• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What Strategy will Ash use when he faces Paul at the Pokemon League?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
I can think of some strategies Ash can come up with for his Pokemon.

First, he could build on the whole swallowing energy ball deal like Dawn did. Have Gible swallow Dragon Pulse or Draco Meteor. Have Infernape swallow Flamethrower. Buizel could swallow Water Pulse, etc.

Next, bring back Thunder Armor.

And then, there's the Spin strategy. Granted, this wouldn't work with Torterra anymore, but still could with Pikachu, and Buizel could pick it up quick enough. Staraptor, too, could do a spinning Brave Bird or Aerial Ace.

Pikachu: Thunder Armor, Volt Tail, Spin, Counter Shield, that rat's loaded.

Staraptor: Spinning Brave Bird/Aerial Ace as mentioned above. Could also rework Whirlwind and/or Close Combat into a Counter Shield.

Torterra: I can imagine a Counter Shield for that. Maybe it can spin around like Mamoswine, and then use Razor Leaf to do a Counter Shield. That and the Energy Ball Snack strategy, I think Torterra's good.

Infernape: Counter Shield. I can also imagine something like using Flamethrower on its hands and then using Mach Punch for a makeshift Fire Punch. It could also eat its own Flamethrower.

Buizel: Counter Shield, Ice Aqua Jet, possibly Spin, possibly eating its own Water Pulse.

Gible: Picture the opponent as Piplup, then use Draco Meteor. Could also swallow Dragon Pulse and maybe Draco Meteor. Could also block some moves by hitting the ground with Rock Smash to send up a wave of gravel and sand. I could also see Sand Veil coming into play.

And then there's the possibility of Ash bringing in some reserves (which is really the smart thing to do).

Donphan could do a Counter Shield with Rollout by turning on its side and spinning in place, kicking up sand.

Kingler could Crabhammer the ground to cause an earthquake, or pull a Sho's Raichu and pin its opponents with one claw, and fire a Hyper Beam with the other.

Bring back Swellow's ability to shrug off electric attacks.

Glalie could pull a Mamoswine and swallow its Ice Beam.

Torkoal. Iron Defense+spinning+Heat Wave=Counter Shield.

Spacialrend

Gallade owns
Strategy you ask? He'd go for speed!

Pokemon he's use, who else?! Pikachu, Infernape, Torterra, Staraptor, Buizel, Gible.

For surprise though I'd love to see a change in team.

Have Pikachu not compete (Like the Johto League, I think), Swap Gible and Buizel for Sceptile and Snorlax.

V Faction

www.faction.com
First, he could build on the whole swallowing energy ball deal like Dawn did. Have Gible swallow Dragon Pulse or Draco Meteor. Have Infernape swallow Flamethrower. Buizel could swallow Water Pulse, etc.
Couple things. One, I think that the 'energy eating' strategies is more suitable towards the pulse/'hodouken'/spherical ball of power type attacks rather than straight up fiery or beam attacks. I can't see Infernape eating his own Flamethrower anytime soon (it's funny to picture such a thing). Two, I feel like the strategy is distinctly Grotle-based, meaning the Pokemon doing the eating has to be big enough and built enough to actually get the energy into their mouths and then utilize it. Sadly, I don't think Buizel is a candidate for this. He's more about firing off his Water Pulse like an energy palm blast. And three, though Gible does possess a rather ENORMOUS mouth which makes it seem like the potential for eating his own attack like a no-brainer, I get the feeling they're going to make Draco Meteor follow the same style we've been seeing these past couple of episodes: Meteor gets charged up, launched into the air, and explodes into a bunch of shots to rain down on the opponent. It's one of the most unique attacks I've ever seen. They probably don't want to change it.

Yep, to me, the Energy Ball snack strat is going to stay in Grotle/Torterra's court for now. But I surmise that it shall be a big part of his available offenses.

And then, there's the Spin strategy. Granted, this wouldn't work with Torterra anymore, but still could with Pikachu, and Buizel could pick it up quick enough. Staraptor, too, could do a spinning Brave Bird or Aerial Ace.
The spin doesn't seem as prominent as it used to be. Makes me hope that it hasn't been forgotten. Like you said, Buizel and Staraptor would be prime candidates.

As for any older Pokemon that may come into the picture before Sinnoh finishes, I'll just bet that the decision will be made to have them return with their own unique strategies to coincide with the Sinnoh abilities. It shall be a blending of Ash's intelligent mind, both old and new. East meets West. Some old favorites I'm sure will return:

Bayleef: Vine Whip control, of which there has been none of this saga (unless you count James' Carnivine)

Donphan: Rollout power, which has usually resulted in a combination of speed and destructive force.

Torkoal: The Iron Defense defense!

