• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What Pokemon Teams did you have on your Gen 3 playthroughs? Any good memories?

D*N

Musical Star
I was such a kid when this came out so my team was basically:
Blaziken
Swellow
Pelliper
Gardevoir

I think that was kind of it, I don't even remember which other two I used. Maybe a HM slave?

Dicklaycia

Objectively Better Than You
I have replayed Sapphire, LeafGreen, and Emerald recently. My teams were as follows:

Sapphire: Blaziken, Linoone, Beautifly, Gardevoir, Flygon, and Milotic.

MVP: Milotic
Biggest Flop: Beautifly

LeafGreen: Blastoise, Victreebel, Ninetales, Dodrio, Hitmonchan, and Magneton.

MVP: Magneton
Biggest Flop: Hitmonchan

Emerald: Sceptile, Delcatty, Hariyama, Sableye, Skarmory, and Walrein.

MVP: Hariyama
Biggest Flop: Delcatty

Xionea

Half a centaur
Oh, I got hit with the nostalgia seeing this thread! Ruby was one of my first games as a kid and my introduction to the Pokemon games, so I'm gonna recall my very first team (and other first playthrough Gen 3 games)

There's 4 very distinct Pokemon I remember using for my main team (note: I still have these 4 with me! I've been transferring them up the ladder cause they have a lot of sentimental value to me). I don't think I used a full team of 6, as the other 2 were for HMs.
1. Blaziken. My first starter ever. I love Blaziken, it was "my" Pokemon for a long time. I remember running through the E4 over and over again to get it to lvl 100. Even did a solo run of the E4 with it! He was also my ticket for beating Sidney, Glacia, and Steven.
2. Banette. I loved the idea of a haunted doll as a Pokemon, and as a kid I needed a counter for Phoebe. The second Pokemon I ever got to lvl 100.
3. Glalie. My counter for Drake. Also loved the design so I had to put it on my team. The 3rd Pokemon I got to lvl 100.
4. Crobat. More-so the Fly user on my team, but the speed of Crobat was cool. Plus Crobat is cool in general. All my Pokemon in all these years have mainly been chosen by looks, not stats lol. I remember using PP Max on Wing Attack so it had like a ridiculous 64pp on it or something like that. The 4th Pokemon I got to lvl 100.

At this point I just had some throwaways for HMs.
1. Zigzagoon/Linoone. Pretty common for most people I think, it just really works.
2. Tropius. Primary Flyer. Eventually replaced with Crobat.
3. Groudon. I remember putting Cut and Rock Smash on it. Don't ask me why lol.
4. Nuzleaf. I very clearly remember a very low level Nuzleaf beating Flannery for me and hogging all the Torkoal exp. I have no idea how a low level Grass type beat a Fire type gym, but it stuck in my memory, so Nuzleaf gets the honorary mention.

Leafgreen was my other "main" gen 3 game. I had Sapphire, Emerald, and Firered, but they were my resetters, AKA keep all the cool stuff on my main game and play through the other version when I wanted to play Pokemon... which was a lot.

My Leafgreen first playthrough wasn't nearly as cool now that I think about it, I did the dumb kid thing where I basically only used my starter throughout the entire game.
1. Charizard. Beefy boy could Flamethrower, Wing Attack, and Slash everything in sight, so he would just powerhouse me through the game. The only problem was Lorelei once I reached the Elite 4. Charizard wasn't cut out for that, so I had to grab an alternative.
2. Zapdos. Luckily we got a powerful Electric type Legendary in our hands. I remember having to teach it Shock Wave through TM cause it doesn't have any Electric attacking moves when you catch it.

Those are the only 2 I distinctly remember using in my first playthrough. Leafgreen is fuzzier than Ruby for some reason. I couldn't even tell you what I used for HMs back then.

Aaaaand since Colosseum and Gale of Darkness are Gen 3 games, I'll mention those too.

