• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What Pokemon Teams did you have on your Gen 7 playthroughs? Any good memories?

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
What Pokemon Teams did you have on your Gen 7 playthroughs throughout the region of Alola? Any great memories of the Pokemon that you've trained throughout the journey? Any Pokemon that in particular stood out?

4QREN5F.png

Sun, alongside with his team of Pokemon, is absolutely shocked that a seemingly nice girl like Moon loves and adores poison-types.

Come to think of it... there are a lot of good poison types and toxic stallers during this generation weren't there?

Last edited:

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
I have 4 teams:

Sun (main Alolan team/favorite):
-Litten/Torracat/Incineroar: favorite Alolan starter by far. I was fan of professional wrestling as a kid, I love cats, and Fire is my favorite Type: it was a match made in heaven. Its in game model made it look eager to fight. I was disappointed with it low Speed but I got used to it as all of it other stats were great. I think the moveset was Flare Blitz/Darkest Lariat/Cross Chop/Outrage. Was my "team leader" and fought against most of the important battles and was used to finish off important NPC's aces like Hau's Decidueye and Gladion's Silvally.

-Pikipek/Trumbeak/Toucannon: I'm a person who looks at leaks as I'm intrigued about movesets, stats, and, most importantly, unseen Pokémon. Trumbeak was decent and is possibly my favorite middle stage regional bird. But Toucannon had me in love. I loved how pissed off it looked & that it wasn't flying (the flying 3D models of most Pokémon are hit & miss for me). I've always caught the regional bird, so I was waiting to capture one ASAP. The fact that it got Rock Smash and Brick Break reminded me of Staraptor. It evolved at Hala's Grand Trial and made it an easy win. Then it evolved again right after the Electric Trial but before facing Guzma so it was nice to Beak Blast his Golsiopod and Ariados. Its final moveset was Beak Blast/Brick Break/Flame Charge/Return. My highlight was watching Kahili's go against mine.

-Grubbin/Charjabug/Vikavolt: I'm not one of those people who got swoon over by the aforementioned evolution line during the hype. I like Grubbin and Vikavolt, and love Charjabug, but they never stood out to me as something that I'd use. Come release day and I'm unsure about what Electric Type I'd use. I dislike Oricorio, Togedemaru and Alolem were far away, and I somehow forgot about Alola Raichu. So I was walking through the grass and encountered a Grubbin. Instantly remembered that it evolved into a Electric Type so I caught it. I was sort of worried about how I'd fight Totem Wishiwashi but then Grubbin evolved. Charjabug made my day. I love the cry and its moveset/stats which was unusual for my playstyle. I didn't know when it evolved but I didn't care because I preferred Charjabug to Vikavolt. Vikavolt was a little too slow for my taste but the firepower behind it had me settled. Final moveset was Thunderbolt/Bug Buzz/Energy Ball/Flash Cannon or Agility.

Mareanie/Toxapex: After completing the Water Trial I realized my entire team was weak to Rock, my next Trial and Grand Trial were Fire and Rock respectively, and I still needed a Water Type. I looked online and was mostly in a "meh" state with these Pokémon. I initially wanted Wishiwashi during prerelease hype but the gimmick wasn't as cool as I thought it was. I saw that there was a "hidden Pokémon" catchable back on Melemele so I went back & kept fishing for Corsola. Then the bittersweet S.O.S took forever. Then, after 47 encounters, Mareanie appeared. I liked the colors and dual typing so I instantly caught it. Its Merciless ability was fun to mess with. It helped with Totem Salazzle and, with the Eviolite, swept Olivia. Then, at Po Town, it evolved into a Toxapex. This thing was so bully and I loved it. It took super effective hits like it was nothing. Final moveset ended up as Liquidation/Poison Jab/Toxic/Infestation.

Bounsweet/Steenee/Tsareena: After completing the Grass Trial, I wanted to get a Grass Type. I wasn't a fan of Rowlet or Lurantis so I went with Bounsweet. Caught the the thing and evolved it instantly since it had a pitiful damage output. Then Steenee was decent with Stomp and Razor Leaf. Then it evolved after some battles before the second Grand Trial. Smacked up Olivia's Lycanroc and Hau's team. Liked how it was so dismissive of anything below it. Its final move set was Trop Kick, Hi Jump Kick, Acrobatics, and U turn.

