• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What Pokemon Teams did you have on your Gen 4 playthroughs? Any good memories?

JohnLynch

I only just defeated the Johto Elite 4 so here is my "final" pokemon team (everything after the Elite 4 is always classified as post game by me and might have lineup changes based on the needs of the postgame content).

HeartGold
Feraligatr:
My starter and a definite contributor. Although due to the HM selections it became a HM slave which was disappointing. I eventually had to use the move deleter to remove two of the HMs and give it a ghost and dragon move for better coverage.
Butterfree: My biggest disappointment. It barely contributed against the E4.
Piloswine: One of my stronger Pokemon despite having such a low level. I am going to get a heart scale from Sapphire to evolve it into Mamoswine.
Machamp: Thanks to having both Platinum and HeartGold plus a DS and 3DS I was able to trade evolve this pokemon.
Magmortar: Another trade evolution. Magmar was a late addition to the party but it definitely helped with covering a few extra type combinations. It was quite powerful, and definitely pulled it's weight.
Ampharos: My Most Valued Pokemon would be this one. It carried the fight against the final Elite 4 member (or the champion?) which consisted of Gyarados and so many Dragonites that it just wiped them all out.

Last edited:

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
I only just defeated the Johto Elite 4 so here is my "final" pokemon team (everything after the Elite 4 is always classified as post game by me and might have lineup changes based on the needs of the postgame content).

HeartGold
Feraligatr:
My starter and a definite contributor. Although due to the HM selections it became a HM slave which was disappointing. I eventually had to use the move deleter to remove two of the HMs and give it a ghost and dragon move for better coverage.
Butterfree: My biggest disappointment. It barely contributed against the E4.
Piloswine: One of my stronger Pokemon despite having such a low level. I am going to get a heart scale from Sapphire to evolve it into Mamoswine.
Ampharos: My Most Valued Pokemon would be this one. It carried the fight against the final Elite 4 member (or the champion?) which consisted of Gyarados and so many Dragonites that it just wiped them all out.
Been a while since I've seen another guy have a Butterfree. Butterfree doesn't really get good until Gen V where it gets Quiver Dance. For me personally, I use compound eyes and sleep powder to turn it into a sort of Darkrai-lite for single battles with Focus Sash. Funny thing is, you can tell a player knows what your up to if they quickly switch-out.

JohnLynch

Been a while since I've seen another guy have a Butterfree. Butterfree doesn't really get good until Gen V where it gets Quiver Dance. For me personally, I use compound eyes and sleep powder to turn it into a sort of Darkrai-lite for single battles with Focus Sash. Funny thing is, you can tell a player knows what your up to if they quickly switch-out.
I like taking "weak" pokemon and getting them to contribute to the final Elite 4. Butterfree unfortunately just didn't manage to cut it though in the contributing department.

It's disappointing to see that Butterfree gets better in a later generation. I'm tempted to use it again but when you consider all the other pokemon I've never even looked at I don't think I will.

One of these days I'll get Raticate into my team against the Elite Four and find a way to get him to contribute to the final victory.

(I also edited in two members: Machamp and Magmortar).

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
Recently I've been looking back on all the previous generations and want to share some thoughts about Generation 4 specifically.

I'm trying to remember some good memories of D/P/PL but cant say I have many beyond which team I used. That team usually consisting of Torterra/Empoleon, Staraptor, Luxray, Floatzel, Lucario, and Garchomp. Either time has made me forget or these games arent that memorable.

Sadly the same can be said for HG/SS... I dont have many memories mostly because by the time these games came out in March 2010 in North America the company was already teasing new content for B/W (Generation 5) which honestly I was more interested in than another remake. So I didn't have much time for HG/SS to endear itself to me.

shoz999

One of my more successful Pokemon teams during a playthrough of Platinum consisted of...

Infernape
Bastiodon
Yanmega
Magnezone
Gastrodon
Hippowdon

A lot of "dons" from Gen 4 lol. Even today, they pack quite a bit of a bunch in the Gen 7 online experience, unfortunately though Bastiodon might need a change to his EVs and movesets. Actually Bastiodon just needs a huge buff in-general to go with his defensive/counter playstyle.

My Diamond play through team ended with:
Torterra
Bibarel
Staraptor
Floatzel
Toxicroak
Dialga

shoz999

The earliest HGSS team I recall making, one I still have with me now is...

