1. We have moved to a new forum system. All your posts and data should have transferred over. Welcome, to the new Serebii Forums. Details here
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
    Dismiss Notice
  3. If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders
    Dismiss Notice

What Pokemon Teams did you have on your Gen 4 playthroughs? Any good memories?

Discussion in 'Pokémon Generation IV Discussion' started by shoz999, Nov 6, 2018.

1. JohnLynch

JohnLynch Well-Known Member

I only just defeated the Johto Elite 4 so here is my "final" pokemon team (everything after the Elite 4 is always classified as post game by me and might have lineup changes based on the needs of the postgame content).

HeartGold
    Feraligatr:
    My starter and a definite contributor. Although due to the HM selections it became a HM slave which was disappointing. I eventually had to use the move deleter to remove two of the HMs and give it a ghost and dragon move for better coverage.
    Butterfree: My biggest disappointment. It barely contributed against the E4.
    Piloswine: One of my stronger Pokemon despite having such a low level. I am going to get a heart scale from Sapphire to evolve it into Mamoswine.
    Machamp: Thanks to having both Platinum and HeartGold plus a DS and 3DS I was able to trade evolve this pokemon.
    Magmortar: Another trade evolution. Magmar was a late addition to the party but it definitely helped with covering a few extra type combinations. It was quite powerful, and definitely pulled it's weight.
    Ampharos: My Most Valued Pokemon would be this one. It carried the fight against the final Elite 4 member (or the champion?) which consisted of Gyarados and so many Dragonites that it just wiped them all out.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  2. shoz999

shoz999 The Legend of Mudkip

Been a while since I've seen another guy have a Butterfree. Butterfree doesn't really get good until Gen V where it gets Quiver Dance. For me personally, I use compound eyes and sleep powder to turn it into a sort of Darkrai-lite for single battles with Focus Sash. Funny thing is, you can tell a player knows what your up to if they quickly switch-out.

3. JohnLynch

JohnLynch Well-Known Member

I like taking "weak" pokemon and getting them to contribute to the final Elite 4. Butterfree unfortunately just didn't manage to cut it though in the contributing department.

It's disappointing to see that Butterfree gets better in a later generation. I'm tempted to use it again but when you consider all the other pokemon I've never even looked at I don't think I will.

One of these days I'll get Raticate into my team against the Elite Four and find a way to get him to contribute to the final victory.

(I also edited in two members: Machamp and Magmortar).

BTS_fan and shoz999 like this.
  4. Hunter Zolomon

Hunter Zolomon Into the Shadows Staff Member

My very first Pokémon Platinum team was

Infernape
    Staraptor
    Floatzel
    Roserade
    Luxray
    Dusknoir

My very first SoulSilver team was

Typhlosion
    Espeon
    Ampharos
    Crobat
    Lanturn
    Heracross

Fushiki, WishIhadaManafi5 and shoz999 like this.
  5. Ignition

Ignition Buttwitch needs more appreciation

Slightly unrelated but Diamond & Pearl were released 12 years ago today and that makes feel old knowing I still have my original 6 when I’m about to graduate from college in a year

Fushiki, WishIhadaManafi5 and shoz999 like this.
  6. Storm the Lycanroc

Storm the Lycanroc Unova Bound

Recently I've been looking back on all the previous generations and want to share some thoughts about Generation 4 specifically.

I'm trying to remember some good memories of D/P/PL but cant say I have many beyond which team I used. That team usually consisting of Torterra/Empoleon, Staraptor, Luxray, Floatzel, Lucario, and Garchomp. Either time has made me forget or these games arent that memorable.

Sadly the same can be said for HG/SS... I dont have many memories mostly because by the time these games came out in March 2010 in North America the company was already teasing new content for B/W (Generation 5) which honestly I was more interested in than another remake. So I didn't have much time for HG/SS to endear itself to me.

Fushiki and shoz999 like this.
  7. shoz999

shoz999 The Legend of Mudkip

One of my more successful Pokemon teams during a playthrough of Platinum consisted of...

Infernape
    Bastiodon
    Yanmega
    Magnezone
    Gastrodon
    Hippowdon

A lot of "dons" from Gen 4 lol. Even today, they pack quite a bit of a bunch in the Gen 7 online experience, unfortunately though Bastiodon might need a change to his EVs and movesets. Actually Bastiodon just needs a huge buff in-general to go with his defensive/counter playstyle.

Fushiki likes this.
  8. Fushiki

Fushiki Golden Orchid

The Generation IV games I played with are Platinum and Soul Silver.

...Platinum...
    Torterra
    Honchkrow
    Floatzel
    Toxicroak
    Magnezone
    Porygon-Z

...Soul Silver...
    Feraligatr
    Tangrowth
    Hitmontop
    Togekiss
    Scizor
    Entei

I remember that for one week I got stuck into the Platinum's Distortion World.
    Also, catching Entei with a normal, random Poké Ball in Soul Silver was rather funny.

shoz999, BTS_fan and WishIhadaManafi5 like this.
  9. Mega Ampharos the Dragon

Mega Ampharos the Dragon Electric type Enthusiast

My Diamond play through team ended with:
    Torterra
    Bibarel
    Staraptor
    Floatzel
    Toxicroak
    Dialga

shoz999 likes this.