Noctowl: Hypnosis and Confusion illusion, turning fights into battles of cunning rather than destructive forces.

Corphish: Crabhammer, for that shell-shocked power-packed punch to the face!

thunderblade12

I wonder if beam attacks can be swallowed or just round ones. Beam attacks may need to absorbed through the body like Pikachu's Thunder Armor

Sinnoh League:

Pikachu - Thunder Armor, Volt Tail, Spinning Didge, and Counter Sheild.
Quick Volt Tackle - A combo of Quick Attack and Volt Tackle
Volt Bolt - Stops running mid-Volt Tackle and releases that energy as a surprise Thunderbolt

Torterra - Spit or Swallow?(is my name for that move).
Earth Pillar - Land is created when Torterra uses Rock Climb and is shattered under the opponet's feet with Earthquake/Power.
Rock Hammer - Torterra blasts the opponet with a Rock Climb first and then jumps off the hill to stomp them with Wood Hammer

Infernape - Counter Sheild
Flame Punch - Infernape begins a Flame Wheel/Flare Blitz but ends it. Combined with Mach Punch
Flame Bullets - A variation on Flame Punch. Works when Infernape uses its rapid fire Mach Punch.
Unearth Blast - Infernape uses Dig and explodes the ground underneath it's opponet with Blast Burn.

Buizel - Counter Sheild, Ice Aqua Jet
Self Created Ice Aqua Jet - Now that it has Ice Punch
Ice Ball - Creates a Water Pulse and Ice Punches it toward the opponet like a volleyball
Ice Shield - Slans Water Pulse on the ground to create a wave and then freezes the wave.

Staraptor
Brave Combat - Interupts Brave Bird to shift into using Close Combat.
Quick Bird - Quick Attack + Brave Bird
Talon Grip - Staraptor picks up an opponet with it's talons and slams to the ground with Brave Bird

Gible
Mystic Dragon- It's version of Grotle's Energy Ball Absorption
Ground Meteor - A Draco Meteor released from underground

Gliscor(By the off chance it returns)
Flame Impact - Gliscor uses Fire Fang while using Giga Impact to create it's version of Flare Blitz
Landing Impact - Attaches itself onto a Flying type opponet and uses Fire Fang/Giga Impact while they both spirial towards the ground.
Ice Resistance - Activates Fire Fang to protect itself from oncoming Ice attacks as it glides towards it's opponet.

Muk
Sticky Punch - Muk traps the opponet in it's body and pummels them with Focus Punch/Poison Jab

Snorlax
Belly Drum - Not really a strategy. I'd just like to see Snorlax become Ash's version of Ursaring.

Bayleef
Harness - Bayleef ties up it's opponet with Vine Whip and slams them hard with Body Slam.
Herbivore - Eats it's Leaf Storm for a power-up

Cyndaquil
Counter Sheild
Fire Star - Swift+Flame Wheel
Smoke Eruption - Uses Eruption in the middle of it's own Smokescreen

Totodile
Tail Jet - Propels itself with Aqua Tail to increase the power of a Physical attack.
Ice Tail - Ice Fang+Aqua Tail
Counter Sheild

Noctowl
Air Dive - Blasts an Air Slash and flys through to to be surrounded by wind aura. Increases Noctowl's speed but ends if Noctowl collides with the opponet
Zen Cannon - Zen Headbutt +Confusion

Donphan
Hidden Power - Physical - Similar to how Mamoswine combined Hidden Power and Take Down, Donphan can Combine Rollout and Hidden Power

Corphish
Water Ninja - Creates a field of Bubbles and skillfully jumps from bubbe to bubble to confuse it's opponet before landing a quick Night Slash
Hard Hammer - Uses Harden to increase the power of it's Krabhammer rather than it's defense

Torkoal
Overheat...literally - Torkoal begins to use Overheat and then stops. The heat gets trapped in Torkoal causing flames to blast from Torkoal's shell. Major power up but, like Overheat, it weakens Torkoal slowly. If Torkoal uses Overheat the power up will end immediately.

Glalie
Ice Charge - Glalie uses Ice Beam while using Headbutt to freeze itself.
Ice Shard Swallow - Same as Mamoswine's. Icicles come out of the black stops of Glalie's body.

ST8

Fourth Gen Veteran
There we have a brilliant example of a combo master for the anime. Thunderblade12 if I was part of the pokemon company I would use nearly all of those ideas in the league. If the writers do use some of your strategies in the league then I seriously don't blame them. That is a perfect post to put onto this thread. The rest of you are also doing very well putting your ideas forward for strategies.

Well done all of you especially thunderblade12 and Missingno. Master.

Doom-Burn

I have other move strategies.