Colosseum was a really, really hard game as a kid. I remember struggling through it so much, especially near end game. I think a lot of that was due to my team choice lol.
1. Umbreon. Pretty natural choice since you start with it, however I scrapped Espeon and left it in the dust since Umbreon was my favorite choice. I did not know that Umbreon is primarily a defensive Pokemon back then and Espeon was the attacker. Probably explains why I had a hard time lol.
2. Entei. Fire type legendary powerhouse in the early game? Heck yeah I'm using that on my team! Entei became my main attacker throughout the game. I remember a friend telling me to grab Croconaw and Quagsire and purify them because you "absolutely needed to" for Entei. Those two stayed on my team throughout most my playthrough, but never got any levels beyond Entei's fight.
.... Yup, that was it. Everything else was usually just whatever Shadow Pokemon I recently got. Did I mention the game was hard for me as a kid?

XD Gale of Darkness was just as bad in terms of the team I used, but the game was easier in general.
1. Umbreon. Yeeeah, I chose Umbreon for my Eevee instead of literally anything else that would have helped more or been a little more unique than the Colosseum options. Oh well, I still love Umbreon.
2. Houndoom. Early game Houndour catch, he kinda became my "in spirit" Entei. I guess I just wanted to recreate my Colosseum team, idk what I was thinking lol. Houndoom is cool though, so I can't blame my younger self (Also the double Dark Pokemon team? Well, it worked out pretty well from what I remember).
.... Why use a full team of 6 when you can just use two for the double battles??? *nervous laughter*

RedJirachi

Veteran member
I started with Gen 3, so my team was my starter, legendary Pokemon and HM slaves. By Platinum I started having a proper team. Currently in LG I'm preparing for the Elite 4 and have made liberal use of the un-nerfed Pickup ability, mainly to help complete the dex as far as I can before the Elite 4 and collect a lot of sellable stuff. My team is Blastoise, Raichu, Zynx the Jynx, Dragonite, Hitmonlee and Ninetales

TwilightBlade

This was my main team when I played Ruby:

• Swampert
  • Medicham
  • Shiftry
  • Aggron
  • Altaria
  • Flygon
I had used Roselia as my grass-type when I first played the game, but I settled on Shiftry after completing the main story-line because Roselia was too weak. I also wanted to replace Altaria with Swellow but never got around to it.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
D*N said:
I was such a kid when this came out so my team was basically:
Blaziken
Swellow
Pelliper
Gardevoir

I think that was kind of it, I don't even remember which other two I used. Maybe a HM slave?

I've never used a Sirnight (Gardevoir) in the Gen III games, but I've always been tempted to try using one in Emerald version if I restart it. Is it a reliable and balanced choice compared to the other Gen III Psychic-types?

Paul1985

Ana de Armas fan
Ruby: Swampert, Shifry, Torkoal, Aggron, Hariyama and Altaria.

Sapphire: Blaziken, Ludicolo, Grumpig, Dusclops, Mightyena and Salamance.

Emerald: Sceptile, Gardevoir, Flygon, Manectric, Sableye and Camerupt.

FireRed: Venusaur, Arcanine, Machamp, Vaporeon, Alakazam and Dragonite.

LeafGreen: Charizard, Victreebel, Gengar, Golem, Kingler and Pidgeot.

zolios

I played through my Sapphire a few times back in the day and I don't really remember all of the Pokemon I used on my team(s). I know I almost always picked Sceptile as my starter and I also think I used Flygon and a Dustox but I don't remember anything else. However I can tell you about my most memorable Sapphire team (from many years ago) because I still have that team since I kept transferring it to every new generation. I never owned/played Emerald so this will be the only Hoenn team I can tell you about.

My Sapphire Team:
- Blaziken
- Crobat
- Aggron
- Claydol
- Cacturne
- Wailord

I remember that this was the playthrough where for the first time ever I wanted to only use the Pokemon I never used before and that's what I did. I ended up really enjoying this team and that's why I decided to try transferring my team to the newer gens for the first time ever because I wanted to keep this team instead of deleting it forever when I restart the game like I always did in the past. The MVPs were Blaziken and Wailord if I remember correctly because they were the most useful in the Elite 4 and Champion battles. Funny thing is that I never used any of these species of Pokemon again (not even in the remakes) despite enjoying using them so much during this playthrough but at least I still have the entire OG team with me on my Ultra Sun save and I still use them from time to time for the post-game stuff like shiny hunting and switch training my other Pokemon.

