• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What Pokemon Teams did you have on your Gen 4 playthroughs? Any good memories?

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Simple Question.

mHGZUwD.png

Pokemon Adventures - Platina's Final Team prepped and ready for Sinnoh's Battle Frontier By SCIIZORS

Last edited:

KyogreThunder

Call of Fate
In Platinum, I had the most fun with a team of Torterra, Staraptor, Gyarados, Rotom, Gallade and Weavile.
In Pearl, I used Empoleon, Staraptor, Weavile, Garchomp, Roserade and Drifblim.
In HeartGold, my team was Feraligatr, Fearow, Heracross, Nidoking, Arcanine and Espeon.
In SoulSilver, I used Typhlosion, Heracross, Lanturn, Red Gyarados, Skarmory and Nidoking.

Last edited:

shoz999

My original play through was in Pokemon Pearl. In school, practically everyone who had the newest Pokemon Diamond and Pearl games chose Empoleon lol. In double battles, it was very common to see people start out with Empoleon. Before I knew about competitive, EVs, IVs or that Dragon didn't beat everything, my team was...

Empoleon
Staraptor
Luxray
Bastiodon
Lucario
Garchomp

Except for Bastiodon, pretty much everyone I knew at school had at least around five of the Pokemon I listed lol that this coincidence is somewhat hilarious and yet understandable why. Piplup is undoubtedly the most popular Gen 4 starter. I mean it's a freaking penguin! Kids love Penguins! Luxrary and Staraptor are popular Pokemon you can get really early on. Lucario doesn't need an introduction considering his movie debut and Garchomp was the only non-legendary dragon-type of Gen 4 and man, he was a badass looking dragon-design.

M.P.

Retired
Diamond was my first ever Pokemon game. My team on my playthrough was:

Torterra
Gyarados
Crobat
Steelix
Honchkrow (replaced by Weavile after E4)
Drapion

I was really terrible at playing Pokemon back then... I used Torterra 90% of the time, which meant it was overleveled and everyone else was extremely underleveled. Somehow managed to beat the game regardless of that. Had a lot of overlap in types as well.

My team in HeartGold was:

Feraligatr
Pidgeot
Nidoking
Arbok (replaced by Snorlax after E4)
Magneton
Gyarados

I used my Pokemon more equally, though all my Pokemon other than Feraligatr and Magneton were still underleveled. Still had a lot of type overlap as well. This team had probably more of my personal favorites than any other of my teams.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
WOOOOO BOI

I remember my gen 4 team fondly.
-Torterra
-Gastrodon (west)
-Geodude
-Dialga
-Bibarel
-Staravia

I have maaaaaaaaany memories but one of my favourites is the long Journey to Snowpoint. All but Gastrodon had been KO'd and she wasn't looking too good. With no healing items and taking damage unavoidable damage every time a trainer caught a glance at me due to the hail, it looked like it might be the end. Gastrodon was sitting at 5HP when suddenly the music changed... we had made it! Gastrodon really saved my butt that time and is now one of my favourite pokemon.

... It was later I learned that there's a house with a bed on that route.

GarchompTheAssassin

Water starter fan
Current Platinum team (3rd play through) is actually:

Empoleon
Staraptor
Luxray
Roserade
Garchomp
Giratina (replaced slave Bibarel)

^All had amazing cries in gen 4
1st playthrough (Diamond) wasn't that different except I don't think I managed to get Garchomp or Giratina

Oh yeah for most of my 1st run through of HeartGold I had a wonderfully diverse team of

Feraligatr
Typhlosion
Gyarados
Arcanine
Ampharos
Togekiss

(Pretty sure I even had Charizard + Blastoise instead of the last 2 at one point)

Eventually swapped the middle 2 for Heracross, Dragonite/Espeon

Last edited:

Cat's Eye Draco

The first time I played Platinum my team consisted of Empoleon, Glaceon, Luxray, and Staraptor. I somehow managed to avoid all publicity and information on Gen IV's Pokemon, so I just caught whatever I happened to run into that looked interesting and that's what I wound up with. xD (Weirdly enough, it was probably the easiest playthrough I've ever done on that game.)

Can't remember what my first team in SoulSilver was, but my favorite was probably the one consisting of Meganium, Jolteon, Ninetales, Lapras, Togekiss, and Mamoswine.

