• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What Pokemon would you like to see get buffed?

Mr.Fiend

Everything stinks

CHETTHEFAN

I want octillery to get a gigantmax form where he gets turned into a huge tank like his original concept art. I kind of feel like his current power level is really low. He is one of my favorite pokemon from gen 2 and he never gets the love. I was wanting his old art to be his mega evo but we never got that :(

hopefully , they don't abandon mega evolutions entirely, because there are so many pokemon that would be viable if they were given the option.

Zaide

If anything, that would hurt meganium more than help it.
I don't see how, considering it gains immunity to dragon type moves (alongside which dragon tail would work well to phase out locked SD/DD Outrage users), and resistance to fighting and dark type moves, which are two of the most common offensive types. Also becomes neutral to bug type moves. Obviously gains a weakness to steel, and 4x to poison, but I take the added resistances over the added weaknesses any day of the week.

I seriously don't see how adding what is arguably a top 3 type in the game to what is arguably a bottom 3 type in the game would hurt it more than help it.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Meganium doesn't even get a single fairy type move, Fairy makes no sense for it. I'm not denying it needs a bit of a buff if GameFreak don't just keep it out of Galar altogether, but there are lots of better methods to do so than giving it a Fairy typing. Fairy is not a bad typing, but it doesn't combine greatly with Grass. Even if you give Meganium Fairy moves, there is a lot of overlap resisting Grass and Fairy. Fire, Steel, and Poison types all resist those two types. Let's be real, Fairy alone wouldn't help Meganium significantly in its role at all, not enough to make it viable.

As for how to buff Meganium, I'd start with a different hidden ability. Leaf Guard is just not great compared to what the other Johto starters get. Maybe something like Grass Pelt or a new ability that increases the amount of HP healed by healing moves used by Meganium. Flower Veil would be an amazing ability for Meganium too.

Last edited:

Luthor

I'd like a buffed version of Sky uppercut (that can hit flying types for at least neutral damage) to buff a few fighting types. It's a move that is fairly rare so it would only buff a few pokemon.

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
Not a pokemon, but can they buff the Ice type please?? Can they let Hail actually give them an advantage? 50% damage increase to ice moves, or increase defense for ice pokemon, or both.

Also, let them resist Flying or water or both.

They should also get a buff similar to how grass, ghost, and dark types did (grass immune to powder moves, ghost immune to trapping moves, and dark immune to prankster moves).

anjunajake

you were the sun & moon to me
I think an ice buff is more than reasonable. There's no reason hail should have zero benefit to them when other weather benefits all the other types. Now that I'm thinking more about why, that's actually really messed up towards ice types, lol. And wow, the only resist they have are ice itself?! WHAT A JOKE.

I'm thinking mayyyybe it's cause in gen 1, they were one of Dragons only weakness so they figured it would be good enough offensively to check dragons? Idk the logic behind it but they really deserve a buff. I think Ice, Flying, and Water are great resistances to add on. Or at least 2/3 or them. Justice for ice types in gen 8!

Luthor

I think an ice buff is more than reasonable. There's no reason hail should have zero benefit to them when other weather benefits all the other types. Now that I'm thinking more about why, that's actually really messed up towards ice types, lol. And wow, the only resist they have are ice itself?! WHAT A JOKE.

I'm thinking mayyyybe it's cause in gen 1, they were one of Dragons only weakness so they figured it would be good enough offensively to check dragons? Idk the logic behind it but they really deserve a buff. I think Ice, Flying, and Water are great resistances to add on. Or at least 2/3 or them. Justice for ice types in gen 8!

That is fair. Personally, I think a good start would be more ice typed status moves. Ice types currently have Haze, Mist, Aurora Veil & Hail. I'd like an ice type version of Moonlight, Soak, and Iron Defence. Just to help a few ice types battle in a new way.

anjunajake

Yeah that would be great too, considering how many common weakness they have. Maybe a move called "Refrigerate" that either works like Moonlight, restoring HP (increased even more so under hail), or works like Iron Defense and maybe raises both their defense two stages. Also, give the move Glaciate to more ice types other than just Kyruem, change Blizzard into an ice type Heat Wave (95 BP, 90% accurate, spread move), and create a new 120 BP/70 % accuracy ice move called Polar Vortex instead.

Raise the power of Icicle Crash to at least 90 BP, or create a new, reliable high power physical ice move.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Yeah that would be great too, considering how many common weakness they have. Maybe a move called "Refrigerate" that either works like Moonlight, restoring HP (increased even more so under hail), or works like Iron Defense and maybe raises both their defense two stages. Also, give the move Glaciate to more ice types other than just Kyruem, change Blizzard into an ice type Heat Wave (95 BP, 90% accurate, spread move), and create a new 120 BP/70 % accuracy ice move called Polar Vortex instead.