Jangmo-o/Hakamo-o/Kommo-o: I was arriving on Poni and I didn't know who'd be my final team member. I usually use the same 6 Types in my team: Fire/Water/Grass/Electric/Flying/Dragon. Then the Jangmo-o encounter happened and I caught it. I went back to train him up against the Trial Captains. By then it was a Hakamo-o. I somehow got it to beat Totem Kommo-o. Then it evolved again against Mother Beast. Its moveset was the most flexible of my team except maybe Incineroar. Final moveset was Clanging Scales, Sky Uppercut, Flamethrower, and Poison Jab.

Overall loved this team. It was a slow start but they picked up the pace. Had fun with this more than any other gen 7 team.
I'll give the other 3 later

Minedreigon

A monument to all your sins
I have particularly fond memories of using a Palossand in Sun. Me and an irl friend were following all the Pokémon reveals up to SM’s release, and I remember the day when we both laid our eyes upon Palossand. She wore a puzzled look of disgust, and at that moment I knew I had to use one. It proved to be extremely fun.

In Ultra Sun, I used a shiny Grubbin I had found in Ultra Moon whilst trying to complete my Alola dex. I love bug types so I liked having a pretty decent early game bug again, especially one with such a gorgeous shiny in all 3 forms.

Italianbaptist

Informed Casual
If there's one Pokemon that defined my playthroughs this generation, it would have to be Ash-Greninja. Got it from the demo and took it through my first run of Sun where it helped me earn the title of champion. Leveled it up further in Moon and eventually Ultra Sun where it basically swept Giovanni's entire team. There was something extra satisfying about beating VG!Giovanni with Anime!Ash's Pokemon. Sitting pretty in my box at level 98 and going to give it a couple more Rare Candies very soon.

Achantion

Ice Type Enthousiastic
I've played through Moon, Sun and Ultra Sun with the following teams:

Moon
My initial playtrough and the team I liked the most out of the three.

I picked Rowlet for my starter and I remember thinking he was weak to everything in the beginning of the game. However ones it became a Decidueye my opinion drastically changed, it's a great Pokemon with a very fun move pool and decent enough stats for the main game. If I ever ply trough gen 7 again, I'm definitely picking this guy again as my starter.

I was sold on Salandit the moment GameFreak released that initial trailer of it, and I had been hoping he would be the pseudo of the gen (dreams that got crushed a few weeks later when Jangmo-O got revealed). I still think Salandit has one of the best designs and best animations of the entirety of Pokémon. Sadly Salazzle was not the evolution I was hoping for, as it seemed to ruin everything that I liked about Salandit. However I still liked using it as a glass canon, because wow, this thing died a lot.

Since I always try and go for a trifecta of Grass/Fire/Water core I needed a water Pokemon, and the choice was between Golisopod and Araquanid, I decided to go for Golisopod , which was not that bad of a decision. I remember this thing being incredibly tanky and a heavy hitter, a decent move pool and a blast too see on the screen. Samurai bug is one of my more favourite Designs of the generation, and one of the more reliable members of my team.

Mudsdale was the OG of my original playtrough. I don't think I need to explain why to anyone who used stamina Mudsdale in the main campaign. A fun and string move pool, decent design, incredible power and tankyness.

I got a Jangmo-O in wonder trade very early in the game, and I breeded one myself before the fourth trial. Very powerful (pseudo, so I should have expected it), but much like Salazzle, I wsn't fond of the later stages. Hakamo-O was great, but I'm not sold on the Kommo-O's design, it is starting to grow on me, but the earlier stages had so much more potential. (Salandit should have been the pseudo :mad:).

The last member was Minior, who I love design wise, but it was by far the lest reliable member on my team. To weak to do something without shell smash, and dead in the water defensively after a smash (while still not being strong enough most of the time).

Overal 4,5/6 team.

