• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What starter did you choose in Sun/Moon and why?

What starter did you choose in Sun/Moon and why?

• Rowlet

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • Popplio

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Litten

Votes: 8 22.2%

• Total voters

FloatzieDPPT

playing Version X
I chose Rowlet because I usually don't choose grass types and i wanted to change things up this time around.

OshyHikari

c l a r i t y
I’m obviously in the minority, as Popplio was my choice from the moment they were first revealed, not to mention I consider Rowlet one of the most overrated Pokémon ever. Primarina really does a great job in the main story, not having any particular bad matchups aside from Team Skull and two of the Trials.

Leonhart

Imagineer
I really liked Nyabby (Litten) and I had pretty much made up my mind on selecting it as my Starter Pokemon even before I'd seen its evolved forms. I like the other two Alola Starters to some extent, but not quite as much as Nyabby.

I don't have a 3DS/3DS XL/2DS/New 3DS/New 3DS XL/New 2DS XL, but some lady at my daycare had one of these with Pokémon Sun. She chose a Popplio but I don't know if it evolved into a Primarina...

zolios

Well, by now I chose all three since I did 4 Alola playthroughs so far. However the one I chose for my first playthrough was Rowlet and it's still my favorite of the three. I just loved the design and I also usually prefer Grass starters so it wasn't a hard decision to pick it as my starter for my first playthrough. I also didn't love any of the fully evolved Alola starters back then but Decidueye was the one I liked the most so that was another reason to go with Rowlet. And now in 2022 the gap between Rowlet and the other two is even bigger since Decidueye has a new regional form that I absolutely love and also prefer over the original one.

Ignition

We are so back Zygardebros
Litten since it’s a Fire Type red and black cat all of which are my favorites of their respective categories

Pokefan_1987

Avid Pokemon TCG Card collector.
Litten...... i always choose fire types. I do trade to get the other starters eventually on the same journey to even things out.

Sham

The Guardian of War
Water Types are pretty much my favorite types since I pretty much believe they’re the most extensive when it comes to developing Pokémon inspiration.

Primarina being based on a singing Fairy Type Siren was awesome and a marvelous idea and with that I immediately knew which starter I’d be choosing when it was revealed.

Red and Blue

I picked all three since I did playthroughs for both Sun and Moon and Ultra Sun. But since I picked Sun first I went with Litten because it was my favorite out of the three

Last edited:

Captain Jigglypuff

*On Vacation. Go Away!*
I started with Rowlet during my first play through because I liked it the best but I have since rotated among all of them in each new game.

Trillion

rowlet was my starter when i played moon. i liked the litten line too, but i liked decidueye better than incineroar so i picked rowlet

for ultra moon i picked litten since i'd already used the rowlet line by that point

popplio was never even considered. i've always hated it and it's my least favorite first stage starter of all time. brionne and primarina are good though

Ryker101

I was pretty close to choosing Rowlet but Incineroar looked cooler to me so I went with Litten. I’m glad I did, it was really fun to use and a beast in battle. I did choose Rowlet in the ultra games tho

Mysteryguy

Rainbow Trainer
I picked Litten the first time through Alola. Actually ended up ditching Incineroar later for Salazzle. Mostly because my team was filled with slow pokemon and it got annoying. Honestly, despite Salazzle not being great generally speaking, it did better for me ingame. Gotta love high speed + high attacking stat.

In Ultra Sun I used both Rowlet and Popplio and kept them throughout.

Bownzinho

Rowlet on Sun, Litten on Ultra Moon. It took about 10 minutes to decide between Litten and Popplio but I always use the water starter and I fancied a change

vondecayle

Long gone are the days
I chose popplio, but almost picked rowlet. Both lines have nice final evolutions. I can’t stand the cat line though, don’t like the halloween colors or the final evolution at all.

Ohshi

Banned from Club Penguin
Rowlet because Decidueye has the coolest design out of the three IMO.