• Hi all. We have had reports of member's signatures being edited to include malicious content. You can rest assured this wasn't done by staff and we can find no indication that the forums themselves have been compromised.

However, remember to keep your passwords secure. If you use similar logins on multiple sites, people and even bots may be able to access your account.

We always recommend using unique passwords and enable two-factor authentication if possible. Make sure you are secure.
  • Be sure to join the discussion on our discord at: Discord.gg/serebii
  • If you're still waiting for the e-mail, be sure to check your junk/spam e-mail folders

What Timeline do you think the Main Pokemon Games follow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

randomspot555

I guess.

But did that Jubilife TV broadcast take place before or during the HG/SS player character's journey?

Well by the sounds of the report, the Red Gyarados still exists and isn't captured. So either before, or during the journey BEFORE Ethan gets to the Red Gyarados.

On another note:, the other problem with "Platinum overrides DP continuity" is DP mentions Red Gyarados in the TV broadcast, while Plat's first broadcast is about Rowan.

Kaiserin

please wake up...
I have no reason to believe BW's post-game in East Unova isn't canon, but I haven't played B2W2 so its possible something in there retcons all that. But even after beating the E4, the Sages still have to be tracked down, Looker is introduced, as is Cynthia, so I find it hard to believe East Unova isn't canon.

It... sort of is and sort of isn't. The non-canon parts would be if the player caught Kyurem in BW, mostly. But I'm pretty sure it's canon that the post-E4 eastern half of Unova is considered to have happened.

gamer_legend

Well here's the way I've calculated it.

The Beginning - Pokemon FireRed and LeafGreen - Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald & Pokemon Colosseum are all set in the same time period. My reasoning behind this is the fact that during mission in which the player has to help Celio get the transfer machine working he refers to Hoenn in the current tense which implies the games are set at the same time whereas in Colosseum their is a transfer machine that works in similar manor and during the timing of that game no Gen IV pokemon were discovered or even known.

Later Years - Pokemon HG/SS/Pt/D/P/Pt & Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness
Gold and Silver as everyone knows was set 3 years after FireRed and LeafGreen which naturally makes it later in the timeline and numerous references are made in the game to "Mt Moon Square, Professor Elm and the 2 Legendary Mascots" which as we know Mt Moon Square didn't exist until some point in between FR & LG which seems to imply that both games take places in the same timeline or atleast a very close one. Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness is set 5 years after Colosseum and the presents of Munchlax and Bonsly seem to imply the timelines are rather close to that of D/P/PT.

Further in the future - Pokemon Black and White
The main evidence which bases itself on this games timing is the fact that Cynthia references her battle to Lucas and Giratina which took place in the events of Pokemon Platinum which of course suggests it was in the past.

Now - Pokemon Black and White 2
Clearly set ahead of Pokemon BW as even the title of the game suggests swell as the countless time it's mentioned in the game.

So as far as I see it it goes like this.

Pokemon FireRed/LeafGreen & Pokemon Emerald, Ruby and Sapphire are all set at the start of the series.
Pokemon Colosseum and Pokemon XD Gale of Darkness are set sometime during or between these events.
Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver/Platinum/Diamond & Pearl are all set (at least) 3 years following the events of FireRed and Leaf Green
Pokemon Black and White is set after the events of Pokemon Platinum
Pokemon Black 2 and White 2 are set ahead of the events of Pokemon Black and White.

Endolise

TengenToppaBoogaloo
Well by the sounds of the report, the Red Gyarados still exists and isn't captured. So either before, or during the journey BEFORE Ethan gets to the Red Gyarados.

On another note:, the other problem with "Platinum overrides DP continuity" is DP mentions Red Gyarados in the TV broadcast, while Plat's first broadcast is about Rowan.

The report could have been filmed before Ethan/Lyra got there but aired after they captured/defeated it. There was probably some editing or something to be done anyway like with most broadcasts.

Also, Platinum still mentions the Red Gyarados later on; some reporter near Lake Valor (I think) says he was involved in the filming of it.

Last edited:

Aegon

Where are you getting the length of gaps between games from?

I believe that the remakes overwrite the canon of the originals.

randomspot555

Where are you getting the length of gaps between games from?

I believe that the remakes overwrite the canon of the originals.

The firm gaps are 3 years between Kanto and Johto, and 2 years between BW and B2W2. These specific years are mentioned in the games themselves and related materials. Everything else is speculation, though a good amount of it (such as Steven's appearance in HGSS, Cynthia's appearance in HGSS and BW, etc....) has some evidence behind it.

red2000

Liger Zero!!!
The best way I could put the time is

Generation 1 is first of course

now I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that R/S/E happened either between Kanto and Johto or between Johto and Sinnoh, its weird because Steven shows up in HG/SS and you inherit his Villa in D/P/Pt, an educated guess would say between Johto and Sinnoh due to the Red Gyarados, which happens in Johto, which happens 3 years after Kanto, and its references in D/P/Pt. That and given the "Trade event" in FR/LG is one sided as there are no references in R/S/E

Now the 4th Gen games I believe happened around the same time, or no more than a year or two apart, again because of the "Red Gyarados" references and the fact that Professor Oak seems to be looked up to by both Prof Elm and Rowan as a higher authority figure, not to mention hes a radio celeb as well

as for 5th Gen, Unova is so far away that it could've happened at any time, but given that Cynthia is referred to simply as "PKMN Trainer Cynthia" and the fact that she mentions the Giratina event at Mt. Cornet this leads me to believe that it takes place some time in the future

and BW2 of course is just a sequel,

Last edited:

Wishing Star

Astral Charm Owner

Unless the HG/SS player character overhears something about how the Red Gyarados was first spotted at the Lake of Rage, one could say that its appearance is chronic.

I mean, it could appear once every month or something like that, and Jubilife TV may have reported an appearance that happened before the HG/SS player character got to the Lake of Rage.

Status
Not open for further replies.