Raise the power of Icicle Crash to at least 90 BP, or create a new, reliable high power physical ice move.
A lot of that would be broken, and Icicle Crash really does not need a buff. 85 base power with a 30% flinching rate is already really strong, it's the most powerful flinching move in the game aside from Sky Attack. Blizzard does not need a change, it's a powerful spread damage move that can't ever miss under hail, it ignores accuracy modifiers, and does a freeze roll on both opponents. Offensively ice really doesn't need anything, it's one of the most powerful offensive types around, there's a good reason it's so popular as a hidden power type. Raising both defences by two stages is just broken. Ice is just held back by being a poor defensive typing and Ice Beam (and Ice Punch to a lesser extent) being available to so many non-Ice types.

Last edited:

anjunajake

Maybe they don't need the help offensively, I'll give you that. But certainly defensively. I don't think a move like that would be broken with how many weaknesses they have. You already have moves out there like Iron Defense (Steel already has sooooo many resistances and this move hasn't broken any of the Pokemon who have access to it), and Quiver Dance (arguably one of the best boosting moves in the game from a typing who also suffers from many common weaknesses. Didn't break any of the Pokemon who have access to it, if anything it just made them actually Viable. Come to think of it, give us an Ice Type Quiver dance!) Pulls that move would probably be geared more towards the defensive types anyway. Now if they're going to tweak the type chart, like adding a flying and water resist, then yeah maybe we don't need that new boosting move. But Ice certainly needs SOMETHING.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Raising four stat boosts at once is insane. Iron Defence is focused, it only boosts physical defence so the user is still wide open to special attacks. Getting three stat stages at once with a move is already bordering on broken, Quiver Dance gets away with it because it's mostly on frail pokémon that have a harder time setting up, Volcarona isn't bulky on the physical side at all, has a 4x rock weakness, and its offensive typing leaves quite a lot of holes coverage-wise, yet it's still popular largely because of Quiver Dance.

Did I ever claim Ice doesn't need anything? I think it needs something, but you're proposing disproportionate measures. All it needs is a few minor things. One extra resistance or so, skipping recharge turns on Ice Burn and Freeze Shock in hail, some primal version of hail for Kyurem so hail has even a shiver of hope of viability between primals, and a wider availability of Aurora Veil.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Let's be fair, Aurora Veil was a really nice buff, and would have been better had Ninetales not been the only one able to set it up in a decent manner. I'd have liked to see what would've happened had something like Abomasnow received Aurora Veil. Ninetales and Sandslash can run well together when backed up by some other pokémon, Sandslash is a deadly flinch-hax troll with solid damage in hail, it gets Icicle Crash, Iron Head, Rock Slide, and just enough speed to outspeed Modest Scarf Lele in hail even with an Adamant nature. Freeze-Dry in gen 6 was also really nice, even if it's spread rather poorly among Ice types (why don't pokémon like Froslass get it?). Freeze-Dry is like a rain team's kryptonite, it often hits like half of their team for 4x super effective damage. Ludicolo, Swampert, Pelipper, Kingdra... Gastrodon and Gyarados are there sometimes too. It's just that some other Ice types just lack that extra nudge to bring them into viability. Lapras for instance is a great anti-rain pokémon. Freeze-Dry, Water Absorb, decent enough bulk. And Freeze-Dry + water is nearly unresisted in the game, only Dry Skin Jynx, Shedinja, and Thick Fat Dewgong and Walrein resist that combo.

anjunajake

Aurora Veil and the addition of Slush Rush as an ability were great, and huge step in the right direction, don't get me wrong. But they weren't enough to save the typing. As you said, Ninetales is the only Pokemon who can manage to set it up decently. Ninetales/AlolaSlash can be an effective and fun combo, but we're likely not even getting those Pokemon back this gen as they're Alola forms. Hopefully we get some new ice types with those moves/abilities. I'm really hopeful for a new viable hail user (and I still stand by what I said about them NEEDING to buff hail). Freeze-dry is fantastic too. But once again, it's limited to sooooo few Pokemon who can effectily use it. Give it to more Pokemon, maybe even buff the BP a little.

As things stand now, you're almost always better off using a water Pokemon that knows ice beam or hidden power ice than an actual Ice type Pokemon. They're just sucha liability. I just want that to change.

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
Sorry to revive this older thread, but it was the best place for my comment:

I wish they would rework Flower Gift. If it gave a boost to special attack instead of attack, it would make Cherrim a little bit more useful. Not too sure why it boosts attack.