The Teller

King of Half-Truths
Diamond: Torterra, Staraptor, Luxray, Lucario, Garchomp, ...Octillery.
Platinum: Torterra, Alakazam, Dodrio, Hitmonchan, Dugtrio, XXX.
HeartGold: Feraligator, Weavile, Yanmega, Mismagiusm, Aerodactyl, Hitmontop
SoulSilver: Meganium, Espeon, Kingdra, Ampharos, Gallade, Honchkrow

I've give updates as to how I came to these teams later.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
My first team ever: Infernape, Staraptor, Luxray, Roserade, Floatzel, and Garchomp. I've yet to have a team come close to how I felt with this team

Erron Black

The Outlaw
I didn't really ever enjoy Diamond/Pearl. I need to purchase Platinum again since that was where I had better memories of Gen 4. Anyway, here's the teams I ended up with at the end.

Team 1:
Torterra
Luxray
Honchkrow
Rampardos
Lucario
Lumineon

Team 2:
Infernape
Leafeon
Drapion
Weavile
Garchomp
Staraptor

Team 3:
Empoleon
Hippowdon
Skuntank
Vespiquen
Dusknoir
Magmortar

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
I had 3 different copies of HG. My first copy was the Japanese release and my team was
Typhlosion
Ampharos
Azumaril
Ho-oh

I don't remember the last 2.

My STRONGEST memories were walking to the park every day with my PokeWalker trying to get the flying pikachu. I got a million surfing ones but no flyers.

Yureishi

My Platinum team consisted of: Torterra, Drifblim, Lickilicky, Magmortar, Magnezone and Gastrodon. The funniest memories I have about the Sinnoh games actually float on my thoughts about how the majority of the new evolutions introduced on the Gen. which this region belong to (Lickilicky, Rhyperior, Electivire, Magmortar, Togekiss and Dusknoir to name some example) look somewhat fat. Absolutely lovely for me in any case... After all I've always had a soft spot for fat-looking Pokémon.

Prof. SALTY

The Scruffy Professor
My Platinum team consisted of: Torterra, Drifblim, Lickilicky, Magmortar, Magnezone and Gastrodon. The funniest memories I have about the Sinnoh games actually float on my thoughts about how the majority of the new evolutions introduced on the Gen. which this region belong to (Lickilicky, Rhyperior, Electivire, Magmortar, Togekiss and Dusknoir to name some example) look somewhat fat. Absolutely lovely for me in any case... After all I've always had a soft spot for fat-looking Pokémon.

Omg same. My big thicc bois! I think Electivire and Tangrowth are my favourites.

shoz999

Omg same. My big thicc bois! I think Electivire and Tangrowth are my favourites.
Ugh... Gen V's regenerator Tangrowth... the stuff of nightmares... Who remembers Regenerator Tangrowth? Tangrowth was strong enough in DP but in BW, he is an unstoppable tank if you don't have the counters for it.

Last edited:

SubtleVVeirdoh

Unova Enthusiast
I remember when they first came out. Had chose Turtwig, on my first play. I remember seeing Grotle evolve into Torterra, lost my mind at a young age. Like the design reminds me of the Bulba and Chikorita; the twig becoming a tree, but it wasn’t just a tree. Basically it’s own slice of Earth on its back. A freaking ecosystem, in my mind.

Teams:
Torterra
Luxray
Gallade

were the only ones I could remember from my first initial play. I, also, remember trying to evolve Snorunt at the Icy Rock, because of a rumor, not knowing the Dawn Stone could evolve it and that the Icy Rock was meant for Eevee.

Shiny Venusaur

Internet Relic
My first team on Diamond was Torterra, Staraptor, Luxray, Floatzel, Toxicroak, Lucario. Still have them all on GenVII too! What’s funny looking back on it is that they were all physical attackers.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I used Lucario and Togekiss is Pearl, which I really liked since both had excellent stats, cool designs, and knew Aura Sphere. I chose Pochama (Piplup) as my Starter in that game.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Platinum was the first ever game where I tried to have a real, balanced team of six. Though my final would end up being a Pal Park Pokemon because I was never able to decide on the last member
  • Empoleon: Water is my favorite type, it's Steel typing was very useful defensively and I had already used a Torterra before
  • Dusknoir: A strong Ghost type with punching moves
  • Magmortar: It was generally an all-around good Pokemon
  • Weavile: Filled the need for a speedster who can pack a punch, my preferred archetype
  • Tropius: I dunno, I just kind of picked it for the flier
  • Claydol: The bulky Pal Parker

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
Pearl
Empoleon
Staraptor
Wormadam (Bug/Grass variant)
Luxray
Magmortar
Hippowdon (Female)

HeartGold