Staraptor - uses Aerial Ace and when it disappears behind the opponent, Staraptor uses Brave Bird or Close Combat. I call this technique Aerial Combat

Gible - Rock Smash on the ground to bring a large chunk of rock out, it then uses Dragon Pulse to send the piece of rock flying into the opponent - like a Horizontal Draco Meteor (Pulse Smash?)

Grotle - unleashes Energy Ball, then it uses Razor Leaf and making the Energy Ball "suck up" the Razor Leaf, increading it's speed, power and size (Doesn't seem reasonable, but could still happen)

Buizel - uses Aqua Jet into an Ice Punch. Stream Punch?

Infernape - Use Flame Wheel and then powers up a Mach Punch, when it is near the opponent, Infernape fires the Mach Punch, slamming the opponent to the ground in a ball of flame. Flame Meteor Smash

I might think of some more...

Last edited:

Slowking[George]

#SPP-WiFi HOP
Most prominent example that comes to my mind is Pikachu using Quick Attack to gain lots of speed then while using Quick Attack put all that power into a powerful Volt Tackle. Oh and Iron Tail on the ground to allow it to jump straight up.
As for Buizel, it could use Water Pulse then hit the blast of water with Sonicboom, splitting the water into small water droplets to counter attacks such as Hidden Power or Razor Leaf (or Ember).

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
Okay, in all honesty, Ash's team has changed far too much for him to incorporate any old strategies.

Techniques like Counter shield can stay due to Pikachu and Buizel not changing at all. Although Buizel may become more melee oriented due to it learning Ice Punch. Ash won't pass up the chance to attack head on.

Infernape has become vastly different from Monferno and Chimchar. Its gotten faster and will become more of a melee Pokemon too like Flint's Infernape. It will learn more punching moves and probably Close Combat later on.

Torterra won't be like Grotle at all. It will be much too big and slow to try any of the moves it could previously do. Like Paul's Torterra, it will become a stationary Pokemon with little to no movement. Swallowing Energy Ball and running around with Rock Climb just doesn't seem it like it will happen. I feel the battle with Rhyperior was the last we will ever see of that technique with Ash.

Staraptor doesn't need to change. It already kicks butt on so many levels and is Ash's go to Pokemon when it comes to Paul.

Gible still needs training with Draco Meteor, so Ash won't have time to develop anything with it.

I feel Ash and Paul's battle will be just them trying to bring each other's Pokemon down. Sort of like Ash's battle with Tyson. Nothing flashy and too contesty, but more of a means to show how strong each trainer has become.

Last edited:

Ash-kid

Ash-kid
Pikachu Counter Sheild.

Buizel - Counter Sheild.

It did not work last time against Paul. Besides, I think Ash shouldn't use this strategy again. it worked only against Fantina's pokemon because it was appropriate for that battle. Ash should make a new strategy especially for the battle vs Paul.

V Faction

www.faction.com
It did not work last time against Paul. Besides, I think Ash shouldn't use this strategy again. it worked only against Fantina's pokemon because it was appropriate for that battle. Ash should make a new strategy especially for the battle vs Paul.
They did work against Paul. But it simply wasn't enough.

And may I remind you that it helped slightly more in Fantina's battle? It wasn't the sole winning strategy. Remember, she even took it from him and used it herself.

J-boogie200

Being that most battles that result in a win for a main character don't come easy, I expect Ash to not sweep Paul's team.

There's no well in hell each of Ash's pokemon will get a win against Paul making it 6-0 because it'd be so boring.

I expect Torterra, Buizel, Infernape, and Staraptor to do some damage.

If the writers plan on having Infernape be the last one standing, that obviously means Ash's other 5 will faint.

So, I want everything to be fair, and I think Buizel should take care of Ursurang, and at least weaken Paul's Torterra with Ice Punch.

With reserves and this saga being unpredictable, I could be very wrong.

Phantom champion Z

Buizel should learn Rain Dance to activate Swift Swim and Gible should learn Sandstorm to put Sand Veil to use. I can't see any other way for those two to improve without evolving. The whole team would benefit if Pikachu learns Light Screen, otherwise Ash doesn't really have any defensive moves except for Synthesis.

Satoshi doesnt care for those super strategic moves he likes pokemon with lots of "pizzaz" as he said himself. so the more dynamic move combos like the one thunderblade12 posted are more likely .

Last edited:

Missingno. Master

Poison-type Trainer
I thought of some more.

Donphan:
Hyper Power; Donphan charges up a Hyper Beam, then swallows it, and releases the energy in the form of a supercharged Hidden Power.

Gible:
Underground Meteor; Gible uses Dig, then fires off Draco Meteor underground to make the ground beneath the opponent fall apart.