Sceptile Leaf Blade

Nighttime Guardian
Sorry to revive this older thread, but it was the best place for my comment:

I wish they would rework Flower Gift. If it gave a boost to special attack instead of attack, it would make Cherrim a little bit more useful. Not too sure why it boosts attack.
I've thought of this too, but I think the problem is that all Drought pokémon not called Groudon are special attackers. If you have that easy access to the sunlight getting another 50% boost to the special attack is ridiculous, it'd be like having a Charizard Y with an extra Choice Specs boost. Having to set up the sun in another way and then using a physically attacking fire type like Charizard X, Blaziken, or Arcanine, or going with physical Drought users, like running physical Ninetales (which it can do, it gets Flare Blitz), balances it out a bit. Remember that Cherrim is first and foremost a doubles support pokémon, it's not destined for single battles. It gets a lot of supportive moves like Helping Hand, Heal Pulse. Getting an automatic 50% boost to two different stats for your entire side is incredibly strong, it's vastly stronger than for instance Charjabug's 30% boost to special attack that only applies to allies but not to itself, and the sun requirement is the only thing that holds it back, but if it had flawless synergy with Drought pokémon like Charizard Y it might quickly become broken. Mega Charizard Y with an extra 50% damage output on its Heat Wave and Solar Beam would be insane.

Fairy Queen

Lover of the Fairy type
I've thought of this too, but I think the problem is that all Drought pokémon not called Groudon are special attackers. If you have that easy access to the sunlight getting another 50% boost to the special attack is ridiculous, it'd be like having a Charizard Y with an extra Choice Specs boost. Having to set up the sun in another way and then using a physically attacking fire type like Charizard X, Blaziken, or Arcanine, or going with physical Drought users, like running physical Ninetales (which it can do, it gets Flare Blitz), balances it out a bit. Remember that Cherrim is first and foremost a doubles support pokémon, it's not destined for single battles. It gets a lot of supportive moves like Helping Hand, Heal Pulse. Getting an automatic 50% boost to two different stats for your entire side is incredibly strong, it's vastly stronger than for instance Charjabug's 30% boost to special attack that only applies to allies but not to itself, and the sun requirement is the only thing that holds it back, but if it had flawless synergy with Drought pokémon like Charizard Y it might quickly become broken. Mega Charizard Y with an extra 50% damage output on its Heat Wave and Solar Beam would be insane.

I agree, it could be seen as broken when paired with someone like Mega Charizard Y (though Cherrim debuted well before it, so the problem should have been corrected then). However, I feel as though Cherrim is designed to be a great sun based pokemon, and should thus be represented as such, with a boost to special attack so it could function as the doubles support it is meant to, but also in singles if one prefers. Keep in mind that Cherrim isn't a great pokemon, it doesn't have great stats, and being a grass type, it can easily be taken advantage of by a fire type. I feel like the solution to this isn't to make Flower Gift near useless (or hard to use I should say, as there are very few pokemon that can be paired alongside Cherrim and reap the benefits). Cherrim is supposed to be a great sun support pokemon, but right now it isn't serving that role well, at least in my opinion (and the fact that you almost never see it on a sun team).

Ophie

Salingerian Phony

I think it's more that in Generation I, most of the Ice-types were also Water-types. I think the intent was to have Water-types able to fight Grass-type Pokémon. They'd still take super-effective damage from Grass attacks, but they could fight back with powerful Ice Beams and Blizzards augmented by STAB. Note that the Ice-type's weaknesses of Fire and Rock were covered by the Water-type, leaving Fighting as the only type Ice is weak to they'd be at a disadvantage against.

In other words, the Ice-type wasn't really meant to stand on its own as a type, but paired up with the Water-type. Then you got Jynx at a time when the Psychic-type was grossly overpowered, and you got Articuno at a time when there were no strong Rock-type moves.

A lot of the type matchups and their viability makes sense if you consider Pokémon, back in Generation I, not as a game focused on multiplayer battling the way it is now, but as single-player RPGs that happen to have a head-to-head battling aspect. The Poison-type has a lot of resistances and only one super-effective type because their role is as Team Rocket Grunts' Pokémon--they're supposed to be a test of how well you can exploit the type matchup chart without straining you too much. In turn, Grass has a lot of weaknesses because it's frequently paired up with the Poison-type, which negates its weaknesses to Poison and Bug (and Ground with the other way around). The Rock-type has resistances to Normal and Flying but a lot of other weaknesses because Brock is meant to be a stopping point for players who won't take advantage of weaknesses and resistances--it's a weak type on purpose because Brock is the first major boss and should thus be easy to overcome once you understand what to do. The Dragon-type gets a lot of resistances and was overpowered until the Fairy-type showed up because it's a type used by endgame characters--they should be overpowered because the hardest characters to beat use them.