• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What qualities main characters need to have for you to consider them successful?

PokemonBattleFanatic-

Hardcore Paul Fan
A compromise might be to have more non-Ash centric episodes and focus on older characters whether it's former traveling companions or CODs. Maybe have an episode here and there that shows Misty hanging out at the Cerulean Gym, Brock working as a doctor, May doing contests and so on. They wouldn't have to meet up with Ash or even mention him but it would be a nice gesture towards fans of the previous region's characters and show that Ash isn't the center of the Pokemon universe and if you're not in his presence you essentially don't exist.

They did this in Pokemon Chronicles then stopped after that,the writers were planning on making an episode towards the end of DP showing Paul's rematch with Brandon but canceled it due to a lot fans not liking Paul at the time.

Kaiser-Bisharp

They did this in Pokemon Chronicles then stopped after that,the writers were planning on making an episode towards the end of DP showing Paul's rematch with Brandon but canceled it due to a lot fans not liking Paul at the time.

Really, shame d*** shame.

But for the thread:
1. Not a Mary-Stu!!!
2. Has a life goal no matter how big or small
3. Firm belief in his/her morals
4. Not have a flat personality
5. Does not have BS reasoning for what he/she does
6. Character flaws/ticks
7. Protective of what he cares about most
8. Strive to better themselves
9. Thoughtful of others
10. There creative, and not have 20-30 variations of one or two technique/moves

Last edited:

DatsRight

* Have vibrant character traits that play into the story:
They must have a decent set of positive and negative traits that make them interesting. They can develop over time, so long as the show doesn't forget their base personality (character development ISN'T turning someone into a Purity Sue). For their flaws they must be developed by the plot and they must be called out or punished. For their positive traits, they must have positive effect on things to be seen as such and recognised. Actions have consequences must be a recurring plot line.

* Must be effective to the plot:
While I don't mind filler characters, a character that is designed to have a big part in the plot must have a meaningful role. If they are a hero, they must accomplish things and prove their competence. If they are villains, they must foil the heroes and give them enough threat to prove said competence. A character that is forced into the plot meaninglessly without accomplishing much will get on the audiences' nerves and be considered superfluous or even harmful to the plot. Please note that a character who has good or bad things HAPPEN TO THEM isn't the same as this quality.

*Chemistry with the rest of the show:
The character must have the ability to bounce off of at least one or two other characters in a developed way. This is more than just a few running gags. This interaction must help develop on both sides' characterisation and make them more interesting and developed. If they are friends they must show blatant care and bond with each other. If they are rivals or enemies their antagonism must be developed. Avoid forced or shallow relationships.

* Must have SOME gratification in watching their role:
A bit of a personal preference, but I tend to prefer characters who have worked hard enough to make some sort of difference in the plot. The 'winners vs losers' plot is funny in doses, but it dumbs down the plot after a while. A winner that always wins without having to even try will not seem competent or sympathetic, while a loser that never succeeds in progressing or having effect on the plot will seem static (and border on depressing in time). I want to see a character work and strive to accomplish something. PROVE THEIR WORTH. I want someone to root for, and it doesn't necessarily have to be the same person over and over.

The more I think about these, the more I think XY has failed in a lot of regards to them.

Last edited:

Mrs. Oreo

Banned
A compromise might be to have more non-Ash centric episodes and focus on older characters whether it's former traveling companions or CODs.

We need a new Chronicles series for something like that I think since the main show focuses on Ash's adventure. But as much as I'd like seeing what Ash's old friends are up to, I don't think we'll actually get to see what Misty, May, Dawn and the others are doing since continuity in this series is pretty rare. :[

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
Dialogue

If dialogue is too forced or out of place, then the character will be a chore to get through. Having generic dialogue like "Never give up!" suddenly instilling hope is just forced. Professor X saying "If you allow yourself to feel it, embrace it, it will make you more powerful than you ever imagined. It's the greatest gift we have: to bear their pain without breaking. And it comes from the most human part of us: hope." would resonate much better.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Professor X saying "If you allow yourself to feel it, embrace it, it will make you more powerful than you ever imagined. It's the greatest gift we have: to bear their pain without breaking. And it comes from the most human part of us: hope." would resonate much better.