Typhlosion
Noctowl
Ampharos
Scizor
Kingdra
Ursaring

Typhlosion is my favorite Johto starter, love it's simple design. Shame it hasn't gotten any noteworthy buffs. Noctowl is another favorite, he's surprisingly bulky for an Owl. Remember catching Hoothoot at nighttime, both in the remakes and it's older variants. Definitely a Pokemon that represents the day-night cycle really well. There's Ampharos who got a huge buff in Gen 6 with Mega Ampharos which I just like but unfortunately that's going to be taken away by Gen 8, one of the few buffs that actually helped Ampharos. Still remember it as a Mareep, a fun Pokemon you can catch early on... after you beat the Gym Leader lol. Scizor, Scizor is arguably my strongest. Sword Dance + Bullet Punch is always devastating. I remember catching him as a Scyther in the Bug Catching Contest. The thing is after all these generations I've transferred Scizor over, he still has his Park Ball from Gen 4, a little P symbol on his ball. Kingdra is arguably the bulkiest of my team, really devastating with swift swim too. If I remember correctly, I believe I caught him at the Whirl Islands during my quest to find Lugia. Finally there's Ursaring. It hits really hard with Guts but I think I might need to change it to Quick Feet because it's easily the weakest member of my team. Still I love the guy, remember catching him as a Teddiursa in the middle of the mountains.

TwilightBlade

In Pearl:

• Torterra
  • Drapion
  • Honchkrow
  • Floatzel
  • Lucario
  • Luxray

In HeartGold:

• Meganium
  • Noctowl
  • Ampharos
  • Golduck
  • Weavile
  • Ninetales

I previously had Rapidash in place of Drapion in Pearl, but I switched Pokemon a year ago since I realized that Rapidash just isn't that great. Drapion knows Fire Fang anyway, so it's enough as a pseudo fire Pokemon.

Last edited:

Paul1985

Ana de Armas fan
Diamond: Torterra, Floatzel, Luxray, Frosslass, Honchkrow and Lucario.

Pearl: Infernape, Gastrodon, Bastiodon, Mismagius, Staraptor, and Roserade.

Platinum: Empoleon, Glaceon, Garchomp, Drifblim, Gallade and Tangrowth.

HeartGold: Feraligatr, Heracross, Crobat, Weavile, Ampharos and Magmortar.

SoulSilver: Typhlosion, Electivire, Xatu, Poliwrath, Bellossom and Umbreon.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Paul1985 said:
SoulSilver: Typhlosion, Electivire, Xatu, Poliwrath, Bellossom and Umbreon.

I've always wanted to use a Blacky (Umbreon) on one of my teams, but I've never had the patience to raise Pokemon in general with their happiness level in mind specifically, and the fact that Eievui (Eevee) has to evolve at night to become Blacky adds another layer of annoyance for me since I hardly play the games at night.

Emboar_Rulez

Pokémon Master (Kinda)
Pearl team:Infernape,Floatzel,Lucario,Weavile,Garchomp,Staraptor.

Platnium Team:Torterra,Luxray,Staraptor,Houndoom,Garchomp,Floatzel

Heart Gold Team:Typhlosion,Crobat,Quagsire,Golem,Ampharos,Heracross

Soul Silver:Feraligater,Dragonite,Tyranitar,Arcanine,Gengar,Magnezone.

Zorovolt

Champion of the Zora
In Pearl I used:

Empoleon
Staraptor
Lucario
Roserade
Garchomp
Mismagius

The only thing to mention is that I’ve done a few playthrough’s in the nearly 13 years since the games’ release, and originally used to use torterra instead of empoleon.

In HGSS Up to the 1st round of elite four I used:

Typhlosion
Espeon
Gyarados
Crobat
Dragonite
Kingdra

I would usually switch out Crobat for Charizard in Kanto.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Carrick2097 said:
In HGSS Up to the 1st round of elite four I used:

Typhlosion
Espeon
Gyarados
Crobat
Dragonite
Kingdra

I would usually switch out Crobat for Charizard in Kanto.

I'm impressed that you had the patience to evolve Eievui (Eevee), Golbat, and Seadra during the main storyline. Two of those Pokemon evolve via friendship, which I've always found tedious since it can take a long time, and Seadra evolves via trade with the Dragon Scale attached which sounds just as difficult. Personally, I hardly form teams with Pokemon that rely on inconvenient evolution methods, but I like your dedication.

Zorovolt

Champion of the Zora
I'm impressed that you had the patience to evolve Eievui (Eevee), Golbat, and Seadra during the main storyline. Two of those Pokemon evolve via friendship, which I've always found tedious since it can take a long time, and Seadra evolves via trade with the Dragon Scale attached which sounds just as difficult. Personally, I hardly form teams with Pokemon that rely on inconvenient evolution methods, but I like your dedication.

