Flygon. Swellow

Azumarill. Aggron. Gardevoir

Froslass. Manectric. Manectric

Breloom. Breloom Crawdaunt

Manectric. Torkoal. Camerupt

shoz999 likes this.
  8. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I've never used a Sirnight (Gardevoir) in the Gen III games, but I've always been tempted to try using one in Emerald version if I restart it. Is it a reliable and balanced choice compared to the other Gen III Psychic-types?

9. Emboar_Rulez

Emboar_Rulez Pokémon Master (Kinda)

It is really good and i find it to be perfectly balanced as all things should be.Also it has good move pool too.

shoz999 likes this.
  10. Paul1985

Paul1985 Ana de Armas fan

Ruby: Swampert, Shifry, Torkoal, Aggron, Hariyama and Altaria.

Sapphire: Blaziken, Ludicolo, Grumpig, Dusclops, Mightyena and Salamance.

Emerald: Sceptile, Gardevoir, Flygon, Manectric, Sableye and Camerupt.

FireRed: Venusaur, Arcanine, Machamp, Vaporeon, Alakazam and Dragonite.

LeafGreen: Charizard, Victreebel, Gengar, Golem, Kingler and Pidgeot.

11. charmanderandswampertguy

charmanderandswampertguy Thunder Trainer

Ruby
    Swampert
    Linoone
    Swallow
    Camerupt
    Groundon
    Machamp

Sapphire
    Sceptile
    Salamance
    Azumarill
    Torkoal
    Donphan
    Kyogre

For the gen 1 remakes Fire red was my main game.

Fire red
    Venusaur
    Arcanine
    Poliwhirl
    Jolteon
    Xatu
    Scizor

Leaf green
    Charizard
    Pikachu
    Snorlax
    Slowbro
    Espeon
    Donphan

Emerald
    Swampert
    Arcanine
    Raichu
    Grumpig
    Noctowl
    Shiftry

12. RedBlastoise

RedBlastoise Cerulean Blues

In Ruby I had a team with Blaziken, Swellow, Manectric, Salamence, Banette and Crawdaunt. Not very good or special but since I was really young at the time I was still proud of that team.

TwilightBlade, shoz999 and Ignition like this.
  13. zolios

zolios Member

I played through my Sapphire a few times back in the day and I don't really remember all of the Pokemon I used on my team(s). I know I almost always picked Sceptile as my starter and I also think I used Flygon and a Dustox but I don't remember anything else. However I can tell you about my most memorable Sapphire team (from many years ago) because I still have that team since I kept transferring it to every new generation. I never owned/played Emerald so this will be the only Hoenn team I can tell you about.

My Sapphire Team:
    - Blaziken
    - Crobat
    - Aggron
    - Claydol
    - Cacturne
    - Wailord

I remember that this was the playthrough where for the first time ever I wanted to only use the Pokemon I never used before and that's what I did. I ended up really enjoying this team and that's why I decided to try transferring my team to the newer gens for the first time ever because I wanted to keep this team instead of deleting it forever when I restart the game like I always did in the past. The MVPs were Blaziken and Wailord if I remember correctly because they were the most useful in the Elite 4 and Champion battles. Funny thing is that I never used any of these species of Pokemon again (not even in the remakes) despite enjoying using them so much during this playthrough but at least I still have the entire OG team with me on my Ultra Sun save and I still use them from time to time for the post-game stuff like shiny hunting and switch training my other Pokemon.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2020
    shoz999, jaden767 and Leonhart like this.
  14. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

I've used all of those Pokemon at some point in R/S/E, except for Nendoll (Claydol). I rarely use Psychic-types to begin with, but Nendoll in particular is one of those Pokemon that I personally thought looked awful and it had bad Attack and Special Attack stats since it's meant to be a defensive Pokemon, which I hardly use. I also remember thinking that it looked a lot like Shakkoumon from the Digimon franchise.

shoz999 and zolios like this.
  15. jaden767

jaden767 Red Trainer

I used Gardevoir, Linoone, Manectric, Camerupt, Azumarill and Skarmory in Emerald and Blaziken, Crawdaunt, Whiscash, Hariyama, Tropius and Dusclops in Sapphire.

I have no idea why I was stupid enough to use two water-types in Sapphire but I really liked both Whiscash and Crawdaunt.

Leonhart, shoz999 and zolios like this.
  16. NeganTheSavior

NeganTheSavior Well-Known Member

For Sapphire, my team was Blaziken, Magneton, Regice, Rayquaza, Kyogre and Garvevoir. This was before I established my "I don't use legendaries in playthroughs" policy. I just remember beating the Elite Four multiple times.

Don't remember what my Fire Red team was, but I chose Bulbasaur.

Leonhart and shoz999 like this.
  17. Leonhart

Leonhart Imagineer

In all honesty, I don't think there's anything wrong with using two Pokemon of the same type. I don't normally do that myself these days since there's a much wider variety of Pokemon in the newer games so type overlap isn't a big problem, but I used two Water-types on my Ruby team at one point, then two Flying-types. I just went with what I liked.

shoz999 likes this.
  18. WalesNote

WalesNote Well-Known Member

The last one that I remember in Emerald:

Sceptile, Mightyena, Aggron, Camerupt, Raichu and Walrein.

They were a lovely bunch. Sceptile was good at everything, Mightyena is still my very favourite beastie of all, Aggron my powerful monster thing, Camerupt my backup guy, Raichu my shocker lady, and Walrein my destroyer.

Other pokémon used in previous playthroughs: Gardevoir, Ludicolo, Lunatone, Wailord, Rhydon, Tropius, Glalie.

Leonhart and shoz999 like this.
  19. Trillion

Trillion Active Member

swampert
    sceptile
    raichu
    magneton
    shiftry
    electrode
    vileplume
    bellossom
    azumarill
    minun

i started with gen 3 so this is what my earliest ever teams consisted of

however, these aren't all the pokemon i had. these are just the ones i remember.

and i don't remember which ones were on my ruby team and which ones were on my emerald team so i just grouped them all together

i just remember that electrode and magneton were on the same team, raichu and azumarill were on the same team, and bellossom and vileplume were on the same team

as for fire red, all i remember is venusaur and dugtrio

Last edited: Jan 24, 2020
    shoz999, TwilightBlade and Leonhart like this.