• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What starter to choose

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutty

Forever now
Charmander (Charizard) is overrated, while Bulbasaur is underappreciated, Squirtle is the cool one. So pick up Squirtle.
But I suggest to try three of them to get to know them well.

You Can't Go Wrong With Any Of The Three Starters From Kanto (Bulbasaur,Charmander,and Squirtle). All Three of There Designs are Really Cool and So Are There Evolutions. When Choosing a Pokemon It All Depends on Which Pokemon's Final Evolution You Prefer, What Other Pokemon You Plan on Using on Your Team, And Which Style You Prefer In Using. Venusaur (Bulbasaur's Evolution) Stats Add Up To 525 Specializing in The Special Attack and Special Defense Categories. Charizard (Charmander's Evolution) Stats Add Up To 534 Specializing in The Special Attack and Speed Categories. Blastoise (Squirtle's Evolution) Stats Add Up To 530 Specializing in The Defense and Special Defense Categories. All Pokemon has There Strengths and Weaknesses so Types Don't Matter Whether it is Immune To, Weak To, Resistant To, or Damage Normally By.

With all Of That Being Said I Choose Charmander. The Charmander's Line is Amazing. Not Only is Charizard The Strongest out of The Two but His Movepool is Very Deep as Well, So You Can Utilize It In Many Ways In Which It Can be Effective.

Charizard is Also a Fan Favorite so Thats More of a Reason to Choose it.
Hope this Helps When You Are Choosing a Starter.

Last edited:

☭Azimuth_055☣

Thou enraged?
Depends on your type of choice but I would recommend Squirtle because it is more of a middle ground between the unappreciated Bulbasaur and the Overappreciated Charmander.

Cyberra

pain in the ***
I'm going to go through LeafGreen once with each. But that's more because I want the different legendary dogs at the end. I usually choose chamander as I'm a fire-type trainer by preference.

Riversong

Buggy down.
All three are good. Bulbasaur is the only dual-typed starter, being grass/poison. This makes for a good advantage while going through the Viridian Forest, and later against Koga. Bulbasaur is also strong against the first two gym leaders. Pick it if you want an easier time starting out.

Charmander is weak against the first two gym leaders and doesn't become dual typed until Charizard, and even then the typing isn't too good. However, fire types in general make a good offense. Also, in FR/LG it is easy to get it to level 13 in time for Brock, at which time it will learn metal claw. This can sweep Brock's team.

Squirtle remains water type through all evolutions. It's well balanced. Personally I don't see this starter picked as much as the other two. It'll be strong against Brock and neutral with Misty.

So pick whichever appeals to you. They're all decent pokemon.

spyrosgost

OFFLINE FOR EVER
The eassier way is to start with bulbasaur cause the 2 next gym leaders are brock and misty,so with grass type you will be able to win easy.With squirtle you can beat fast brock because he has ground type.Finally you can choose charmader which is really hard at first cause all your moves at the first gyms will be ''not effective''...but in the end you will kick some asses!

ashiemore

I would probably pick Bulbasaur. Its sleep powder helped me to solo every kanto gym, even the ones it was weak to.

~ashiemore

rodrigogb10

When I was little, I always picked Charmander because he's a sick fire-spitting dinosaur. Also, it wound up somehow that all my friends bought player's guides that told them to start with Squirtle or Bulbasaur because it was easier to start out with them.

As grass Pokemon go, the Bulbasaur family is one of the strongest in RBY. They are one of the few that will learn Leech Seed; a powerful healing attack that will, coupled with Toxic, leave an opponent weakened considerably while your Pokemon barely lifts a finger. Bulbasaur is usually considered the easiest starter, if only because it's type advantages dominate the first two gyms, while your other Pokemon are just beginning to grow and learn new techniques. Later in the game, many trainers will begin to use Psychic-type Pokemon, which Venusaur is weak to. Fortunately, its Special stat is very high, though difficult to take full advantage of offensively due to it's odd movepool; Venusaur excels defensively.

Squirtle was another favorite starter, able to take full advantage of Geodude and Onix's poor Special stat with super effective water attacks. Unfortunately, the Squirtle family's versatility in the later game is dwarfed by the many other great water-type Pokemon to choose from. It's not that Blastoise is a bad Pokemon, it's that you might want to experiment with a Lapras or Starmie, but already have a substantial water Pokemon on your team. This problem also lies with some flying types, so watch your electric vulnerability. Luckily for Blastoise and its pre-evolutions, it comes with a top-class Defense and Special stat, and being a solid water type it's at a disadvantage to electricity and grass types only. It's movepool is also quite versatile, the largest of the three, with many ice type attacks available (as common with most water types) but also a variety of powerful physical attacks as well. Squirtle is a solid starter, with lots of different options and movesets available, however water is such a common type you may want to dabble in some other options.

Charmander is a difficult starting Pokemon. It not only has a difficult time with the first two gyms, but is generally a slow learner. Once you hit the later game however, Charizard is an imperative asset. It's speed is second to none among the three starters, and while Squirtle and Bulbasaur have safety in Defense and Special, Charizard falls prey to low Defense, and its strength split between Special and Attack. Luckily, Charizard may become offensively very powerful due to it's speed and ability to learn moves like Swords Dance and Double Team. Fire is often a very unique touch to any team, while water becomes somewhat common and mundane. It takes some thinking to pull the out the entirety of Charizard's strength, but once you find it, it can be a very powerful force. Not to mention he's a freaking dragon and looks sweet as hell. Venusaur rhymes with ***** sore, and Blastoise is a fat turtle that will hit you with a super soaker. I may be bias, but I'd rather have a flame-spouting dragon monster.

Either way you go, there are strengths and weaknesses with each choice. What maters most though, is your own personal preference. Who your favorites are and what types compliment each other on your own team. If you have a great moveset for Blastoise, go for it. If you're afraid of psychic types, use Charizard and dispatch them where it hurts. Or pick Venusaur for taking a huge amount of damage and dishing it right back. It's all up to the trainer to make the most of his or her Pokemon.

I would never pick charizard on leaf green or fire red when you can get an arcanine.

There are not that many grass pokemon that are good in those games so bulbasaur would be the best here.

nathandg0924

Back in the meantime
Either Charmander or Squirtle. I don't care if people will say if the former is overrated because it's just my opinion but I go with the two because both are versatile and great really. But if you don't like overrated Pokemon, I'd say Squirtle because he more balanced and he can learn surf and cool moves too.
- Nate the;448;

CMD Calcio

L'Amore per Sempre
I prefer Bulbasaur in 3rd Gen as Venusaur fit my playing style best. Charizard drops like a rock when hit by anything and Blastoise lacks the durability to be the tank it should be.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Pick Squirtle like almost everyone else in here is saying. It's a good Pokemon and provides a lot more than Bulbasaur does. Game's too easy with it anyway... xD

UniversalCon

I would say go with Charmander until you can find a Pokemon in the wild that suits what you're looking for. I've done the same with a Paras and it worked out fabulously.

Shayminslicker

Comes out of Nowhere
Squirtle is the best gym wise its also the best elite 4 wise because it can learn moves like bite (it can take real care of Agatha!)

spyrosgost

OFFLINE FOR EVER
Charmander (Charizard) of course, cause its the most powerful!

Zoruagible

Lover of underrated characters
I think Charmander and Squirtle are the easiest to use. Bulbasaur is a good choice if you want a challenge though

Status
Not open for further replies.