Sun
For my second playtrough I picked Sun, which was a lot less fun to use then my original Moon team.

The starter this time round was Litten, as opposed to many others, I do like Incineroar's looks, BUT I hated his movepool, he does learn a few fun moves but the levels are absurd, and you're stuck with less fun moves for 99% of the game. I missed my Rowlet the entire way trough the game, despite Incineroar being an objectively better Pokemon in-game.

My grass Pokemon this time around was the Bounsweet from the ingame trade. But this thing leveled up so quickly I barely got to use it (I like my team to be around the same levels). So yeah, I honstly don't really remember Tsareena because of that. Decent design, average movepool.

Araquanid was the cornerstone of this team. Not a single Pokemon I couldn't handle, and while this thing is basically 'Pick a water move and win' I really liked using it. This was a great generation for Bug types. Nothing bad to say about this guy.

Crabrawler was amazing early game, but dropped of in power so quickly he was nearly useless for half of the game. Crabominable was good when you got it, but I felt it was to frail for some reason, I feel no real urge to use this Pokemon again in a future playtrough.

Alolan Raichu was good,but suffered from the same issues as Minior, in being to weak without setup, and dead if you attempted setup. This generally only came in when Araquanid faced someting it couldn't handle and the last member of my team was out.

Lycanroc day, fun Pokemon. Bit of a disappointing moveset, but really nice design. I named it after my pet dog.

Overal 3/6 Team.

Ultra Sun
The least fun of the teams. I made some picks I wouldn't pick again.

Popplio line had a better movepool than the litten line, but I didn't really how Primarina looks and I ws once again missing Decidueye, which (while objectively) a lesser Pokemon, has a more fun movepool and way better looks. But hey, at least Primarina dishes out some hefty damage and is very reliable.

Dhelmise felt like discount Decidueye, which made me miss him even more.

Turtonator is one of those Pokemon's I really like based on it's looks, but it wasn't fun to use and it wasn't good. Suffered from the Minior-complex, but even worse.

Grubbin and Charjabug were great. Vikavolt was boss, next.

Alolan Sandshrew and Sandslash is most likely my favourite member of the team. I'm an ice-type enthusiastic and this was a good one.

Stuffel and Bewear are really good Pokemon, but I didn't like using them for some reason.

Overal 2,5/6.

General
I tried out all other non mentioned Pokemons in between, these are the ones I enjoyed using.
  • Decidueye
  • Vikavolt
  • Oricorio
  • Lycanroc
  • Mudsdale
  • Araquanid
  • Golisopod
  • Palossand
  • Mimikyu
  • Drampa
  • Nagandel
  • Alolan Sandslsh
  • Alolan Ninetales
  • Alolan Marowak
  • Alolan Muk

Storm the Lycanroc

Oshawott Squad
My playthrough of Ultra Sun has got to be the most memorable one I've had this generation. I had a rotating team that inevitably helped me complete the Alola Pokedex.

Some of the Pokemon that stood out are:
Decidueye
Incineroar
A. Raichu
Toucannon
Lycanroc (Midday)
Mudsdale
Tauros
A. Marowak
Salazzle
A. Sandslash
A. Ninetails
Carracosta
Passimian
Solgaleo
Necrozma

Erron Black

The Outlaw
My teams were(one was on Moon the other two were on Sun, and the Incineroar team was a pure Shiny team!):

Team 1:
Primarina
Ribombee
Lycanroc(Midnight)
Bewear
Alolan Sandslash
Alolan Marowak

Team 2:
Decidueye
Golisopod
Crabominable
Komala
Silvally(Dark)
Alolan Raichu

Team 3:
Incineroar
Toucannon
Araquanid
Lurantis
Mimikyu
Alolan Golem

Then my team for Ultra Moon was:
Alolan Ninetales
Toxapex
Kommo-o
Naganadel
Shiinotic
Lycanroc-Dusk

Still need to do a run of Ultra Sun. Will probably end up using:
Mudsdale
Alolan Muk
Vikavolt
Passimian
Wishiwashi
Salazzle

ebevan91

I only used 7th gen Pokémon for Sun and 5/6 were from 7th gen in Ultra Moon.