Last edited:

Leonhart

Imagineer
zolios said:
My Sapphire Team:
- Blaziken
- Crobat
- Aggron
- Claydol
- Cacturne
- Wailord.

I've used all of those Pokemon at some point in R/S/E, except for Nendoll (Claydol). I rarely use Psychic-types to begin with, but Nendoll in particular is one of those Pokemon that I personally thought looked awful and it had bad Attack and Special Attack stats since it's meant to be a defensive Pokemon, which I hardly use. I also remember thinking that it looked a lot like Shakkoumon from the Digimon franchise.

jaden767

Amphetamine
I used Gardevoir, Linoone, Manectric, Camerupt, Azumarill and Skarmory in Emerald and Blaziken, Crawdaunt, Whiscash, Hariyama, Tropius and Dusclops in Sapphire.

I have no idea why I was stupid enough to use two water-types in Sapphire but I really liked both Whiscash and Crawdaunt.

NeganTheSavior

For Sapphire, my team was Blaziken, Magneton, Regice, Rayquaza, Kyogre and Garvevoir. This was before I established my "I don't use legendaries in playthroughs" policy. I just remember beating the Elite Four multiple times.

Don't remember what my Fire Red team was, but I chose Bulbasaur.

Leonhart

Imagineer
jaden767 said:
I used Gardevoir, Linoone, Manectric, Camerupt, Azumarill and Skarmory in Emerald and Blaziken, Crawdaunt, Whiscash, Hariyama, Tropius and Dusclops in Sapphire.

I have no idea why I was stupid enough to use two water-types in Sapphire but I really liked both Whiscash and Crawdaunt.

In all honesty, I don't think there's anything wrong with using two Pokemon of the same type. I don't normally do that myself these days since there's a much wider variety of Pokemon in the newer games so type overlap isn't a big problem, but I used two Water-types on my Ruby team at one point, then two Flying-types. I just went with what I liked.

WalesNote

The last one that I remember in Emerald:

Sceptile, Mightyena, Aggron, Camerupt, Raichu and Walrein.

They were a lovely bunch. Sceptile was good at everything, Mightyena is still my very favourite beastie of all, Aggron my powerful monster thing, Camerupt my backup guy, Raichu my shocker lady, and Walrein my destroyer.

Other pokémon used in previous playthroughs: Gardevoir, Ludicolo, Lunatone, Wailord, Rhydon, Tropius, Glalie.

Trillion

swampert
sceptile
raichu
magneton
shiftry
electrode
vileplume
bellossom
azumarill
minun

i started with gen 3 so this is what my earliest ever teams consisted of

however, these aren't all the pokemon i had. these are just the ones i remember.

and i don't remember which ones were on my ruby team and which ones were on my emerald team so i just grouped them all together

i just remember that electrode and magneton were on the same team, raichu and azumarill were on the same team, and bellossom and vileplume were on the same team

as for fire red, all i remember is venusaur and dugtrio

Last edited:

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
For Pokemon Colosseum, I remember my final team being...

Espeon
Umbreon
Hariyama
Typhlosion
Heracross
Metagross

Actually I caught a bunch of other Pokemon, but these six I remember using the most, Metagross being caught at the last minute. Can't say I remember much except that I remember Espeon and Umbreon as the first starter Pokemon, and capturing Hariyama and Typhlosion in Phenac City. I do remember that tough Azumarill fight. Thinking about it, there weren't a lot of interesting options for Shadow Pokemon in Colosseum compared to what XD offered. I do remember Suicune, Entei, and Raikou just being a huge surprise. Wish the game told us more why they appeared.

LucarioIsMegaEvolving

A single misplaced step
I remember as a really young kid I'd only use my starter, then catch Rayquaza in Emerald, so my teams would be either Swampert and Rayquaza or Blaziken and Rayquaza.

I vaguely remember my first Fire Red playthrough having Charmeleon, Victreebell, Pidgeotto and Haunter, but I never ended up finishing it.

My most recent Emerald playthrough though I've used Blaziken, Walrein, Altaria, Flygon, Ludicolo, and Absol, all but Blaziken being Pokémon I haven't used. It was fun sweeping Juan by having my Altaria set up with Dragon Dance.