Kingler:
Crabhammer Toss; A dodging technique. Kingler aims a Crabhammer at nothing, and the momentum sends Kingler flying in that direction faster than it can walk.
Bubble Bomb; Kingler charges a Hyper Beam, but switches to Bubble at the last second, so each bubble contains explosive Hyper Beam energy, and explodes violently upon hitting the opponent.

Noctowl:
Psych Out; Noctowl uses Hypnosis to trick the opponent into thinking it's already won, and uses the time to charge up its most powerful Confusion attack.

Lunar-Sneasel

When it comes down to it, Pokemon is a scripted show, so some of the match ups won't be based on strategy so much as drama. Such as:

Ash's Torterra vs. Paul's Honchkrow
Torterra has lost to Honchkrow twice, it will probably beat Honchkrow in the League.
One possibility is the energy ball trick. I think this is still feasible for two reasons. First, Dawn's Mamoswine, which is about the same size, can use a similar trick effectively. Second, this is Ash we're talking about, unpredictable is his thing. If Bayleef can jump fairly high using vine whip, he'll find a way to make this work. Plus, this would definitely surprise Paul, and could give him an edge.

Option two is take a page out of Paul's Torterra's book and use stone edge or frenzy plant.

Infernape will probably be used against either Tortera or Electabuzz. With Torterra he'll probably hit hard with fire type attacks. Electabuzz, maybe some hand to hand fighting. I'm not sure. Pikachu might end up facing Electabuzz too.

Also, if Gliscor gets the same treatment Squirtle and Charizard did, it might find itself up against Paul's Gliscor.

Snorlax and Ursaring could be a good match up.

J-boogie200

^ I so agree with you on the Snorlax vs Ursurang thing.

Snorlax, IMO, is very underrated. It had some decent wins under its belt and if Ash ever does an Elite Four challenge, Snorlax should definitely be on his side.

TotalPotato

Vegetable of Doom!
I feel Ash and Paul's battle will be just them trying to bring each other's Pokemon down. Sort of like Ash's battle with Tyson. Nothing flashy and too contesty, but more of a means to show how strong each trainer has become.
I really, really hope that this isn't the case. Honestly, Ash vs. Morrison and Ash vs. Tyson were both enormous letdowns for me because they were almost pure slugfests. Heck, the best battle in the Hoenn League was against that girl with the Walrein who I forget the name of. It's like the battle choreographers just stopped trying for those last battles.

Besides, Paul is the type of guy to battle with strategy. He will use every trick in the book to help him win, and I don't think he'll give that up just to blast Ash's Pokémon with powerful attack after powerful attack.

deathseer

Oh, u mad bro?
I really, really hope that this isn't the case. Honestly, Ash vs. Morrison and Ash vs. Tyson were both enormous letdowns for me because they were almost pure slugfests. Heck, the best battle in the Hoenn League was against that girl with the Walrein who I forget the name of. It's like the battle choreographers just stopped trying for those last battles.

Besides, Paul is the type of guy to battle with strategy. He will use every trick in the book to help him win, and I don't think he'll give that up just to blast Ash's Pokémon with powerful attack after powerful attack.

I didn't mean them just firing off attacks. I meant that the battle should show their skills as trainers. I would rather not see Ash pulling off Counter Shield and stuff like that. I would like him see battle like a trainer should and not like a Coordinator, which he seems to do sometimes. I'm hoping it will be an interesting battle, but not with Ash acting all flashy with his Pokemon.

ST8

Fourth Gen Veteran
May I just remind you Deathseer what Ash's dream is. To become a pokemon master. Conquering the Sinnoh League as well as beating Cynthia should do the trick but to become a pokemon master you need to master every aspect of the pokemon world including contests and breeding. Ash has learnt a great deal since the first series and now uses strategies based off some of Dawn's strategies, which are of course related to contests. He has learnt how to care for pokemon in this series as well. Remember the Pachirisu episode.

So Deathseer you are partly right but ash showing what he has learnt in his pokemon's techniques and moves shows that has the potential to become a pokemon master.

V Faction

www.faction.com
I don't have an issue with all the improvisation. That's what Ash does; it's his shtick. That's how he compensates for not having move-specific counters, like Protect, Feint, Brick Break, weather attacks, etc. etc.

I've compared him to a coordinator in the past, but it's a different type of comparison. He's not trying to be flashy and showy with his Pokemon. Rather, like a coordinator often does, he's thinking outside the box in relation to move usage, strengths, and weaknesses. He doesn't use attacks in the stadard, preprescribed way, like the way a normal trainer (such as Paul) does. He doesn't have Grotle swallow Energy Ball to show off his amazingly green leaves, he has him swallow Energy Ball to kick some ***!

Status
Not open for further replies.