Sun:

Primarina
Lycanroc
Vikavolt
Lurantis
Salazzle
Passimian

Ultra Moon:

Incineroar
Toucannon
Crabominable
Toxapex
Tsareena
Malamar

I restarted Sun today and I plan to use Pokemon from multiple gens this time. Except those from Kanto. I’m sick of seeing them.

Orphalesion

My very first play through:

Primarina
Alolan Ninetales
Ribombee
Mimikyu
Palossand
Bewear

It was just vital for my well being to have four fairy types on my team.

When I initially played through on Moon, I used:

Primarina - Probably one of my favorite starters of all time
Ribombee - I love that we finally get a decent, early bug type that can sweep and hold it's on.
Alolan Sandslash - I loved the design, though I didn't like how slow it was.
Alolan Marowak - Same as above, though I used it more than Sandslash.
Alolan Raticate - I loved the design and typing, and how quick and strong it was.
Mudsdale - I enjoyed this pokemon so much throughout my journey.

I've used these various other pokemon in my multiple other playthroughs:
Tsareena
Jolteon
Snorlax
Incineroar
Decidueye
Slowbro
Lycanroc
Alolan Muk
Salazzle
Toucannon
Starmie
Magnezone
Alolan Exeggutor
Granbull
Kangaskhan

BR4VE

Omega Ruby Base on Route 118, Right Side Beach
I'm almost through Ultra Moon and have come across competitive bred Pokemon through forums and giveaways traded to me, which are Lv. 1 in my PC ready to be e.v. trained....

Here's my UM play through team that I 5 ivd and egg move bred on oras

Alakazam
Umbreon
Vileploom
Misdreavus
Clawitzer
Dralgage

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
When I initially played through on Moon, I used:

Primarina - Probably one of my favorite starters of all time
Ribombee - I love that we finally get a decent, early bug type that can sweep and hold it's on.
Alolan Sandslash - I loved the design, though I didn't like how slow it was.
Alolan Marowak - Same as above, though I used it more than Sandslash.
Alolan Raticate - I loved the design and typing, and how quick and strong it was.
Mudsdale - I enjoyed this pokemon so much throughout my journey.

I've used these various other pokemon in my multiple other playthroughs:
Tsareena
Jolteon
Snorlax
Incineroar
Decidueye
Slowbro
Lycanroc
Alolan Muk
Salazzle
Toucannon
Starmie
Magnezone
Alolan Exeggutor
Granbull
Kangaskhan
Vivillon and a debatable Leavanny/Scolipede

M.P.

Retired
Moon team:
Decidueye
Magnezone
Crabominable
Mudsdale
Salazzle
Golisopod

I originally planned to use only Gen VII Pokemon. I was using Magneton as a substitute for Alolan Golem during first half of the game, but it eventually proved itself so useful I couldn't kick it out of the team: it eventually became my team's "ace". I also wasn't planning to use Crabominable, but ended up keeping it on my team as Kommo-o was obtainable too late in the game. Decidueye honestly wasn't as useful as my previous starters, but I enjoyed using it nevertheless. Golisopod was somewhat annoying to use due to it's ability.

Ultra Sun team:
Incineroar
Gengar
Araquanid
Lurantis
Alolan Golem
Flygon

My original plan was to use Incineroar (Litten was my initial choice for Moon, before deciding to use Rowlet instead), Gengar (my favorite Pokemon, that I hadn't used in my team for some time) and my Moon team "rejects" Alolan Golem and Kommo-o. I ended up not using Kommo-o, for the same reason as in Moon: I picked Flygon instead. I do not have as fond memories of this team compared to my Moon team (probably because I didn't enjoy Ultra Sun as much as Moon), but I liked using all these Pokemon. Araquanid in particular turned out to be much more useful than Golisopod was, thanks to having better ability.

nickdt

Originally, i was team Rowlet. But after opening the game for the first and being at the point to choose my starter, i decide to go for Popplio instead because of the amount of hate it got and i imagined not many people would pick it and boy, it didn't disappoint.