Thank you- I don’t like a lot of Gen 1-2 Pokemon so I wanted to make sure I was using my absolute favourites, of which Espeon and Kingdra are 2, whilst Crobat I found very viable in game. I did have a friend to help with trade evo’s too. Like most other people, there’s certain aspects such as grinding for friendship etc. That I never did as a kid in the original Gen 1-2 games but now have the patience to do since playing the games when older, such as when HGSS were originally released.

zolios

I was never a big fan of Gen 4 because of how slow the Sinnoh games are so I never finished a Sinnoh game when I was a kid since I was to impatient to deal with the sluggish pace of these games for more than the first few Gyms (the furthest I ever gotten was Crasher Wake in Platinum). I sold my Gen 4 games around the time BW2 came out and I never expected to play them again. However about a year ago I got a chance to buy Pokemon Pearl for pretty much nothing (I think the guy didn't know the value of old Pokemon games) so I decided to buy it and try to finally complete the Sinnoh game now that I'm a bit older and more patient than before. Turns out I actually enjoyed this Pearl playthrough a lot more than I expected and I think the big reason for this was the team I decided to use because it had a lot of my personal favorites.

My Pokemon Pearl team was:
- Infernape
- Staraptor
- Floatzel
- Mismagius
- Raichu
- Steelix

I really enjoyed using this team, especially the Pokemon like Mismagius and Steelix. The MVPs of the team were Mismagius and Raichu and my favorite moment was when my Raichu swept Bertha (Ground type E4 member) because it knew Grass Knot and Bertha allowed me to set up a Nasty Plot for free on the first turn.

Eryzol

LEGEND
Pokemon Pearl was the first game I played as a kid. Even if my team wasn't the greatest, having a poor move set and a legendary, I had a lot of fun as I loved all the pokemon I came across. At that time I could barely understand what is going on but this didn't stop me from having fun!

-Infernape
-Staraptor
-Luxray
-Palkia
-Golduck
-Lucario

NeganTheSavior

I'm replaying Platinum right now and my current team is

Infernape
Floatzel
Luxray
Staraptor
Roserade
Garchomp

I'm debating on switching Staraptor for Giratina. I normally don't use legendaries, but I might make an exception here since I'm currently grinding in preparation for the league. I haven't forgotten how tough Cynthia is.

PokePlatinum14

Pokemon Platinum Master
This was and is my team for platinum currently.

Dusknoir/Ghost/Pressure/None
(average stats, not exact)
200-294/184-328/247-405/121-251/247-405/85-207

Confuse Ray
Shadow Punch
Payback
Future Sight

Dusknoir is my "wall" or "sheild" of my group. He has some of the highest defense and since he is a ghost type, he has some immunities which helps. He isn't the strongest puncher of the group, but he can let me heal the rest of my team up. He is ment to cover Houndoom from Fighting+Ground and Scizor from Ground.

Garchomp/Dragon-Ground/Sand Veil/None
290-384/157-295/184-328/175-317/229-383/157-295

Dragon Claw
Dig
Crunch
Dragon Rush

Garchomp is the "Sweeper" of my team. He can really pack a punch and is pretty fast, too. His defense is on the weaker side but his other stats make up for it. He can cover for Scizor and Jolteon pretty well. If I send him out, my plan is to just knock as many pokemon as I can out.

Scizor/Steel-Bug/Swarm/None
250-344/238-394/184-328/103-229/148-284/121-251

X-Scissor
Night Slash
False Swipe
Iron Head

Scizor is a mix of defense and offense. Of course, he is a steel type so he has generally high defense so I send him out as more of a last resort pokemon. His job is to stay alive and fight but I can also heal my other pokemon with him. Used as a balance, he really can't cover for many pokemon in my party.

Gyarados/Water-Flying/Intimidate/None
300-394/255-349/163-257/125-219/205-299/167-261

Ice Fang
Aqua Tail
Hydro Pump
Hyper Beam

Gyarados is another "Sweeper" that I have, as the fact he can also pack a punch. Although generally slower than Garchomp, he can hit with more power. Normally one of the first I send out, and one of the first I choose to heal. He can cover for Jolteon and Garchomp.

Jolteon/Electric/Volt Absorb/None
240-334/121-251/112-240/202-350/175-317/238-394

Thunder Fang
Last Resort
Thunder Wave
Thunder

Jolteon is used more as a status type pokemon. He will hit first most of the time, and paralyze the enemy pokemon. He has lower attack and defense than the rest of my party but no one else can paralyze other pokemon or even make them sleep etc. He will be great when fighting Flying and Steel types.

Houndoom/Dark-Fire/Flash Fire/None
260-354/166-306/94-218/202-350/148-284/175-317

Fire Fang
Faint Attack
Flamethrower
Crunch

Houndoom is really a "Sweeper" in my party, even though he is on the weaker side. He has high special attack, attack, and defense, which I find a great balance in when your looking for a "Sweeper". He is good against a lot of types including Grass, Ice, Bug, Steel, Psychic and Ghost. He can cover for Dusknoir,Garchomp and Gyarados.