1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Guest
    As I'm sure you're well aware, sites aren't free to run and so we run leaderboard adverts to fund the site. These ads are often specific game ones run by Sega etc.
    To make sure we get relevant ads as much as possible, could you fill out this survey my ad network is running? It's 100% anonymous and will just help us keep relevant ads on the site
    https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/8GL2ZTK
    It's open til April 3rd
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

What Pokemon Teams did you have on your Gen 4 playthroughs? Any good memories?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation IV Discussion' started by shoz999, Nov 6, 2018.

1. shoz999

shoz999 It's a Brooklyn episode. So turn on the subtitles.

Simple Question.

[​IMG]
    Pokemon Adventures - Platina's Final Team prepped and ready for Sinnoh's Battle Frontier By SCIIZORS

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  2. KyogreThunder

KyogreThunder Call of Fate

In Platinum, I had the most fun with a team of Torterra, Staraptor, Gyarados, Rotom, Gallade and Weavile.
    In Pearl, I used Empoleon, Staraptor, Weavile, Garchomp, Roserade and Drifblim.
    In HeartGold, my team was Feraligatr, Fearow, Heracross, Nidoking, Arcanine and Espeon.
    In SoulSilver, I used Typhlosion, Heracross, Lanturn, Red Gyarados, Skarmory and Nidoking.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    shoz999 likes this.
  3. shoz999

My original play through was in Pokemon Pearl. In school, practically everyone who had the newest Pokemon Diamond and Pearl games chose Empoleon lol. In double battles, it was very common to see people start out with Empoleon. Before I knew about competitive, EVs, IVs or that Dragon didn't beat everything, my team was...

Empoleon
    Staraptor
    Luxray
    Bastiodon
    Lucario
    Garchomp

Except for Bastiodon, pretty much everyone I knew at school had at least around five of the Pokemon I listed lol that this coincidence is somewhat hilarious and yet understandable why. Piplup is undoubtedly the most popular Gen 4 starter. I mean it's a freaking penguin! Kids love Penguins! Luxrary and Staraptor are popular Pokemon you can get really early on. Lucario doesn't need an introduction considering his movie debut and Garchomp was the only non-legendary dragon-type of Gen 4 and man, he was a badass looking dragon-design.

4. M.P.

M.P. Ghastly Gamer

Diamond was my first ever Pokemon game. My team on my playthrough was:

Torterra
    Gyarados
    Crobat
    Steelix
    Honchkrow (replaced by Weavile after E4)
    Drapion

I was really terrible at playing Pokemon back then... I used Torterra 90% of the time, which meant it was overleveled and everyone else was extremely underleveled. Somehow managed to beat the game regardless of that. Had a lot of overlap in types as well.

My team in HeartGold was:

Feraligatr
    Pidgeot
    Nidoking
    Arbok (replaced by Snorlax after E4)
    Magneton
    Gyarados

I used my Pokemon more equally, though all my Pokemon other than Feraligatr and Magneton were still underleveled. Still had a lot of type overlap as well. This team had probably more of my personal favorites than any other of my teams.

shoz999 likes this.
  5. Prof. SALTY

Prof. SALTY The Scruffy Professor

WOOOOO BOI

I remember my gen 4 team fondly.
    -Torterra
    -Gastrodon (west)
    -Geodude
    -Dialga
    -Bibarel
    -Staravia

I have maaaaaaaaany memories but one of my favourites is the long Journey to Snowpoint. All but Gastrodon had been KO'd and she wasn't looking too good. With no healing items and taking damage unavoidable damage every time a trainer caught a glance at me due to the hail, it looked like it might be the end. Gastrodon was sitting at 5HP when suddenly the music changed... we had made it! Gastrodon really saved my butt that time and is now one of my favourite pokemon.

... It was later I learned that there's a house with a bed on that route.

shoz999 likes this.
  6. GarchompTheAssassin

GarchompTheAssassin Water starter fan

Current Platinum team (3rd play through) is actually:

Empoleon
    Staraptor
    Luxray
    Roserade
    Garchomp
    Giratina (replaced slave Bibarel)

^All had amazing cries in gen 4
    1st playthrough (Diamond) wasn't that different except I don't think I managed to get Garchomp or Giratina

Oh yeah for most of my 1st run through of HeartGold I had a wonderfully diverse team of

Feraligatr
    Typhlosion
    Gyarados
    Arcanine
    Ampharos
    Togekiss

(Pretty sure I even had Charizard + Blastoise instead of the last 2 at one point)

Eventually swapped the middle 2 for Heracross, Dragonite/Espeon

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    shoz999 likes this.
  7. Cat's Eye Draco

Cat's Eye Draco Well-Known Member

The first time I played Platinum my team consisted of Empoleon, Glaceon, Luxray, and Staraptor. I somehow managed to avoid all publicity and information on Gen IV's Pokemon, so I just caught whatever I happened to run into that looked interesting and that's what I wound up with. xD (Weirdly enough, it was probably the easiest playthrough I've ever done on that game.)