Sun:
Primarina was really solid battler on who i could rely in difficult situations and i had the best experience using the line that with Litten or Rowlet line, i was enjoying using Primarina so much she even crawled into my top 5 favorite Pokemon off all time.

Lycanroc (Midday) was the second Pokemon i obtained. While it didn't got to shine as much as my other team members, it solo'd Kahili in the league.

Mudsdale was the true MVP of the team, tanking those hits with the stamina ability and participated in the most Trials and Grand trials because of its ability and singlehandedly took down Oliva and Kukui at the league.

The moment Turtonator was revealed, it wanted to use it, but it didn't do as well as i hoped, because it was less bulky than expected. Despite that, i decided to stick with it and with 3 Pokemon weak to Grass, it was a decent teammember for the coverage.

Togedemaru was a surprise pick on my team. Although its my favorite pikaclone because of its design, i wasn't initially planning to use it. Because of its speed, it didhold its own surprisingly well.

My last teammember was also not planned. While fishing in a specific spot to fill my dex, a Red, shiny Dhelmise popped up. While the design is ugly, i decided to look up the moveset for Dhelmise (Which i hadn't done for the other pokemon), to see if the ugly shiny design warranted usage and seeing all the coverage moves on it, i decided to use it. It eventually is my least used teammember, because it was caught so late. Despite that, it did well against Hapu.

PokeMon2.0

Cramorant is too cute for words!
Moon original
Primarina
Tsareena
Toucannon
Salazzle
Alolan Dugtrio
Gumshoos

Ultra Moon original
Incineroar
Tsareena
Swanna
Alolan Dugtrio
Noivern
Oricorio

Yureishi

Decidueye, Passimian, Palossand, Vikavolt and Drampa, with these five basically being my team on Sun. I kept the Master Ball for Tapu Fini and caught/added it on the team post-league to complete the post-game as well.

RedJirachi

Veteran member
Pokemon Sun:
  • Decidueye. Of the starters, it was the one who appealed to me the most. Rowlet is adorable
  • Zygarde: 50%. Admittedly it's a bit cheap, but I wanted some sort of pay-off to collecting all those parts and I like its Flying-hitting Ground moves
  • Alola Muk: Because it was my favorite of the new Alolan forms and Poison/Dark is a great typing, also I needed something against fairies
  • Alola Raichu: I got Pichu early on and I liked the new Raichu, I wanted to try it
  • Araquanid: Water Bubble made her very useful as a Water type, which I always try to get at least one
  • Blue Minior: I wanted this color. With HMs no longer a thing, I didn't need a Pokemon that could learn Fly and was able to choose a Flying type because I wanted to. The unique ability was very fun, though with Acrobatics as my best Flying type move for it there was some limitations

Drummerdude

Moon
- Incineroar: It just has so much personality. Plus I don't care if a Fire Starter stands on 2 legs.
- Vikavolt: Cool design. I just wish I could have used it more rather than Charjabug.
- Crabominable: See above. It somehow got worse upon evolving.
- Lurantis: Was really bad as a Fomantis but when it evolved it became one of my best.
- Oranguru: I was going to use Palossand but at the time my whole team was slow and weak. I also lacked a Special attacker which Oranguru filled nicely.
- Mimikyu: I needed a fast Pokemon on my team so badly. Plus it has one of the best in game abilities ever.

Ultra Sun
- Primarina: I had never used Popplio before so it made logical sense to use it.
- Dusk Lycanroc: Never used Lycanroc and I really liked the orange coloring. Was very fragile.
- Tsareena: I traded over a Bounsweet egg from Moon but didn't realize it can barely do any damage until it evolves. Once it evolve though it was great.
- Noivern: This thing man. I had to baby it for so long. Once it finally evolved I really liked it though.
- Palossand: I finally got to use it! It was not good.
- Turtonator: Oh man this thing is amazing. Shell Trap saved my tail too many times to count. Ah the memories...

gwen-watson

A Marvel Baby
Moon Team:

1. Ami/Primarina: My baby. My precious baby. I always wanted a Water/Fairy starter, and not only was Primarina gorgeous to me, but she saved my hide too many times to count.