But why does the anime need deep, dramatic dialogue when its target audience are young children? It seems unnecessary to complicate such a simple thing.

U.N. Owen

In Brightest Day, In Blackest Night ...
But why does the anime need deep, dramatic dialogue when its target audience are young children? It seems unnecessary to complicate such a simple thing.

Point is, say a variation of one phrase or say one deep and meaningful proverb. Don't repeat it so many times people over the age of eight begin to sleep.

Aegiscalibur

Add Witty Title Here
Interesting character =/= commercially successful character

They certainly never complicated the thing with plot either, but some people still seem to want one. It's the same with the dialogue. Of course it's a total pipe dream, but the point stands.

DatsRight

I don't think it has to be perpetually deep dialogue, but it has to be entertaining dialogue. One of XY Ash's problems was that almost everything he said was generic goody goody quips, especially in the dub. Ash's voice and dialogue used to vent a certain character to him, he could be sassy or childlike, and was capable of funny lines and snark, now he just sounds bland to listen to unless his super nicey pep talks have some proper meaning to the plot. Imagine Ash trying to be verbally funny now:

"Serena, I'm home." *laugh track*
"What?...Already?" *laugh track*
"......Yes." *uproarious laugh track*

Wednesdayz

Meowth fanatic
The anime needs better characterization when it comes to how the cast is portrayed, including meaningful interactions between characters. Stuff like Dawn and Brock ignoring each other in virtually every Sinnoh episode doesn't fly for long.

Mrs. Oreo

Banned

Even tho the show is for kids, I don't see anything wrong with it having dialogue that's more mature and well thought out, in the dub at least since it seems to me that the Japanese version's dialogue is already less sappy than the English version's dialogue.

Leonhart

Imagineer
Even tho the show is for kids, I don't see anything wrong with it having dialogue that's more mature and well thought out

There's nothing wrong with it, but it's not something that I'd expect. Just by looking at the newest episodes, I can tell that the anime probably isn't going to provide too much serious dialogue anytime soon, at least not involving Satoshi.

matt0044

There's nothing wrong with it, but it's not something that I'd expect. Just by looking at the newest episodes, I can tell that the anime probably isn't going to provide too much serious dialogue anytime soon, at least not involving Satoshi.

I don't really care for serious dialogue so much as banter that's more lively and fun. This is something I feel 4kids did very well compared to their later dubs where they get too loose in adapting or TPCi where there's too less adapting at times (or at least clumsily attempts at it).

Alloutℯ

Banned
In terms of Ash's friends, they just need more development more frequently especially the sidekick guys because they tend to do very little compared to the girls and Ash.

Pokegirl Fan~

Liko>>>>>Ash
For me they need to be proactive and not just pushed into the background then used whenever they have an episode that focuses on them. They also can't have the spotlight in their focus episodes taken away from them by another character as it'll lessen the impact of the development they received in the episode like how Ash (or someone else) frequently interfered in a Serena focused episode when she could have saved herself or participated in something herself (like in the Rhyhorn racing episode).

In terms of Ash's friends, they just need more development more frequently especially the sidekick guys because they tend to do very little compared to the girls and Ash.

Well the guys who follow Ash almost never have interesting goals to start with, so it's understandable why the show doesn't focus on them much. The girls are so much better as eye candy too.

PsychoBoost

Carbon Dioxide
I think they need to have more ships between companions sometimes...

Especially since Ash is reluctant about that kind of thing.

The male companions could do with development generally, but due to closer relationships etc. they often fall away.. Also, developing relationships and less easy battles could be better than some of Serena's arc, they had basically a similar relationship to Ash throughout.. In addition they had a battle arc that went nowhere, and the performances could be similar. Dynamic characters can be useful for colourful and dramatic episodes..

lemoncatpower

Cynical Optimist
honestly seems like UN owen is on the spot and I couldn't write anything close to anything as well as that so I just agree with him lol.

Shayuin

Banned
Main characters need to make regular progress, no regression crap or one step forward, two steps back stuff happening. They also need better dialogue and scenes to themselves where they overcome their shortcomings.