Can't remember what my first team in SoulSilver was, but my favorite was probably the one consisting of Meganium, Jolteon, Ninetales, Lapras, Togekiss, and Mamoswine.

shoz999 likes this.
  8. The Teller

The Teller King of Half-Truths

Diamond: Torterra, Staraptor, Luxray, Lucario, Garchomp, ...Octillery.
    Platinum: Torterra, Alakazam, Dodrio, Hitmonchan, Dugtrio, XXX.
    HeartGold: Feraligator, Weavile, Yanmega, Mismagiusm, Aerodactyl, Hitmontop
    SoulSilver: Meganium, Espeon, Kingdra, Ampharos, Gallade, Honchkrow

I've give updates as to how I came to these teams later.

shoz999 likes this.
  9. Ignition

Ignition I had no standards yet I’m still disappointed lol

My first team ever: Infernape, Staraptor, Luxray, Roserade, Floatzel, and Garchomp. I've yet to have a team come close to how I felt with this team

shoz999 likes this.
  10. Erron Black

Erron Black The Outlaw

I didn't really ever enjoy Diamond/Pearl. I need to purchase Platinum again since that was where I had better memories of Gen 4. Anyway, here's the teams I ended up with at the end.

Team 1:
    Torterra
    Luxray
    Honchkrow
    Rampardos
    Lucario
    Lumineon

Team 2:
    Infernape
    Leafeon
    Drapion
    Weavile
    Garchomp
    Staraptor

Team 3:
    Empoleon
    Hippowdon
    Skuntank
    Vespiquen
    Dusknoir
    Magmortar

shoz999 likes this.
  11. Prof. SALTY

I had 3 different copies of HG. My first copy was the Japanese release and my team was
    Typhlosion
    Ampharos
    Azumaril
    Ho-oh

I don't remember the last 2.

My STRONGEST memories were walking to the park every day with my PokeWalker trying to get the flying pikachu. I got a million surfing ones but no flyers.

shoz999 likes this.
  12. Yureishi

Yureishi Well-Known Member

My Platinum team consisted of: Torterra, Drifblim, Lickilicky, Magmortar, Magnezone and Gastrodon. The funniest memories I have about the Sinnoh games actually float on my thoughts about how the majority of the new evolutions introduced on the Gen. which this region belong to (Lickilicky, Rhyperior, Electivire, Magmortar, Togekiss and Dusknoir to name some example) look somewhat fat. Absolutely lovely for me in any case... After all I've always had a soft spot for fat-looking Pokémon.

shoz999 likes this.
  13. Prof. SALTY

Omg same. My big thicc bois! I think Electivire and Tangrowth are my favourites.

shoz999 and Yureishi like this.
  14. shoz999

Ugh... Gen V's regenerator Tangrowth... the stuff of nightmares... Who remembers Regenerator Tangrowth? Tangrowth was strong enough in DP but in BW, he is an unstoppable tank if you don't have the counters for it.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2018
    SubtleVVeirdoh likes this.
  15. Nebbygetinthebag

Nebbygetinthebag Jet-Black Hero

My team in Platinum was: Infernape, Staraptor, Floatzel, Bronzong, Garchomp and Abomasnow. My strongest memories when I was facing the Champions Cynthia, it was a tough battle.

shoz999 likes this.
  16. SubtleVVeirdoh

SubtleVVeirdoh Unova Enthusiast

I remember when they first came out. Had chose Turtwig, on my first play. I remember seeing Grotle evolve into Torterra, lost my mind at a young age. Like the design reminds me of the Bulba and Chikorita; the twig becoming a tree, but it wasn’t just a tree. Basically it’s own slice of Earth on its back. A freaking ecosystem, in my mind.

Teams:
    Torterra
    Luxray
    Gallade

were the only ones I could remember from my first initial play. I, also, remember trying to evolve Snorunt at the Icy Rock, because of a rumor, not knowing the Dawn Stone could evolve it and that the Icy Rock was meant for Eevee.

shoz999 likes this.
  17. Shiny Venusaur

Shiny Venusaur The Prodigal Son

My first team on Diamond was Torterra, Staraptor, Luxray, Floatzel, Toxicroak, Lucario. Still have them all on GenVII too! What’s funny looking back on it is that they were all physical attackers.

shoz999 likes this.
  18. Leonhart

Leonhart Disney fanatic

I used Lucario and Togekiss is Pearl, which I really liked since both had excellent stats, cool designs, and knew Aura Sphere. I chose Pochama (Piplup) as my Starter in that game.

shoz999 likes this.
  19. RedJirachi

RedJirachi Veteran member

Platinum was the first ever game where I tried to have a real, balanced team of six. Though my final would end up being a Pal Park Pokemon because I was never able to decide on the last member
    • Empoleon: Water is my favorite type, it's Steel typing was very useful defensively and I had already used a Torterra before
    • Dusknoir: A strong Ghost type with punching moves
    • Magmortar: It was generally an all-around good Pokemon
    • Weavile: Filled the need for a speedster who can pack a punch, my preferred archetype
    • Tropius: I dunno, I just kind of picked it for the flier
    • Claydol: The bulky Pal Parker

shoz999 likes this.
  20. PokeMon2.0

PokeMon2.0 Pokémon Music Fan

Pearl
    Empoleon
    Staraptor
    Wormadam (Bug/Grass variant)
    Luxray
    Magmortar
    Hippowdon (Female)