2. Stevie/Mudsdale: Initially, I didn't like Mudsdale's design. But bless her Stamina ability. She could take hits like nothing else. Plus, she dished them out pretty viciously, too. She also had Adamant nature. I love Mudsdale now and I recommend anyone use it in their run.

3. Venus/Tsareena: My lean, mean, kicking machine. She was also Adamant natured, and she was great as a revenge killer. She also worked well with Stevie when it came to switching.

4. Elektra/Salazzle: YES. Ever since I saw her design in the initial Totem battle, I fell in love. She was frail, but she was also a great asset for my team.

5. Wednesday/Mimikyu: I love Mimikyu, and once I got this baby on my team, she wrecked everything in her path. Her ability also helped scout moves and opponents. It also gave her an opportunity to set up with Hone Claws.

6. Padfoot/Meganium: He was the only boy on the team, caught him with the QR Scanner. He was more of a tank than anything, mainly sponged hits while providing Toxic, Body Slam paralysis, and Leech Seed for non-Grass types. He also knew Giga Drain for recovery.

Ultra Moon Team:

1. Bastian/Primarina: A male this time. I couldn't not pick Primarina this time around. I love it too much. He was tankier than Serafina, though, since he had a nature that boosted his Sp. Defense.

2. Stevie/Mudsdale: Another returning member. See above for why she's on the team.

3. Grimm/Alolan-Muk: I honestly got him to prepare for Ultra Necrozma, but it turns out he's better than I expected! Tanky, plus he could dish out hits with the rest of them. Needless to say, Alolan-Muk warmed me up to the Grimer line considerably.

4. Castiel/Noivern: Admittedly very frail, particularly during the middle of my journey. It was difficult to raise him since he fell so much, even with Eviolite equipped. But, I didn't wanna give up on Castiel, and my persistence paid off when he evolved. Defensively, he's still frail, but now he's more than happy to defend his teammates with Draco Meteor and Air Slash!

5. Nyles/Sylveon: My favorite Fairy and my favorite Eeveelution made it to the Alola team. Mainly tanking and covering weaknesses with Shadow Ball and Psyshock, but he had Calm Mind and Moonblast to duke it out with the dragons.

6. Polaris/Magnezone: Ever since Unova, I've gotten a Magnemite to stow away for my electric user. He's not as fast, but he dishes out the hits. Plus, his typing makes him naturally tankier. He was also great coverage against Totem Araquanid.

shoz999

Back when Tigers used to smoke.
Here's the team that won me the Pokemon League in my first playthrough of USUM.

Decidueye - Don't know about you but he is a beast against special attackers in competitive. However, I really enjoyed my moments of having a Rowlet in the story. I still remember the time when my character looked proudly in Decidueye's eyes at the summit of the Pokemon League. That was a very special moment.

Dusk Lycanroc - This one I got through a Mystery Gift. To sum him up. WHOA! HIS TOUGH CLAWS LIFEORB ACCELEROCK IS FREAKING AMAZING! It's a very common way to one-shot Alolan Ninetails. He is a freaking awesome addition to my team!

Alolan Raichu - I'm gonna be honest here. As a Pichu, he was easily the weakest of my team. As a Pikachu, he even had a hard time going up against Totem Araquanid, easily one of the hardest Totem Bosses for my team. But as an Alolan Raichu, he's a strong powerhouse. He's fairly good in competitive with Focus Sash and Nasty Plot.

Golisopod - When I first saw Golisopod, he is easily one of the coolest Pokemon I've ever seen and he packs such a huge punch. I still remember chasing the little Wimpod with Tauros, that was pretty funny.

Mimikyu - On my first try, I caught a Mimikyu and too my surprise it was Adamant Nature so that was some huge good luck right there. Mimikyu's Z-move is such a hilariously good move, it's even more hilarious in the anime.

Kommo-O - Caught him late in the game and was that last Pokemon I caught for my team. He's definitely a huge power-house on my team with Kommium-Z unless some fairy-types comes in. Very useful in Double Battles and helped me won the Pokemon League.