• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What Strategy will Ash use when he faces Paul at the Pokemon League?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SketchFox7

If he uses only his Sinnoh team:
Torterra - Torterra
Magmortar - Buizel
Electivire - Gible
Honchkrow - Pikachu
Weavile - Infernape
Ursaring - Staraptor

If he uses his reserves to help him & that'll surprise Paul:
Torterra - Glalie
Magmortar - Buizel
Electivire - Donphan
Honchkrow - Pikachu
Weavile - Infernape
Ursaring - Snorlax

Either way, I think Ash will be smart & rely on type advantages more than luck.

To be honest, I think that Ash thinks that his team has something to prove and though he may be using his reserves I don't think he will against Paul, so he can prove he is strong

--> kahing

"Strategy? Who cares. We've made it this far right? And we're going all the way!"

I really doubt that Ash would actually think much about his strategy before battling w/ Paul in the League. It's all going to be last minute thinking.

CliveKoopa

I like the way this thread title seems to assume that Ash will definitely face Paul in the Sinnoh League like whoever started this thread already knows that Ash will face him. You don't know that he will face him, Ash never faced Gary in the Kanto League.

Shadoguardian

Why assume that Paul will use the same team he used the first time he battled Ash. In all likelyhood he could switch it up, like using Nidoking against Pikachu, or he could evolve Lairon to Aggron to face off against Ash's Staraptor.

psbigg

I like the way this thread title seems to assume that Ash will definitely face Paul in the Sinnoh League like whoever started this thread already knows that Ash will face him. You don't know that he will face him, Ash never faced Gary in the Kanto League.

tahts true but i suposed he didnt fight him beacuse richie was introduce right b4 the league although he fought him in johto and btw i think you know that if the wirters dont put ash vs paul in thea league alot of the ppls around here will be verry dissapointed.

honestly i knew from the begining when he met paul that he would face him in the league

ST8

Fourth Gen Veteran
Just to answer that question by CliveKoopa I started this thread, and started it not because I knew that he would face him, but because I hope that he will face him. And I'm sure a lot of people have the same hopes as me which is why I started this. I wanted people who are like me to have their say about what they have thought up strategy-wise for Ash's presumed league battle against Paul. Besides after that new intro 'The Greatest Everyday' it's hard to believe that he won't face him. Does that answer your question?

CliveKoopa

Yes it does. I meant no offence by the way. I'm just saying that we shouldn't assume that Ash will definetely face Paul. I haven't seen the Greatest Everyday opening yet. Like with Harrison, Richie, etc, we might get introduced to a new character in the middle of the Sinnoh League arc so we may or may not get the Ash vs Paul match.

Why assume that Paul will use the same team he used the first time he battled Ash. In all likelyhood he could switch it up, like using Nidoking against Pikachu, or he could evolve Lairon to Aggron to face off against Ash's Staraptor.

But he didn't chose new Pokemon in full course battle. It doesn't matter if Ash releases and change Pokemon, he will use the same Pokemon except for Weavile who might get replaced.

ST8

Fourth Gen Veteran
If Weavile does get replaced then who might replace it?

Trainer Yusuf

VolcaniNO
If Weavile does get replaced then who might replace it?

Feraligatr. That's what many people believe and Silver has a Feraligatr and Paul is a Silver ripoff. Yeah he was not revelaed to have a Feraligatr but whatever.

ST8

Fourth Gen Veteran
That would make sense considering that most of Paul's team are very much live Silver's. Let's not get off topic here, try to think of more strategies. C'mon lets have a bit more life in this thread.

Fofa

Thunder Trainer
Personally, I'd love to pull some kind of mind game on Paul to make him lose his cool and focus. After all, besides using weaker reserves, Paul's temper helped to cost him the fight against Brandon. But Ash is too nice for that.

It's also a shame that we don't really know the genders, since attract could prove to be helpful (I have the feeling that all of Paul's pokemon are male, though so are Ash's). Confusion, leech seed, freezing, and sleep would help.

And as unlikely as it is, Gible would really need to evole in order to really be helpful, unless its size allowed it to dodge attacks. Buizel's also at risk here thanks to him following his predecessor's refusal to evole. But evolution isn't everything.

Ash would also need to try think like Paul, to try and predict his next move. After, knowing is half the battle.

With anime being a visual medium, it should provide no excuse for the writers to make some awesome, though still believable combinations to catch Paul off guard.

Ash needs an epic win at this point.

SuperiorMX13

OC of Mime Jr!
I think Ash will switch all his Pokemon except for Pikachu because when he face Paul at Lake Acuity Regi said Paul based on his Pokemon i don't know if Ash will do something retarded and keep his old team but he is stubborn pointed out by Misty many times

"He is so stubborn"

GaZsTiC

Alternating
I think Ash will switch all his Pokemon except for Pikachu because when he face Paul at Lake Acuity Regi said Paul based on his Pokemon i don't know if Ash will do something retarded and keep his old team but he is stubborn pointed out by Misty many times

"He is so stubborn"

I don't think that after so many years of rivalry between Paul and Ash that we have seen will lead to Ash using different Pokemon to face him just so he can win. The writers aren't stupid anymore - they know what they are doing.

SketchFox7

"He is so stubborn"

I think that by using his reserves in the rest of the league, it will definitely throw Paul for a loop, by seeing Ash with all these other pokemon throughout the league, Paul will have no way to predict what team Ash is going to use against him, even though I am sure that Ash will use his Sinnoh team for Paul

ST8

Fourth Gen Veteran
It seems that Ash won't be using his really powerful pokemon in the league as we didn't see Bulbasaur, Squirtle, Charizard, Kingler, Tauros, Heracross, Swellow or Sceptile in the opening. The only fully evolved Pokemon that he will be using are Noctowl, Snorlax, Muk, Glalie and Donphan as well as all of his Sinnoh pokemon. His plan then may be to train his other pokemon and perhaps evolve them during the league. He'll still use his Sinnoh team to beat Paul though.

Last edited:

Blaziryu

I really hope Ash wise-up & use his original PKMN team (Pikachu, Charizard, Squirtle, Bulbasaur) along with Inferape & Torterra when he faces Shinj @ the Sinnoh League. If he doesn't then he's definitely going to fail.

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
I really hope Ash wise-up & use his original PKMN team (Pikachu, Charizard, Squirtle, Bulbasaur) along with Inferape & Torterra when he faces Shinj @ the Sinnoh League. If he doesn't then he's definitely going to fail.
Well maybe there is a point in what you are saying because his other pokemon were in the opening. but I think he will use his current team from Sinnoh like he used his Hoenn team in the league.

Dax

Legend

That would be horrible writing. The team that has been called weak is the Sinnoh team. Paul has been crucial in the development of Ash's Sinnoh team. Not using them against Paul would go against what the season has been developing from the beginning.

I think he should use his reserves in the League against other rivals like Barry, Nando and Conway but definitely not Paul.

Besides with all of the attacks they've been learning they have no excuse to make Ash develop a new strategy to defeat Paul with his current team.

He can definitely use Ice Punch as a weapon to defeat Torterra, if Staraptor is not tired like it was before I can definitely see it defeating Ursaring with Close Combat. I'm hoping that with evolution Torterra can have more endurance to use Rock Climb on Honchkrow plus the Energy Ball power up. Infernape will obviously shine no matter what.

They have the tools to make Ash's team win against Paul. There's no excuse to use reserves against Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.